When?!

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read all this and decided to get a certain Tom clancy game that just came out, to while away a bit of time.  I hate anticipation so this will take my mind of BF.  Working offshore has advantages, everyone at work/school during the day so I have time to play.  And the wife wonders why DIY takes so long.

Edited by Doc844

I had ordered the 3.0 upgrade for CMFI on March 6 on this same computer with no problems.

The SSL problem started yesterday and was resolved at roughly 0300 EST (Boston/NY/Washington DC).  Unlike DNS changes, SSL doesn't have much (if any) propagation time.  In theory it's all or nothing in that either everybody gets a valid SSL connection or nobody does.  Specific end user stuff can cause problems, but I'm not sure why it's affecting only a few.

I've poked around and it seems that Windows Vista through Windows 10 have a certificate cache which, sometimes, can be a pain in the rump.  Basically if it gets a rejection and then doesn't consider making a new check if certain info looks the same.  It appears our old and current cert have that sort of common information and therefore Windows might be giving up too early in the verification process.  Here is an article from Microsoft and a more recent how to guide:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/search/en-US?refinement=61&query=crl+cache%2C+windows+10%2C+clearing

http://windowsitpro.com/security/forcing-expiration-locally-cached-certificate-revocation-lists

The latter offers a better explanation of what is going on than the Microsoft article.

Note that the only apparent downside of clearing the cache is that you might notice a tiny speed hit when you return to a secure website you've used in the past the first time you revisit.

Steve

... So without further ado my prediction for the CMFB release is between April 25th and May 28th.  Lets hope Steve and CO make me look bad again but this time by beating that.

I'm gonna be bold here and guess that we'll all be finally playing CMFB by late next week. So put me down for having guessed March 25th. (What's the prize for the person who comes closest?!) I could be WAY off, though, as it's my first time here on the forums during a major title release. I'm just sensing that they really want to get this product out the door ASAP. Probably all just wishful thinking on my part. Can't wait to get my hands on Final Blitzkrieg, as the new maps look incredible!

Edited by sttp

Sure it's not a cert problem ?

Positive.  The way certs work is either they are valid or are not valid.  It can't be something in between.  Since lots of other people aren't getting the message, the cert is fine.  Our server guru also confirmed it is working fine.  However, there are end user specific issues which can cause problems.  In my case Firefox needed me to toggle on/off the system clock synch.  Before that I got the same bad cert message, after it worked just fine.

Mind you this problem is definitely rooted in our cert having problems yesterday. For sure it was broken yesterday.

The article I just posted is likely the solution for you guys who are still having problems.  Windows viewed the bad cert, put it on the naughty list, takes a quick look at the new cert, thinks it is the same one it checked before, doesn't bother to dig deeper to find out they are not the same.  It makes sense when you think about it. 

Shortcuts are great when they work, but there's a reason people refer to them as "shortcuts" :D  Like the backyard "shortcut" I used to take when I walked to primary school.  It worked fine as long as the homeowner's German Shepherd wasn't in the yard!  When it was we had a choice... make it an EXTREMELY short short cut or take the long way around.  Being kids we tended to do the dumb thing and hope the chain held as we ran at top speed.

Now that was a fun memory to dredge up!

Steve

Edited by Battlefront.com

So, another way to go for those with a problem is to override your browser and continue anyway.  I know it sounds scary and all that but you know Steve and BFC and they have explained what is the issue is (broken yesterday and fixed to day but some people cannot see it).  So, we all know things are OK and there is no spoofing going on.

Do you have the option to "Continue to this website (not recommended)"?

http://superuser.com/questions/307062/ie9-permanently-accept-untrusted-certificate

Just pick it we all know it is actually safe. 

Note do not follow any instructions you might find for disabling certificate checking for the whole browser - that would be bad.  Following the link in the dialog box above is OK since it only ignore the problem for that one site for this visit.

One other thing you could try is check our computer's BIOS clock.  When I was looking for a site with how to bypass a certificate error I saw mention of problems like this being fixed by making sure the computer's clock was set correctly.

So, another way to go for those with a problem is to override your browser and continue anyway.  I know it sounds scary and all that but you know Steve and BFC and they have explained what is the issue is (broken yesterday and fixed to day but some people cannot see it).  So, we all know things are OK and there is no spoofing going on.

Do you have the option to "Continue to this website (not recommended)"?

http://superuser.com/questions/307062/ie9-permanently-accept-untrusted-certificate

Just pick it we all know it is actually safe. 

Note do not follow any instructions you might find for disabling certificate checking for the whole browser - that would be bad.  Following the link in the dialog box above is OK since it only ignore the problem for that one site for this visit.

One other thing you could try is check our computer's BIOS clock.  When I was looking for a site with how to bypass a certificate error I saw mention of problems like this being fixed by making sure the computer's clock was set correctly.

yes, I clicked on continue on to the page, but it refuses to let me continue and right clicking on the page gets me nowhere.

The links Steve pointed to above looks to be way, way above my pay grade. I am now more confused than I was before.

I think we checked for that.  Even if we didn't, nobody has reported any problems until today.  Yesterday, for sure, the wrong cert was in operation.  That happens whenever we have to restart webservices on our server, which we did yesterday.

Just got an email with a hint about something.  Will report back as soon as I know for sure.

Steve

Edited by Battlefront.com

Give it a shot now.  We think the problem might be fixed for everybody.  Fingers crossed at least!

Steve

I did just try again, the screen flashed white about 3 times and then landed on the check out page ...I went over all the info to make sure everything was correct and it was ...billing and shipping addresses all ok, only thing left was to click the NEXT button... so I did ...BOOM it takes me right back to the store page :(. Tried a second time, same thing. so close but no cigar.