CMRT Campaign: The Last Panzer (Work in Progress

SPOLIERS!

Played mission 3 The Farm the other night. It was really fun but when the soviet reinforcements arrived (about 24min before end) I was already in their zone of arrival. It was a massacre and I had to load a earlier save and then deploy my troops but It felt like cheating. Maybe deploy them earlier or at the Soviet map border?

Sadly, with access denied to the two regimental HQs, I think it will need the inclusion of at least one FO team in this mission to bring the Brummbars into play.

I will look into that problem as it was brought to my attention earlier. Tha arty was added after a suggestion from a earlier tester and I thought I had HQ assets in place.

SPOLIERS!

Played mission 3 The Farm the other night. It was really fun but when the soviet reinforcements arrived (about 24min before end) I was already in their zone of arrival. It was a massacre and I had to load a earlier save and then deploy my troops but It felt like cheating. Maybe deploy them earlier or at the Soviet map border?

I positioned them for a flank counterattack based on what I felt like most players avenue of attacks would follow. I will look into maybe a reposition or time change of arrival of those guys. Good job on that mission Big Boss.

On another note when I modeled the Russian AI on several missions I took into context the historical situation. Marshal Georgi K. Zhukov (Commander, 1st Byelorussian Front) whose forces are the main ones you will face in this campaign was essentially in a race with Marshal Ivan S. Koniev (Commander, 1st Ukrainian Front) to be the first into Berlin. Taunted by Stalin to be the first to have the glory these two pushed their men and equipment to the limit to achieve this time table. There was little finess as Zhukov knew he had many more expendable resources which resulted in the huge losses that the Soviet forces suffered as he pushed them forward in mass headlong assaults. Though the Soviets at this stage of the war were much better tactically than in the earlier stages of the war I tried to model this desperation of Zhukov's forces in some of the scenarios to take this into account.

Edited by dragonwynn

I will look into that problem as it was brought to my attention earlier. Tha arty was added after a suggestion from a earlier tester and I thought I had HQ assets in place.

Thanks for your reply. I assume that the Brummbars are considered an army, or army group unit, and that might be why they are beyond the reach of even regimental HQs. It would be a shame not to be able to make use of them. Being something of a computer dullard I don't know how easy it is for you to switch things around. It looks like you have put in a hell of a lot of hard work into this campaign.

Thanks for your reply. I assume that the Brummbars are considered an army, or army group unit, and that might be why they are beyond the reach of even regimental HQs. It would be a shame not to be able to make use of them. Being something of a computer dullard I don't know how easy it is for you to switch things around. It looks like you have put in a hell of a lot of hard work into this campaign.

Thanks Warts.  I will fix that though by probably by adding a FO to the front lines. I will wait for any further input then put up a updated cam file. 

SPOILERS

Just finished Sellow Day 1 and it was very fun. A massive armor assault against an defensive line upon a ridge. In the campaign so far I have been careful to save my panzers and in this mission it payed off big time. The first trench line where the objectives are I held with only some mg, PAK and infantry units as they are in full sight of the enemy down on the plain. My main defensive line was about 400m to the rear in height of the Sellow village. When the soviets reaches the crest they were massacred. My infantry took bloody casualties, arty did its part, but my panzers didn't loose a single vehicle. The Soviets quit the game and I won a total victory. I guess the next battle will be as hard or even harder...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok I am going to go ahead and release the campaign to everyone. Thank you to the play testers that tried it out. Hopefully I have made the corrections and adjustments that were suggested. There are two links. The first is the entire campaign and mod folder. Download this first and place the included mod folder in your dataz folder. Ignore the .cam file included with the first download.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/02ju1ce0itcv4lh/The%20Last%20Panzer.zip?dl=0

The second is the updated cam file. Download and place the cam file in your campaign directory. You should be good to go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5hjzdh5o1cwmn4/The%20Last%20Panzer.cam?dl=0

The new cam file has the following corrections:

1. The first battle The Corridor has two units of forward observers added to the 25th Panzer Grenadiers defensive positions. This will give you access to the artillery assets that were added earlier but could not be utilized.

2. The second battle The Farm has some adjustments made to the Russian force disposition. Not telling you what lol.

Hopefully this will fix all the corrections and suggestions that the testers made. As always any problems encountered message me so I can get them corrected. Hopefully all will be good. For those who have not tried this yet I hope it proves enjoyable.

Mike (dragonwynn)

3 and a half months Michael? Holy cow is all I can say. I've just started wrapping my head around campaign design (going to start off really light and probably do a 3 mission campaign designed for novice players) and I hope it doesn't take me that long!!! LOL! Any suggestions you have for making campaigns? I'm not really into custom maps (at least not yet) but I'm looking forward to digging in to the nuts and bolts of force selection, AI plans, AI triggers, balancing, etc. God bless Mad Mike for ScanCade. Just being able to look at the structure and pulling up scenarios in the editor has helped me tremendously in figuring this stuff out.

4 hours ago, [MyIS] Buffpuff said:

3 and a half months Michael? Holy cow is all I can say. I've just started wrapping my head around campaign design (going to start off really light and probably do a 3 mission campaign designed for novice players) and I hope it doesn't take me that long!!! LOL! Any suggestions you have for making campaigns? I'm not really into custom maps (at least not yet) but I'm looking forward to digging in to the nuts and bolts of force selection, AI plans, AI triggers, balancing, etc. God bless Mad Mike for ScanCade. Just being able to look at the structure and pulling up scenarios in the editor has helped me tremendously in figuring this stuff out.

Yea this one took awhile. But I have done a couple of 3 battle mini-campaigns also and they are fun to do and play as well. That is what I suggest to start with. I am a nut for detail so even when I try to keep it small it just wants to grow and grow....lol. Take your time with it and enjoy what you build. Don't make it a chore, just have fun. I try and keep mine semi-historical and you can learn a great deal researching your material. You will make mistakes, forget stuff, botch AI plans etc but thats what its all about....learning. There are many more builders in these forums that are much better than me so don't hesitate to ask questions. They are very good at helping with the ins and outs.

Try making a few single scenarios first then move to a small campaign.

Best of luck

Michael (dragonwynn)