CMRT Campaign: The Last Panzer (Work in Progress

Thanks guys. I went and grabbed the vehicle mods that were available and I have used the tracks and wheels as Barbarrico suggested and they look great. I went and did the rest of the list (or most of it) myself in photoshop so at least now I have snow treads in the early scenarios. While I was fiddling I created a  dirty whitewashed Tiger 1 (mid). The base textures were from Aris excellent Tiger art so the credit goes to him, I simply just gave them a dirty whitewash look. If you guys like I can send it to you to add to your Winter Mod collection.

Here are a few screenies:

Buisness_end_of_a_whitewashed_Tiger_1.th

Yeah if its tagged [snow] it would conflict with any other Tiger textures tagged the same. But it could be tagged however you would want, maybe [snow tiger] or something. You guys are doing great work so I can  see it being a problem with additional [tags] getting involved. It was just an offer.

Mike

Hi Mike,

I had internet issues all dang day....

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the offer, I can easily slap your Tiger into a DLC pack I upload to cmmods3. :D

I've gone that DLC pack route as the individual little uploads, each with a readme and preview image, for each separate vehicle or whatever is getting really exhausting.

Do you have or get to read "Bloody Streets" about Berlin '45?

Dragonwynn,

Yeah, I figured it was incredibly pricey by now.  

I got it for a "steal" at $175.00 when it first came out.  Had to do a lot of groveling for the fiscal department (the wife :P) to pull that one off.  I played off on the "investment" angle.  Looks like I was right for a change.

Heinrich505 

Mike,

Bloody Streets. I got it much cheaper. Anyway, looking at it from a CMRT scenario writer's perspective I could provide some brief notes for your possible consideration if desired.

Oh I have no doubt. I read the reviews and it sounded awesome. However trying to convince my wife of such "importance" would probably be like The Battle of Stalingrad with me being the 6th Army......:blink:

I meant I could send you some notes by PM of what I read or see in the book that might help you....?

For example, in the Soviet photos, the soldiers are mostly in greatcoats. FYI.

A big Soviet AFV (ISU-122) has snow sprinkled on upper hull surfaces and barrel over a green and brown camo.

A Panther G from KG Kather has hull number "122" and a big blue swastika on the turret side!

Things like that?

Oh I did misunderstand you lol. Thanks very much for the offer. I am finishing up the campaign now but thanks for the offer. I am using quite a few of your Winter Teams mods in this campaign and I hope it will do those mods justice. It was phenomenal work by all of you guys and fit perfect for this campaign. Of course credits will be given in the posting for the campaign. Would love to read that dang book though (sigh).

Thanks again

Mike

Edited by dragonwynn

Ok finally the campaign is ready for testing. It should be uploaded to my dropbox tommorrow so anyone that would like to give it a play and let me know whats working and whats not before final release let me know and I will send you the link. Warning: Due to heavy use of mods the download is a bit heavy. But the campaign is nothing without them. Details of the campaign are below.

CMRT Campaign: The Last Panzer

The Last Panzer campaign depicts the actions of Panzer Division Müncheberg from March 22, 1945 through May 2, 1945. It is semi-historical but tries to follow the actual combat engagements as closely as possible. You will be in command of the most formidable German formation left to stop the Russian onslaught to Berlin. It is designed to be played from the German side only and was created for CMRT ver 1.03.

Notes About the Campaign

I tried to keep the engagements as historically accurate as possible however due to limits in data and also limits with in the game engine I can only consider it as semi-historical. The core units in the campaign are based on the actual OOB of the Müncheberg. Also I have tried to keep the actual unit commanders as historically accurate as I could. The Russian forces are also actual units that were involved during this stage of the war.

The campaign has a total of 12 missions of which 11 are playable. On the next to the last mission you have to make a command decision, the result which will take you to the appropriate battle. 4 missions cover actions in the Küstrin Corridor, 2 missions cover actions on the Seelow Heights, 1 mission cover a delaying action just east of the village of Müncheberg. A command decision scenario and 3 missions take place in the final battles for Berlin. Below is a scenario list in order of engagement:

1. The Corridor (Meeting Engagement)
2. Night Moves (Axis Attack)
3. The Farm (Axis attack)
4. Counterattack (Axis Attack)
5. Battle of Seelow Heights (Day 1) (Allied Attack)
6. Battle of Seelow Heights (Day 2) (Allied Attack)

(Special Note: The Seelow battles do not exactly follow the historical time frame. The division was in action on the heights for 8 days but I have elected to just cover 2 for simplicity and my sanity. The actual game dates will not be in numerical order to match the mission titles.)

7. Exodus to Müncheberg (Allied Attack)
8. Berlin: The Defense (Allied Attack)
9. Berlin: The Counterattack (Axis Attack)
10.Command Decision (This is where you will have to make one of two choices to advance you to the last scenario.)
11.Berlin: Escape to the West  (Meeting Engagement) (Based on your choice)
12 Berlin: The Last Stand of Pz Div Müncheberg (Allied Attack) (Based on your choice)

The campaign also will depict changing weather conditions. Historically Germany was in the last weeks of what many considered the harshest winter in memory. The campaign will feature snow conditions in the early battles but as the time frame of the campaign advances the weather will change towards early spring with less and less snow. However conditions will remain cold and somewhat wet.

