Some Final Blitzkrieg basic details

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(BTW, I'm nothing if not "gauche", Ian. Come on, Buddy.

LOL and that is why you are so entertaining.

As a fellow Canadian, you had to have taken at least a couple of years of French. Or were you away that day?)

oh man but I only got three years of French in school. Not very much of it stuck I'm afraid. My English spelling is pretty horrendous but my French spelling is even worse.

Chris had suggested y'all might want to see the break-out of the new town line signage in Flavor Objects in the title.

There's default art (for each of three regions), plus there's also [tagged] art in the game for specific towns. A scenario designer can go to the editor and tell the UI to accept tagged art of his choosing. Be aware the older 'legacy' mile marker Flavor Objects still rotate placenames randomly like the previous titles.

This is how it breaks down. You will find at least one 'town line sign' for these locations:

(Default Ardennes):
Bastogne
Hemroulle

(Default Germany):
Monschau
Aachen

(Default France):
Remilly
Metz

(Default Holland):
Roermond
Maastricht

Next we come to the [tagged] town names. To get these into the game the scenario designer needs to add the town name to the scenario tag list in the editor. Be aware the tag names are all lowercase with no punctuation or word spaces.

(tags for placename art):
bettendorf
sessenheim (France or Germany region - for Alsace)
hansurnied (town Han-sur-Nied) (France region)
meijel
stavelot
stoumont
stvith (town St. Vith)
heiderscheid

noville
singling (France region)
hatten (France region)
herrlisheim (France region)

wingensurmoder (town Wingen-sur-Moder, France region)
wiltz (Ardennes or Germany region - for Luxembourg)

Your own town line signage is just a scenario tag away!  :)

signage_sampler_jpg_dd17ddf292541a68fde0464af49b2f15.jpg

Edited by MikeyD

I more so wonder what battlefront will do about the child soldiers then, are they going to tip toe around that (which i'd be ok with, its a really uncomfortable thing to portray) or actually have them in the final month or so of the war?

Child soldiers are exceptionally unlikely to be present in Combat Mission. In fact I'm just going to go ahead and say that they won't. Besides the distasteful nature of it, which alone would be the reason to not do it, the CMx2 engine is also built with certain assumptions about how tall the soldiers are. There would have to be very involved changes to components of the engine to change that, and the performance of many systems (such as spotting, which is a big CPU drain) would take a hit.

Chris had suggested y'all might want to see the break-out of the new town line signage in Flavor Objects in the title.

There's default art (for each of three regions), plus there's also [tagged] art in the game for specific towns. A scenario designer can go to the editor and tell the UI to accept tagged art of his choosing. Be aware the older 'legacy' mile marker Flavor Objects still rotate placenames randomly like the previous titles.

This is how it breaks down. You will find at least one 'town line sign' for these locations:

(Default Ardennes):
Bastogne
Hemroulle

(Default Germany):
Monschau
Aachen

(Default France):
Remilly
Metz

(Default Holland):
Roermond
Maastricht

Next we come to the [tagged] town names. To get these into the game the scenario designer needs to add the town name to the scenario tag list in the editor. Be aware the tag names are all lowercase with no punctuation or word spaces.

(tags for placename art):
bettendorf
sessenheim (France or Germany region - for Alsace)
hansurnied (town Han-sur-Nied) (France region)
meijel
stravelot
stoumont
stvith (town St. Vith)
heiderscheid

noville
singling (France region)
hatten (France region)
herrlisheim (France region)

wingensurmoder (town Wingen-sur-Moder, France region)
wiltz (Ardennes or Germany region - for Luxembourg)

Your own town line signage is just a scenario tag away!  :)

signage_sampler_jpg_dd17ddf292541a68fde0464af49b2f15.jpg

That´s quite a good coverage of possible sign types in the various regions and should give scenario makers, as well as modders all they need. :)

Do we also get some newbies in the posters section? Some square geometry posters, or the standard one turned 90° CW would come handy for signs to be fastened at walls, telephone poles and such. B)

Hmmm... Posters.

The German military posters are the same. There's new US military poster since most battles you're over-running US positions. The propaganda posters are new and German, and the official building plaques are broken out into French. German and Dutch language. Do I have a screenshot laying around? Let me rummage.

poster_examples_jpg_b7b3c1d1af38eab768cd0e298c60520f.jpg

You know the road signs have received a lot of attention when the rifle slung from one of them is modeled.

ironically the schwimmwagen was not. =p  nice signs though, but makes me wish for some flavor objects to go with em, abandoned camp supplies, air drop crates, excetera.

The child soldiers thing is silly. There has to be some form of German units to reprsent civilians taking up arms last minute amd Volksturm. This can be represented by standard guys with armbands like  x1 but better graphicaly. You want Hitler Youth in the fight? Say such and such unit is comprised of child soldiers.

While distasteful i think the amount of civilians, especially boys and especialy in the east that fought for the Third Reich is too large to ignore. That said it doesnt have to be graphically represented.

The child soldiers thing is silly. There has to be some form of German units to reprsent civilians taking up arms last minute amd Volksturm. This can be represented by standard guys with armbands like  x1 but better graphicaly. You want Hitler Youth in the fight? Say such and such unit is comprised of child soldiers.

While distasteful i think the amount of civilians, especially boys and especialy in the east that fought for the Third Reich is too large to ignore. That said it doesnt have to be graphically represented.

Yup conscript trained, regular or maybe fanatical at times morale with poor equipment is fine for making Volksturm.

Cool signs.  But "famous Peiper photo?"  That's not Joachim Peiper chomping on a cigar next to the Malmedy sign. It's believed that man is Untersharfuhrer Ochsner.

Although Ochsner's identity as the man in that photo has not been fully confirmed, it's clear from the other photos taken of that individual that he's definitely NOT Peiper.  The other photos show a man clearly lacking Peiper's finer features, thinner face, and cleft chin.

Yup conscript trained, regular or maybe fanatical at times morale with poor equipment is fine for making Volksturm.

With the surrendering game routine overhauled somewhat maybe. Although we actually want to fight with units we get in a mission, realistically it would be way more often applicable to have such units simply surrender on first occasion, at least at the western front. And don´t forget leaders. A -1 or -2 rated leader gets his unit to surrender way more quickly as usual.

The child soldiers thing is silly.

Oh I disagree. Child soldiers is very distasteful to me. I would not want to see it in game. Having said that the soldiers faces could be altered to show a mix of younger looks and older looks to represent them just no 10 year olds please.

That said it doesnt have to be graphically represented.

oh well then no worries then. They can already represent a wide range of training and motivation.