Some Final Blitzkrieg basic details

That footage is one of the most detailed one available of the entire second world war.

My personal opinion is that the Panther was unable to move, because, even before being hit by the Pershing, there's something strange with the right track and how it is hanging on the sprocket wheel.

Maybe this panther was placed there as a fixed anti-tank asset? Or maybe it suffered from some mechanical breakdown before this particular fight? 

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The mountain units that I know of were mostly transferred in from Finland and hadn't seen much combat for a couple years.  Other mountain units were used in the Carpathians and in Yugoslavia so I'm guessing that most mountain units still had decent mountain specific training.  I don't think any brand new mountain units were created at the end of the war in the way Para units were.  There weren't any 'branch' differences between mountain and regular army units either in the way that there was between air force and army so the internal political considerations would be absent.

Sorry to be so so late to this thread. I'm an old CMx1 hand that fell behind the technology curve about the same time I ramped up on the baby curve. But CMFB might get me back.

For gebirgsjaeger historic scenarios I'd recommend a designer look at the Battle of Reipertswiller, Jan 14-20 1945 during the Nordwind Operation. It's a lesser known battle where the 6th SS Mountain Division (newly arrived from the Arctic Circle front in Finland) decimated and captured one battalion plus attached companies of the 45th Infantry Division. My friend's grandfather was captured in the battle.

In a nutshell, the American companies maneuvered forward of the MLR onto three hills and then the Gebirgsjaeger infiltrated behind them (a skill they became expert at in Finland) and cut them off. Resupply and ammo couldn't get through and after a week and several failed breakout attempts the companies surrendered when the rest of the 45th ID had to fall back to a new prepared line.

I would love to work with a scenario designer to bring this battle to CM. I have access to primary documents like S-2 battalion journals, after action reports, war room logs, IPW and FO grid locations for German units. I've created a google map with the grid overlay used by the 45th ID during the battle. I have an FB friend who has extensively documented the terrain with photos and videos. Map would feature dense conifer forest, valley streams, tons of German artillery..

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, and so far, BFC needs to look into changing the Jagdtiger & Sturmtiger's Auto-Firing...err, I mean ROF so it's more realistic before games release ( ex; Reg Crews - Jagd 30 secs, Sturm 5 minutes ).

Joe

Edited by JoMc67

For CM Final Blitz--is there the PDF manual available ? If so -how to get to it ? ( not tech savvy). Could while away the time perusing it . Finished  TW-Attila Campaign-over 300 moves. Want a change of pace from Medieval times to WW2 !

Edited by ss11955
wrong info

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Sturm Tiger's munitions pretty much followed the vehicle?  The two crew members would be exposed while they would extract another round from beside the tank, or from a ammunition vehicle.  Like you say, its an artillery platform.  Hence the 5-7min reload time, I guess simulates this process without actually visually seeing what's going on (in a simulated process)

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Sturm Tiger's munitions pretty much followed the vehicle?

While there was a separate ammo carrier this is not in game as the vehicle itself carried 14 rounds which is what the game reflects. 

No real data for reload times seems to be out there, but all reloading of the 14 rounds was carried out inside the vehicle. Guesstitmates for reload times generally make mention of two- three minutes, but I suspect it changed as ammo was used up.

The first round was already in the breech, with the second in the loading tray. Thereafter I assume the rounds were moved slung from rails and lowered into the loading try. No reason to suppose this took too long if the crew were well practiced - more like loading torpedos on a submarine than moving 75mm shells by hand.

The crane on the rear deck was used for  ammo replenishment

P

Edited by Pete Wenman

The American M12 155mm GMC should also have an ammo replenishment vehicle following after it, as well as the Italian Semovente 90/53 SP gun in CMFI. The problem is the insane amount of one-use AI coding that would be required to get these things to work in even a half-fast way. ;) I somehow doubt much ammo replenishment of this sort got done on the front line within rifle range of the enemy (especially Sturmtiger). Which puts it outside the scope of the game. Mortars? That's something else entirely. Park an M21 HT next to a ground-mount 81mm mortar and let them 'borrow' its ammo to their heart's content... I think. I'm off to test how ammo sharing works now that we've got the new capability to fire the mortars from within the vehicle as well as dismounted.

I've seen the Panther tank use its close defense weapon against infantry, it's basically an endless stream of little grenades that didn't really seem to be doing anything to my infantry sitting 1 square away. Not even suppressing them. I think you need to get close enough to touch the tank before they cause any harm. And since infantry can throw handgrenades at a tank from 30m distance, I don't see how the tank's self defense would ever really come into play..

That's odd, BP.

I've had ( in CMRT, I think ) a Tiger immobilised in woods and multiple enemy squads were hurling grenades at - aka close-assaulting - it.
It, in turn, fired its close-defense system, killing several and eventually routing all the survivors away.

Obviously, in this case, the infantry could not sit 30m away as LoS was dire in the woods and they paid.

That's odd, BP.

I've had ( in CMRT, I think ) a Tiger immobilised in woods and multiple enemy squads were hurling grenades at - aka close-assaulting - it.
It, in turn, fired its close-defense system, killing several and eventually routing all the survivors away.

Obviously, in this case, the infantry could not sit 30m away as LoS was dire in the woods and they paid.

I have also experienced this as well with Panther tanks. One  was immobilized in open ground by troops in nearby woods (grenade.. even though I can never see Tank Grenade in their equipment, a regular grenade immobilizes the tank)  Anyways the Panther quickly used its self defense killing a few, the rest of the squad surrendered.  (My guess is on why they surrendered was because of so much damage they had sustained moral wise)