Russian Arms Expo 2015

Peter Cairns

Had a look at this a day or so ago; 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_F6-MtZX8eU

Some interesting footage, although with the usual Russian production values.

i wonder what if any might get a future inclusion in BS.

I Know the Russians seem to have decided not to introduce the support version of the T-72 or T-90 with the 30mm gun and move to new platforms, but if BS takes into account the recent financial impact of the oil price and sanctions it might be all they could afford or produce. Like wise they talked elsewhere about a Bmp3 with a 57mm gun option.

I doubt they would have a roll in BS but I liked the Amphibious carrier a bit like an updated Duck or Buffalo and that huge articulated thing at the end.

oh and was it just me or was everything faster than in the game...... 

Peter.

Vladimir,

Your right about the Expo, like Airshows it's about showing off. 

What surprised me looking at the footage compared to the game was acceleration. Top speeds weren't that different and vehicles particularly the BMP's turned slowly like in the game, but from a standing start they seemed to get to top speed quicker and given how important it is in the game for Russian players to minimise exposure to the accuracy of US weaponry that could be a factor.

Having said that it could be that the same applies to US vehicles and that a decision was made during game design that combat isn't a race and what the game shows is less than what can be done in reality but more representative of real life situations.

Peter.

I don't know what you American bros expected, It's an arms expo.... Of course they are gonna show off the mobility at its peak level.

Its got nothing to do with being American, or Russian for that matter. We are talking about sales pitches, after all we are all looking to sell our death dealing machines to other countries.....who would probably be better off spending money on hospitals or schools.

Sales folks are the same the world over. Whether they are selling BMPs or Bradleys, the bottom line is hooking the customer.

Vladimir,

Your right about the Expo, like Airshows it's about showing off. 

What surprised me looking at the footage compared to the game was acceleration. Top speeds weren't that different and vehicles particularly the BMP's turned slowly like in the game, but from a standing start they seemed to get to top speed quicker and given how important it is in the game for Russian players to minimise exposure to the accuracy of US weaponry that could be a factor.

Having said that it could be that the same applies to US vehicles and that a decision was made during game design that combat isn't a race and what the game shows is less than what can be done in reality but more representative of real life situations.

Peter.

I would imagine it also depends combat loading, extra armor, fuel, etc.

The Wood1,

I hadn't thought of that and you could well be right.

Stripping out everything that wasn't essential would certainly make a BMP quicker off the blocks in an exhibition event than combat.

I seem to recall the Germans getting caught when the Leopard won a contest when it turned out they had entered three different versions; One with a precision set gun for the gunner test, a full one for an armour test, and a special light weight one for mobility.....maybe that's where Volkswagon got the idea from!

Peter.

Peter Cairns,

That video was effectively unwatchable, almost unbearable for me, given my head injury, what with the lack of image focus, bouncing camera and the wind rush (get those people one of the furry thingies for the mic) all at once. I sat through a big chunk (shortly after the tanks popped near instant defensive obscurants) before giving up in despair and not a little green around the gills, too. Maybe it got better, but I was in no shape to stick around to find out.

BTR,

Thanks! Bookmarked what you provided and found this, which was well worth watching, though I wish they'd skipped the tedious video of the panel discussions, contract signings and the like, such as the human flood on the move between the sprawling exhibit halls. I do get, though, this was a marketing event, and that the whole point was to turn attendee excitement into weapon sale contracts. This is the final official movie covering RAE 2015, and the AFV and tactical vehicle stuff is simply tremendous. Both the T-14 and T-15 were on exhibit there, but very little was shown of them. Even so, quite the thrill for me. How I wish I could go to something like that!

Regards,

John Kettler