The name: with "Blitzkrieg" in it

Ok.  I guess I am just asking for an explanation of the name.

I thought "Blitzkrieg" was a very specific attack doctrine, which can be explained better on this forum by those other than me.

Is the title referring to the assault commonly know as the "Battle of the Bulge"?  If so, was that really a blitzkrieg?  For one thing, the air power, as evidenced by Stuka's early in the war, was not, I don't think, a factor.

A surprise attack, yes.  But neither the earlier attack into Poland or France was truly a surprise,  And thought the particular avenue of attack into France was surprising, I did not understand that as a particular "Blitzkrieg" aspect--the term being uses as a particular way of using one's combined arms forces.

I can't imagine the term is being used for the Allied's advance into Germany--which was methodical.

And at this point in the war, I thought the Russian's, and thus the Allies, had already found the counters for "Blitzkrieg", including defense in depth.  I realize that one of the criticisms of German military thinking was not to adapt to those counter measures, but I thought by the "Battle of the Bulge", Blitzkrieg was not really a viable option for them operationally to pursue.

[Again, I am feeling old, and that WW2 reality is fading.]

But I am very willing to understand otherwise.

I

The Ardennes offensive has been called Hitler's "last blitzkrieg" many times.  It's colorful and evocative.

Sure, the plan wasn't exactly the same as the blitzkrieg days of the early war, but it was the last time Germany would launch a surprise mechanized offensive aimed at catching the enemy off-balance and winning through shock and maneuver.  The failure of the Bulge nicely bookends the successes of the early invasions.

I recall reading somewhere (probably here on the board) a short while ago that the word 'blitzkrieg' is not so much doctrinal as a propaganda term. Rather like the Pentagon today throws around fancy terms like 'transformational warfare' that may have a doctrinal component but are mostly razzle-dazzle to impress subcommittee members.

Germany planned to make it to the Meuse before the allies had time to react and then on to Antwerp. If you look at their fantasy timetable instead of the reality of the battle it did indeed have a 'blitzkrieg' aspect to it.

Edited by MikeyD

Vanir is correct.  "Blitzkrieg" was used by Germany's opponents to describe the way the Third Reich conducted itself on the attack.  Mostly because it was not the way they were structured to act on the offensive.  The Germans, on the other hand, referred to it as "attacking" :)  There's no single definition of what is and isn't a Blizkrieg.  However, there are some generally accepted concepts.

"Blitzkrieg" is primarily about acheiving a decisive outcome within a very short time at disproportional loss to the enemy.  Such a strategy, for it to be practical, involves elements such as surprise, concentration of force in key areas, attacking logistics as well as troops, choosing ahead of time what to take and what to bypass, using all fighting arms as if they are one, etc.  Absolutely Wacht am Rhein fit this definition on paper even though in reality it didn't.

And the OP is correct that the Allies had effectively countered it with doctrine, force structures, and weaponry.  Made easier by the fact that Germany was on its last legs and a several critical aspects of the Wacht am Rhein offensive were "wishful thinking".  The thought that Germany could achieve a breakthrough to the Dutch coast AND hold it was highly unrealistic even if just about everything went right.  Unfortunately for the German soldiers having to fight in actions like this, unrealistic was pretty much the norm coming from those who made the big decisions.  They were often tasked with what amounted to useless action (best case) or a suicide mission (worst case).

Steve

Ok.  I guess I am just asking for an explanation of the name.

I thought "Blitzkrieg" was a very specific attack doctrine, which can be explained better on this forum by those other than me.

Is the title referring to the assault commonly know as the "Battle of the Bulge"?  If so, was that really a blitzkrieg?  For one thing, the air power, as evidenced by Stuka's early in the war, was not, I don't think, a factor.

A surprise attack, yes.  But neither the earlier attack into Poland or France was truly a surprise,  And thought the particular avenue of attack into France was surprising, I did not understand that as a particular "Blitzkrieg" aspect--the term being uses as a particular way of using one's combined arms forces.

I can't imagine the term is being used for the Allied's advance into Germany--which was methodical.

And at this point in the war, I thought the Russian's, and thus the Allies, had already found the counters for "Blitzkrieg", including defense in depth.  I realize that one of the criticisms of German military thinking was not to adapt to those counter measures, but I thought by the "Battle of the Bulge", Blitzkrieg was not really a viable option for them operationally to pursue.

[Again, I am feeling old, and that WW2 reality is fading.]

But I am very willing to understand otherwise.

I

You may be over thinking this just a tad! ;)

Well BFC couldn't have called it Battle of the Bulge even if they'd wanted to. They'd have two CMBB's and we'd all get confused. So Final Blitzkrieg is alright with me.

Yep, there´s enough titles out there with Bulge and Ardennes and even when maybe somewhat misleading, Final Blitzkrieg is more eye and mind catching IMO.

Not only that but the Germans never actually called it blitzkrieg. Thats a name that was applied by the press and Allies.  The whole concept of a German war of movement and forcing decisive battles quickly to defeat enemies they could never defeat in long term attrition wars is called Bewegungskrieg (sp im sure)

You may be over thinking this just a tad! ;)

Yes, though I'll bet there was a lot of thought at BFC before picking the title.

And when I think of alternatives (given they seem to want a 4 letter abbreviation), their choice looks better.

Combat Mission: Reich's End  --would be better for the sequel to Red Thunder

Combat Mission: Bastogne to the Elbe.  --descriptive, but maybe not as catchy

Combat Mission: Hitler's Gamble --probably one does not want that man's name in an internationally released title.

And the title eventually given to the BB assault --is-- inelegant and almost trivializing.  "Battle of the Bulge" now often meaning attacking your weight problem.  So, maybe "Final Blitzkrieg" will catch on.

OK, Combat MIssion: Final Bewegungskrieg it is then ;)

I'll bite.  Are BFC titles translated into German, and, if so, is Bewegungskrieg what they will use?

I think they should have called it Panzer Crush! 2,000,000 copies sold in 1 month! Mwahahaaha

You forgot to add "Saga", it needs to be Panzer Crush Saga, like all other titles from King. By the way, Activision bought them for like a gazillion bucks. How can we get BFC financing like that?

This is the west front, so it would have to be Final Panzer Leader.

You are exactly correct--and I almost put that.  (I just thought Panzerblitz was a more interesting word, and FPL is 3 letters, not 2, and that the emphasis of the CM title is a certain offensive, not the leaders of the offensive.  But, as I said, you are correct.  The big game difference between the two games, IIRC, is that Panzer  Leader had opportunity fire.  This kept units from just running from woods to woods, which made the first title often be referred to as "Panzerbush")

We have come a long way in 40 years--the computer now rolls the dice. ;)