To depict this there are a number of mod tags and the mods themselves included in the download. I HIGHLY recommend playing with the mods active to get the full immersiveness of the campaign. The mods included are winter art by VM as well as the most recent project by the Winter Modification Team whose excellent work helped breathe the desired life into this campaign. Umlaut's Factory Mod is also essential in giving the look I wanted in the Berlin battles. Other mods are some creations and modifications I did myself. I use Aris's vehicle textures primarily with a few exceptions and some of the snow wheels and treads (the others were designed by the Winter Mod Team whose other winter mods added a great deal of immersiveness to this campaign) I designed using these textures as a base. I highly recommend his vehicle mods but there are other excellent vehicle mods that will work just fine.

The maps were all created by myself with the exception of the map for the scenario Night Moves, which was designed by Seinfieldrules and was slightly modified by myself. It was the perfect map for this particular scenario.

(Special Note: Most of the maps in this campaign are large with a fair amount of detail. The 2 Berlin maps are HUGE with Umlauts Factory Mod wrecking its havoc on the city. Because of this expect possible slow load times on older PC's. I really wanted to add many more flavor objects to really make it what I envisioned but I knew it would slow things down even more. Either way I hope it gives a feel for what battling in a huge city was like.)

The Berlin maps depict the Alexander Platz district northeast of the Spree River as well as a second map of the northern part of the Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg borough which lies just east of the Reichstag. I used old photographs as well as Google Earth to try and model the city layout. Its far from perfect but I feel reasonably close.

Most of the battles have the units preset up for you. However I did include setup zones so you can make adjustments if you desire. The Berlin battles however are left up to you to setup based on how many surviving units you have left and what you are trying to accomplish. The units are grouped together in their appropriate Kompanies to aid you in this and all the units on all 3 Berlin maps are in a special open area on the east or west side of the map depending on the scenario. Of course setup zones are available to assist you.

Also as the campaign moves forward the motivation factors for the units change. The Russians as they get closer to Berlin become more extreme and fanatical to represent their confidence that victory will soon be theirs.

The German units also change with the same type modification of their motivation factors as well as their experience levels. Knowing what lies ahead if they are captured by the Russians they also become more extreme and fanatical. This is designed to hopefully make for more bitter fighting which was the case at this stage of the war.

The Last Panzer, like my other CMRT campaigns may prove to be difficult at times. Its goal is a bit different than most campaigns. The goal here is not so much as victories (a minor defeat will advance you to the next mission except for the last 2 which will require a draw for victory) but preserving as many core units as possible for the final huge battles in Berlin. I have added reserve and replacement forces that will appear at particular times during the campaign as well as other units that will take part in different scenarios. But how effective you are at completing the mission parameters and still preserve your core forces will ultimately determine your success or failure.

As always please be sure and read the Designer Notes and Mission Briefs which will explain the situation in each scenario. This campaign does not incorporate a individual narrative as some of my previous campaigns but is the story of a entire division. Individual commanders will play a big role however as their death in some scenarios will result in big points for the Russians. I modeled the commanders based on the OOB listed below so for the ones not covered I simply created someone. Here is a list of the actual OOB in the game:

German Core Units:

1. Pz Regiment 29
     (1st, 2nd and 3rd Kompanies, Recon Kompanie)

2. Pz Regiment 29 (Reserves)
     (4th Kompanie)

3. PzGr Regiment 1
     ( 1st, 2nd and 3rd Kompanies)

4. PzGr Regiment 1 (Reserves)

5. PzGr Regiment 2

6. PzGr Regiment 2 (Reserves)
     (1st, 2nd and 3rd Kompanies)

7. Panzer Pionier Kompanie
     ( 1st Kompanie)

8. schwere PzJag Abt 682
     ( 1 Battery (stugs), 1st Kompanie (stugs, anti-tank guns) and 1 Zug (Lite Flak)

9. Panzer Artillerie Munchberg
     (4x 210mm Brumbars (Off Map))

10. 11th SS PzGr Nord

Russian: (Various elements mainly from the 5th Shock Army)

1. 47th Gds Rifle

2. 48th Gds Tank

3. 49th Gds Tank

4. 79th Gds Heavy Tank

5. 29th Recon Battalion

6. 295th Gds Rifle

7. 50th Gds Heavy Tank

8. 4th Gds Rifle Corps

9. 20th Tank Brg

10. 1461st SU Regiment

11. 396th Gds Heavy SU Regiment

12. 27th Gds Motor Rifle

13. 40th Gds Tank

14. 94th Gds Rifle

15. 36th Gds Heavy Tank ( 3rd Shock Army)

16. 207th Rifle ( 3rd Shock Army)

17. 95th Tank Brigade ( 3rd Shock Army)

18. 12th Motorized Rifle Brigade

Edited by dragonwynn

Looks fantastic.  Very impressive.  Can't wait to get my hands on it.  Happy to test if you''re still looking for more.

Thanks Rastamon. I have a few players giving it a go now and I am just waiting on feedback from them. Once I make the refinements suggested I will be releasing it. Hopefully shouldn't be long.

Mike

Hey @dragonwynn anything back from your playtesters yet?

Only one has given me any feedback and I have worked in his suggestions. Not sure why the others have not responded to my PM's.  Its a pretty big campaign and maybe they just haven't had a chance to get far into  it but some response would have been nice. Maybe it is just that bad that they dont want to say anything lol.

I will give it another day or so to see if any feedback comes in and if not I will decide to either can the project or release it.

Thanks for the interest.

Mike