BETA AAR- Spoiler- Discussion Thread

And yes, I think the whole pick-your-own-forces aspect of these is a reliable source of catastrophe.  Should be possible for a neutral third-party to pick an interesting balanced force mix so we can talk more about the actual fighting and less about force mix imbalances.

And I think it is cute that you think that would stop the discussion about force mix imbalances. :D

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And I think it is cute that you think that would stop the discussion about force mix imbalances. :D

^^^ How soon everyone forgets the last AAR which was a 3rd party made scenario in which the whole discussion revolved around the company of Abrams tanks the US player got as reinforcements. Balance is about more than just OOBs and many scenarios are deliberately unbalanced for historical reasons.

i think they should just get stuck into some carefully picked historical battle. 

also, is there anyone lurking in this thread really (or semi good for that matter) with photoshop? it would be interesting to see combined screenshots from both sides, sort of overlay of both forces on same map.

more on topic... i don't remember anymore the composition of bills forces on his right flank (i can see germantruppen being completelz molested on their right flank by bill. before banham pts that big tank in more advanced position he will have nothing to support but himself i'm afraid). but the real battle might develop in the town on bills right side. if all the infantry barricades there it will be difficult for bill to dislodge them without infantry.

Don't think I would want a scenario AAR with totally balanced forces. IRL that doesn't happen generally if your the attacker you want/intend to have an advantage in some respect.  And if someone has picked the wrong type of OOB in regards to his enemies force then tough luck that's war.

Hello gentlemen

CMBN fighting in bocage

CMFI : hills and  abrupt terrain

CMMG : urban combat

CMRT: forest

and...

CMFB : cold environment

So my question is: could you share some recommendations for this type of terrain ?Good links to read ?

For example, c3K recommends "His tanks need to stay back...in roads". There are another things to keep in mind?

Tactics to fight into cold environments? Advantages and disadvantages ?

Some advices from veterans players of CM games will be much appreciated.

Sorry for the off topic. Didn't want to open a new tread

Thanks for answers and help

Regards

Advantage in cold environment: much easier to keep a cool head.

Don't think I would want a scenario AAR with totally balanced forces. IRL that doesn't happen generally if your the attacker you want/intend to have an advantage in some respect.  And if someone has picked the wrong type of OOB in regards to his enemies force then tough luck that's war.

Also, historically US and British forces were significantly more armor-heavy on average than the Wehrmacht, although Bil's force structure is admittedly towards the extreme end.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

Am I the only one that is stunned that the sdkfz251 gunner is still alive after popping his head up and firing?

Must be a Christmas miracle..

But I seem to recall from the c3k-Hardenberger MG game that Bill got a tiny bit uncomfortable when things didn't go as he had anticipated. And as a result he momentarily didn't perform as flawlessly as usual. 

He, like the rest of us, must surely must be baffled by this abhorrent absence of enemy armor. His opponent might benefit from Bill's confusion. (If he's fast, and lucky.) 

Am I the only one that is stunned that the sdkfz251 gunner is still alive after popping his head up and firing?

But I seem to recall from the c3k-Hardenberger MG game that Bill got a tiny bit uncomfortable when things didn't go as he had anticipated. And as a result he momentarily didn't perform as flawlessly as usual. 

He, like the rest of us, must surely must be baffled by this abhorrent absence of enemy armor. His opponent might benefit from Bill's confusion. (If he's fast, and lucky.) 

Bil is human, huzzah.

Or a "The enemy have 30m Target Arcs and wouldn't open fire with their small arms at 550m anyway," miracle. That's how you're supposed to use Hanomag MGs: from outside range where the enemy infantry can effectively reply.

My only worry for Bil is that the 12 recon elements will too rapidly become attrited to uselessness and he'll have to use his armour to do his recon, which could get painful.

