CM Final Blitzkrieg - AXIS (Attack) BETA Battle Report

More forgotten info - very little happened in town on the left, hence no new pictures.

The 251/17 moved up and saw one jeep scarpering. It aimed and ... even as the text changed to "Firing", lost LoS and didn't. :rolleyes:

My infantry bounded forward to the 2nd last hedge before the Troublesome House. Drilling never got a spot on the enemy MG team, they were also seen scarpering out the back door at the end of the turn. They are being fired on from a team in the 2nd storey of a nearby house and I have high hopes they will not get away. Bounding team will reach the last hedge very shortly, then the runners will have no cover.

Only 20 AP rounds carried, 6 have been used ( 4 hits, 1 miss, 1 ricochet ).

Bah! Shoot HE at them! Ram them! Park the JagdTiger on a hill and let the enemy use up all of their ammo on it!

Fight to the death! It's a scenario, not a campaign! Casualties are meaningless! Victory is all that matters!

Well, I've been wondering what people think of Bil's tactics so far ?

I've been critical of his tactics from the beginning. Especially force selection. However, having accepted the forces that he chose, he could have still done very well if played correctly. He chose to go with a mobile force, yet he's not using the mobility to his advantage. Most of this fighting has been a slug fest - he's basically putting his forces in the open where it's hard for him to use hit and run tactics. I know he's using the dips and hills to try to hit and run but they aren't enough to mask his units, he needs solid cover such as buildings or forest (which seems dubious as cover for some reason).

Baneman, please use your own brains, instead of those of Slim. :)

Hehe, don't worry, after that last post, I have realised there is no such person as "SLIM".

That account is just a sockpuppet for c3k :P  :lol:

I've been critical of his tactics from the beginning. Especially force selection. However, having accepted the forces that he chose, he could have still done very well if played correctly. He chose to go with a mobile force, yet he's not using the mobility to his advantage. Most of this fighting has been a slug fest - he's basically putting his forces in the open where it's hard for him to use hit and run tactics. I know he's using the dips and hills to try to hit and run but they aren't enough to mask his units, he needs solid cover such as buildings or forest (which seems dubious as cover for some reason).

Even if he just used the mobility to create rapidly repositioning ATG's ( the point of putting tracks on 'em in the first place ), I think he could have made life very difficult for me.

He initially chose to go with a high-risk / high-reward tactic which didn't pan out ( granted, I was rather lucky too ), but he does not seem to have adapted to the bloody nose he got.
( I would have tried to save the 2 Ridge Shermans by backing them out of there back behind where the TD was KO'd while Big Kitty was back below the ridgeline - whereas he charged them again which has really only cost me 1 more infantryman for the loss of 1 and potentially the other as well ).

Well, I've been wondering what people think of Bil's tactics so far ?

( just be careful with spoilery stuff )

Obviously, there is a time and a place for aggressive defense. I think his initial counter-punch threw you off your stride. However, now it seems more like a forward defense (meaning, he's stopped counterattacking and is sitting where he's at). Given the length of the map, I'm surprised he hasn't pulled back, forcing you to advance out of cover.

Of course, the above is commentary made with both 20/20 hindsight and 20/20 clarity of both sides of the fight. Call me "four eyes". ;)  Also, I don't have a solid grasp of the map. The undulations and other bits of cover make a world of difference. It could be that Bil is in a great location. Or, it could be that he's stuck and cannot retrograde.

No tactics help when a Jagdtiger is 400m away. 

...I know he's using the dips and hills to try to hit and run but they aren't enough to mask his units, he needs solid cover such as buildings or forest (which seems dubious as cover for some reason).

I think he gotten taken by surprise on a few LOS challenges he thought he had against Big Kitty but actually did not.

LOS is hard in open space under heat of battle.

Wow, Bil just emailed me to concede ! :o

I will accept a CF as soon as I can get a man onto one of the VL's.

Well, I'm chuffed. ( although his opening assault was better than 50-50 in his favour - there I was lucky. The points to make that Panther a Veteran :wub: may have swung it. )

I think I'll raid the cellar for victory champagne :)

Now what am I supposed to do until the release of CMFB?:unsure:

Fire up Combat Mission, make your GF/wife play it and then make daily reports of her progress/failings. Oh wait, you could play it yourself to... ;) 

Congratz Baneman, you are my hero! You were the clear underdog and I have a knack for cheering for the side which has lesser chances to win. Didn't really believe you would make it especially not with such big armor disparity. 

Thanks all. :)

But, there's still the matter of taking the ban... town.
And things weren't exactly standing still either.

So - the final turn of the action.
The VG Panther travelled another 5-10m, halted and almost immediately spotted the Jumbo reversing. They lined up their perfect flank shot .... and hit the only tree between them and the entire Allied force ! :lol:

CMFB 300 VG Panther1.png

However, from this position, the Panther can cover a lot of terrain and they've reloaded when the enemy slows to cross a fence. On the scoreboard.
Pachyderm down !

CMFB 300 VG Panther3.png

Edited by Baneman