CM Final Blitzkrieg - AXIS (Attack) BETA Battle Report

Like the screenies - and how the snow layer depth relates to where it thins out below the trees. How do the areas of flat snow in depth in the open make the transition where it is less pronounced / absent?

How are you troops doing exhaustion wise after their first minute's Fast yomp?

I never use FAST unless there's a very good reason. My guys are all moving at QUICK.

After the first turn, they were Ready. After the second, they were still Ready, but I will now start incorporating 5 & 10 second pauses at waypoints.
One thing I've noticed is that the snow tends to spread them out a bit more, so they take slightly longer to regroup at waypoints ( may just be my impatience speaking - and it's only a couple of seconds if true ).

More pics to follow shortly as we have Contact ! :huh:

We'll know in a minute ;)

10 seconds before the end of the turn, vehicle engine noises were heard in town - possibly a halftrack.
The good news is that the Panther has good LoS ( theoretically ) to the building it is behind. If a scout team pop their heads out the window, it should be able to welcome them :)
I've also shown the destinations of some of the units with thin yellow lines - let me know if you can't see them. Drilling is in position and the other Halftrack is about to disgorge its brave men to occupy a building and get some eyes down the street.

CMFB 015 Left contact.png

On the right, at almost the same time, the scouting section in a 251/3 also heard/saw some infantry movement. The scouts are debouching into the forest, the halftrack is going to swing left and hose down the woods - with luck we might even hit someone - would be nice if it was an FO, but most likely a sniper team.

CMFB 016 Right contact.png

Edited by Baneman

More info.

This pic shows the progress of my men through the forest on the right flank.
(A) is the 251/3 that carried my scouts forward and fired on the enemy infantry sounds in the above pic. The scouts themselves should reach position (C) shortly. What is interesting is that both (A) and the scouts when they get to position (C) will have limited LoS to (B).

CMFB 022 lines of sight.png

And this is why ... there's not a lot of foliage at ground level. Even with the ground cover.
The guys on the extreme right (D) should soon have eyes on the woods further back on the right - just out of LoS of the JagdTiger ( see 3rd pic ).

CMFB 023 and this is why.png

CMFB 024 Kat LoS.png

Edited by Baneman

To the left of that area, enemy scout suppression duties are handed off to the one HMG I deployed in this building at setup. Range is greater, so we will soon know if LoS/LoF extends that far. I'm moving up a 2nd HMG ( Orange circles ) to the hedge to hopefully gain more overwatch on the small woods.

CMFB 027 keep their heads down part 2.png

On the left, the halftrack (C), having dropped off its passengers, is reversing back to pick up more of the platoon and save their legs.

The Drilling in position (B) has good LoS to the left of the town. That will be backed up by the other VG teams about to enter the building ( note particularly, that the hedges are no longer "bocage" and can be moved through slowly ).

VG platoon HQ and team are in the buildings to the left of (A) who are the most advanced unit. They are about to rush across the road - see detail pic.
Final pic illustrates the overwatch position ( and because it looks cool - I should have taken it with icons off :unsure: )

CMFB 030 advances4.png

CMFB 031 advances5.png

CMFB 020 Overwatch section left.png

Baneman,

It looks cool with icons too.  The whole thing looks cool.  Thanks for sharing it.

If you make the screen shots black and white, they look very close to the real thing we've seen in documentaries.

These maps are works of art and they really enhance the game's immersion effect.

Good luck on the charge.  Your initial moves seem to be getting you quickly into place.

Heinrich505

For the moment...things are looking good !

Your advancing troops are reaching their initial objectives and the overwatch is in place.

Good start !

But i wounder...What are those tricky americans up to ? B)

You may not have Bils graphical skills...but this is a very well presented AAR (beatiful pictures and well described, easy to follow intentions)

Top marks !

'Streams' are put down in the same manner as railroad tracks and aren't connected to the water table. Actual water tiles are still one water level.

Ug. that's a disappointment. What's the reason for this, other than the obvious weird looking water graphics that might need overhauling?

Ug. that's a disappointment. What's the reason for this, other than the obvious weird looking water graphics that might need overhauling?

Well, adding a new type of linear feature is a lot less work than changing a fundamental design choice.  But that is just a thought. The fact is the streams can be made to look really nice. Even if you spent the effort to allow water to exist at multiple levels that would not really make creating streams easy at all. What they gave done is allow the creation of nice looking steams.

Streams really enhance existing larger bodies of water too. They give added natural looking terrain that makes the environment more immersive. IanL showed some in a map he did and seeing a stream in autumn without snow, them winter with snow, is really incredible to me. 

Edited by Bud_B
typo