Snow?

Anyone know if the snow can effect the speed of infantry movement? Or is it just visual only.

Would be interested in this as well, but I think this surely has been considered for ground types light snow and deep snow. I´d expect slow down of movements (not necessarily the related animations) like in CMBN for terrain types marsh, mud and the like.

Anyone know if the snow can effect the speed of infantry movement? Or is it just visual only.

The speed of move is still down to the player, however troops tire much more quickly in snow, which results in any active fast or quick command being replaced by move.

Move appears to be the move command of choice over long distances in snow.

P

I can't remember if in Cmx1 vehicles/troops left tracks in the snow. Will they in LB? It can understand that might be tricky. Even if you worked out the transformable terrain you'd probably give out info to the other side as to where you are as your opponent looked over the map. 

I can't remember if in Cmx1 vehicles/troops left tracks in the snow. Will they in LB? It can understand that might be tricky. Even if you worked out the transformable terrain you'd probably give out info to the other side as to where you are as your opponent looked over the map. 

CMX1 had none, but IIRC Graviteams Kharkov 42 (and APOS?) have these, also in non snow terrain. Another panzer simulator comes into my mind, but can´t remember atm. Deforming terrain grid would be out of question for sure, as it requires finer mesh resolution. Decals would be the usual way, but as you say FOW issues would surely prevent to get something like that implemented in CMFB, at least in higher realism modes.

I am not certain that this is the correct place for my comments, so excuse me if not.

The " how much snow on the ground? " question for each scenario is IMPORTANT, in my view, for each scenario.

How deep was the snow on the ground at the time and place of the scenario? That could be a tough question to answer.

If I recall my reading correctly, the deep snow on the ground did not occur until January, 1945. 

At the beginning of the German offensive on 16 Dec 44, the ground snow was shallow, maybe an inch.

This question should merit some consideration for the sake of historical accuracy.

• 2 weeks later...

An additional toggle to allow realistic bogging vs non-realistic bogging would be nice.  Playing with some of those new units will be sweet as long as they do not bog within the first couple minutes of the game.  I do enjoy playing ultra realistic sometimes but others just like to shoot em' up for fun. 

Would also love to see BF work on the 'tracks in snow' graphic.  That would be cool as long as it does not destroy the FOW sort of like fences and hedges getting plowed down.  Would be nice for them to work on these too. 

An additional toggle to allow realistic bogging vs non-realistic bogging would be nice.  

I don't know about that. How do you know what realistic bogging is? I feel like the game is fine to play and when driving around in difficult conditions the feeling that disaster could strike is there. I guess I just feel like they have it right.

Would also love to see BF work on the 'tracks in snow' graphic.  That would be cool as long as it does not destroy the FOW sort of like fences and hedges getting plowed down.  Would be nice for them to work on these too. 

Yeah those fences disappearing would be nice to change. I don't think we will see that for a while but it would be nice. Tracks would be awesome, in mud too and damp grass etc. It sure would be a nice addition. To keep FOW they would almost meet two versions of the battle field one for each player. As one player's units move and see more of the map the terain deformation found could be transferred from one world to the other. Actually that might work, plenty of programming effort there though.

Is the snow much different than in CMFI?

If so, would it be possible (perhaps with the next module?) to get CMFI in line with CMFB?

Is ski-infantry possible in this iteration of the engine?

e: I mostly play QB, so - What weather settings creating what depth of snow? For example, can there be deep snow and clear? I can't remember exactly how it works in CMFI.

Edited by DougPhresh

I'm reminded of The Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer, a book written by a German soldier on the eastern front. He participated in many battles in deep snow. It was like a battle in slow motion, with troops on both sides struggling to move forward even a bit. They would walk behind their tanks and vehicles, moving along the tracks they cut into the snow. That isn't possible in CM unfortunately, but I would be very surprised if BFC didn't make everything move much slower.

The speed of move is still down to the player, however troops tire much more quickly in snow, which results in any active fast or quick command being replaced by move.

Move appears to be the move command of choice over long distances in snow.

P

This is also my experience playing deep snow scenarios in CMFI...troops tire out VERY VERY quickly...I assume it will be the same for CMFB....and I assume vehicles will bog pretty darn quick just like they did in CMFI...

Certain CM conditions like deep snow, blizzard conditions, dense fog, and moonless overcast nights are extreme, not for everyday gameplay. They're there if you want to give 'em a go but aren't exactly the yardstick to judge gameplay by. Under deep snow roads disappear (at least in the current Beta). Deep snow is a challenge-and-a-half. With 'patchy snow'. by contrast, the grass still pokes through and tank tracks don't even sink down. So 'snow' doesn't necessarily need to be a synonym for 'unplayable'.  :D

Is the snow much different than in CMFI?

If so, would it be possible (perhaps with the next module?) to get CMFI in line with CMFB?

Is ski-infantry possible in this iteration of the engine?

e: I mostly play QB, so - What weather settings creating what depth of snow? For example, can there be deep snow and clear? I can't remember exactly how it works in CMFI.

Is there a snow scenario in the CMFI - Gustav Line? If so I would like to try one without loading all of them to see.

But it looks like such condition presently only can exist using the QB maker

Is there a snow scenario in the CMFI - Gustav Line? If so I would like to try one without loading all of them to see.

But it looks like such condition presently only can exist using the QB maker

Two scenarios that came with the module have snowy conditions:

1. A Temple to Mars:
    Weather: Blizzard
    Temperature: Freezing
    Ground: Patchy Snow

2. The Keep of Majella:
    Weather: Flurries
    Temperature: Cold
    Ground: Patchy Snow

At least one user made scenario has been made with snowy conditions:

1. Di Saronno:
    Weather: Flurries
    Temperature: Freezing
    Ground: Light Snow

Download here, for example (couldn't find it on the Senario Depot): http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/b-15.htm?action=download&id=11191

You can always make scenarios with "full" snow conditions, so these weather / ground options are not restricted to QBs.

Btw, if you're interested in information about the scenarios without having to open them individually, you could always give my program "CMx2 ScAnCaDe" a try.
For download link see my signature.

Two scenarios that came with the module have snowy conditions:

<snipped to save space>

Btw, if you're interested in information about the scenarios without having to open them individually, you could always give my program "CMx2 ScAnCaDe" a try.
For download link see my signature.

Thanks very much for that reply. I am going to have some  pre-CMFB   snow fun in Italy.