CM Final Blitzkrieg - AXIS (Attack) BETA Battle Report

That was some bold and surprising move from Bil indeed, but he also got the fortune of war to hit the Panther in a weak spot.  If it would´ve been frontal turret or the (upper) glacis plate, things might have developed more in your favor.

Hard to tell how to procede here, but most of us surely like to see big kitty getiing into action. Maybe "wasting" few 128mm HE shells on suspected enemy positions provide some fun in the meantime. :D

This was borne out by the fact that the surviving 2 Hellcats on my right both popped smoke when their buddy was hit, but the smoke was almost invisible and vanished within a turn. :(

Within a turn, wow, did not follow that. But blowing towards the enemy might offer some sort of diversion, confusion? No?

Which leaves  going sideways or.....backwards?

Good luck with those two on the attack :P

Jim I know what I would be doing now and some times you need to take a step back to then move forward.

Your tongue in cheek comment shows how often you become fixated on certain approaches that doom you to failure.

:P

Cheers - certainly Bil does not feel constrained to sit still on the defense :lol:

If there's anyone who's not reading both threads ( do people do that ? ), feel free to offer advice ;)  <looks for someone to blame:lol:>

I can't help, but I'm always on the side of the weaker one. I am reading both threads but my opinion is not influenced by Bil's current situation. You could try to follow Guderian's words: you do not hit someone with spread out fingers of your hand, but with the fist. Therefore I would put big Kitty and the remaining Panther together ASAP and prepare for an early decision. I think it does make no sense to delay and avoid it because you can't move anymore and the infantry would have to pay the price later. And in case it doesn't work, you can put the blame on Guderian, too: if the tank succeeds, victory will follow. At least then you tried the right thing.

Do the Grenadiers have smoke? Then they could screen problematic parts of the ridge during the attack. And they also could aim at Bil's tanks and make his crews keep their heads down. This could give you the decisive seconds of advantage.

At first I would break LOS with the big cat, so that it attracts all the fire first. Five or ten seconds later the Panther. Important: do NOT expose his lower hull... ;):D And I would go for the most dangerous enemy tank first, then the second one, and so on.

Or you could move the cats into LOS and hulldown even behind a smokescreen and wait until it clears. In that case the wind could help you, since you don't need to wait two or three minutes until you get LOS. Especially if you can make Bil's crews close the hatches in the minute before, this should give you a big advantage, because IME moving VS stationary is by far the biggest factor to decide spotting duels.

Edited by CarlWAW

Jim I know what I would be doing now and some times you need to take a step back to then move forward.

A mere jest but, IMHO, at this stage Baneman has no choice but to bull on.

The infantry will tire out if forced to move laterally; although there may be some wisdom in reversing and repositioning the armour.

Bil's aggressive stance has already been punished; perhaps an aggressive counter is what is called for now.

A good fight and great AARs from both partcipants. 

move your armored assets supporting each other closeby. Moving sole tank asks for trouble.

Good luck!

Bummer on losing that Panther, Baneman. I'll second what Hister said (and watch those tank riders! ;)).

I don't have time at the moment to go back and review your situation in detail, so I may be talking out of my caboose, but do you see any opportunities to do something surprising with your (most expendable) infantry? Something that might throw Bill a bit and force him to react to you, giving you back the initiative?

Defend the town, but keep on hurting his infantry, concentrate your armor if possible, if not use your 251s as bait and do not make any bold moves. It is always hard to attack an opponent who has armor superiority. There's more pressure on Bil to win this battle, so let him make the mistakes. And stop loading men on tanks or SPW's. I think you are doing well, Baneman. Bil is good, but so are you. It is always easier to defend, especially with so many tanks. Keep calm.

p.s. obviousely you are a much better player than I am and the last thing you need is my advice, but I get carried away a bit by this AAR. :)

Edited by Aragorn2002

Apologies for the delay - More pesky celebrations getting in the way.

And I don't want to rush the next turn, needs careful thought.

The HQ were riding the Panther because they were lazy. And they thought they'd get off before it got hot - unfortunately for them, Bil's spotting is red hot.
However, they were Company 5 HQ - so expendable - since the only thing Company 5 controls is the off-board 120mm mortars and their Platoon HQ is still ok.
Really I was bringing them with for more/extra spotting alongside the Panther because they were expendable.

Apologies for the delay - More pesky celebrations getting in the way.

And I don't want to rush the next turn, needs careful thought.

The HQ were riding the Panther because they were lazy. And they thought they'd get off before it got hot - unfortunately for them, Bil's spotting is red hot.
However, they were Company 5 HQ - so expendable - since the only thing Company 5 controls is the off-board 120mm mortars and their Platoon HQ is still ok.
Really I was bringing them with for more/extra spotting alongside the Panther because they were expendable.

Way to go. As I like to mention oftentimes, some the german HQ´s with up to 2 binocs are the best spotters on any CMX2 battlefields even in not so good environmental conditions. So if Bil allows, bring some other infantry there to grab the valuable binocs from the corpses.

Edit: Not yet tested myself, but does anybody know the maximum amount of binocs a single infantry unit is allowed to possess? I.e moving a (german) HQ with 2 binocs to another died for the fatherland HQ and loot a 3rd or 4th binoc? :blink:

Edited by RockinHarry

Mmmm, a hit there is almost always tickets.

What amazes me is how often a shell will hit there, considering that to get that low ( unless the Panther is rearing up over a rise or something ), the shell has effectively almost fallen short.

In this case, I'm irked because Bil is probably a couple of feet higher than me. But c'est la guerre

I´ve seen that oftentimes, but to go safe I just made a quick test. 2 player hotseat mode, sending a german Grenadier Coy HQ  (has 2 binocs) team into the fire of a US platoon, german Coy. HQ got annihilated, US platoon retreated to the back slope of a small rise out of sight of the bodies of the german HQ. Moved the german Grenadier Plt HQ (has 1 binoc) to the bodies and after 2-3 turns, the Plt HQ retrieved the 2 binocs and a radio from the dead superiors. It then had 3 binocs and 2 radios in possession. So I got my question basically self answererd, although I have to made further tests, if the upper limit for binocs in a single team is more than the confirmed 3.

Mmmm, a hit there is almost always tickets.

What amazes me is how often a shell will hit there, considering that to get that low ( unless the Panther is rearing up over a rise or something ), the shell has effectively almost fallen short.

In this case, I'm irked because Bil is probably a couple of feet higher than me. But c'est la guerre

Not sure, but could be while your Panther was about to stop movement in that second, it slightly bumps forward and then backward during that process (momentum). Maybe the shell hit during backwards bumping, thus slightly exposing the lower glacis in that crucial moment. It´s probably different factors involved in this (un-) lucky hit.

I'm not actually 100% sure. In any case, they died while still as passengers, so there may not even be bodies.

Since the hit only happened 2 seconds from the end of the turn, I can't tell yet.

Hm...my guess is that they vanish like any other passengers when caught while beeing in riding/mounted mode. CMRT players obviously know already.