I don't think it will take Bil too long to figure out that Baneman doesn't have much armor. Bil is very good (the best?) at figuring out enemy forces based on hinted sightings, ears upon railway tracks, and entrail burning. Once he recognizes that he has the armor advantage, he will focus on each of Baneman's tanks in turn. Baneman will lose them...but will make up for it when he charges his JagdTiger (with inop gun due to a long-range 90mm hit) in an attempt to ram one of Bil's Jumbos. His hope is that secondary detonations will avenge his panzerwaffe...

Let's hope the bogging monster deal's his evils equally to Bil and Baneman.

C3K I think you have broadly described the flow of the game to come....

Womble I think for us it will be a lesson on how to use Jeeps for recon, but if Baneman can deprive Bil of his Jeeps he has a slight chance....

BTW i see the Bog monster has struck....

Max. When it comes to tanks there is no need for a minimum requirement :D

30% sounds like a good house rule to me. Been a while since I played pbem, but recall an escalating arms race with armour with each new battle.

By the way guys, this mixed with ChrisND's lets play on youtube has prompted me to re-evaluate my use of quick. Seems like he used it all the time regardless of whether troops were tiring or tired. I tend to try and marshal them to keep them at ready state. Does it not affect pixel troop performance much to have them at tiring or tired state?

30% sounds like a good house rule to me. Been a while since I played pbem, but recall an escalating arms race with armour with each new battle.

By the way guys, this mixed with ChrisND's lets play on youtube has prompted me to re-evaluate my use of quick. Seems like he used it all the time regardless of whether troops were tiring or tired. I tend to try and marshal them to keep them at ready state. Does it not affect pixel troop performance much to have them at tiring or tired state?

It does affect them, but it's not nearly enough to eliminate the usefulness of having them in place and ready to kick ass (even if their legs are a bit tired, so the first kicks aren't as hard; better than no kicks at all). Often. It depends on the terrain and the loading of the troops. Sometimes over-using Quick is just tiring them for no gain.

Latest turn from Bil you have to admire his timing and sense for when to pull back.

He will have upset Baneman and slowed him down just with the loss of that 1/2 track.

Superb job.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for Baneman to work out the houses on his left flank are empty. I guess he will be fearing ambush and will take some time to exploit that flank....

If it all goes to plan for Bil and this is just my assumption, he is going to frustrate Baneman make him get bored and annoyed from clearing houses and terrain features without actually killing anything substantial.  Then when Baneman thinks right sod it I'm going for it, he's going to walk right into Bil's killzone, and then it will be a bloody day.  That's my thoughts on it anyway.

Baneman seems absolutely certain he's assaulting a defended town.

I wonder how long it'll take him to figure out those two jeeps he spotted are the only enemy forces present. My guess is at least seven more turns.

It sucks he took friendly fire attacking an undefended position, but that's war...

Baneman could roll forward with a united front of Jagdtiger and Panthers that would likely be very costly for Bil to overcome. US 76mm guns are not guaranteed show-stoppers. But then he's got FOW to contend with. For all he knows there's six M36s and a 155mm M12 GMC waiting on the other side of the ridge.

Baneman could roll forward with a united front of Jagdtiger and Panthers that would likely be very costly for Bil to overcome. US 76mm guns are not guaranteed show-stoppers. But then he's got FOW to contend with. For all he knows there's six M36s and a 155mm M12 GMC waiting on the other side of the ridge.

If he had greater intel on Bils forces i think that is what he would do...Concentrate all his armour on a single target (few targets) but unfortunatelly i think Baneman runs a high risk of lossing one or all of his Panthers before he realizes Bils armour heavy force...

Bils on the move...!

The fog of war will most likely lift for Baneman shortely...But will he be able to handle whats comming ? :o

5-6 turns and Baneman's armor will be destroyed or disabled; then maybe another 5-10 turn mop up ending in a cease fire surrender... Purchase aside, Bil's skill level simply doesn't allow for any mistakes. It would have been really interesting for instance if Bil were playing the Germans with these force compositions. Maybe in the next AAR we can see Bil defend Bastogne or some other blighted situation where he takes down a platoon or two of tigers with 2 hellcats and a few bazooka teams..;-)

Edited by Vic4