Modern Russian infantry battalion structure

BTR

The mechanized infantry units mainly in the squad already PKM machine guns / control panel. RPK-74 machine guns mainly in the Airborne and the Marines, because the necessary mobility.

P.S. My opinion of the PKK in the squad in the form of what it is not needed until the store on 60 shots, or drums up to 100 shots.

I can assure you Most BMP motor-rifle companies have 10 vehicles . There was an offer at Serdyukov to enter into a company the 4th platoon and the 2th BMP in management of a company. There would be then 14 BMP in a company .Concerning MANPADS that they are given for each BMP in laying, but it on cases of the large conflict if at the opponent is present aircraft.

Idea good but as I described earlier. Don't train people for these stations of investigation, the position is on the staff of a company. And the soldier doesn't know as to use this station of investigation.

Sorry guys for my bad English, taught another foreign language.

you are operating outdated information.

since 1980s all BMP rifle companies HQ has 2 BMP, this is not about Serdyukov

information about each BMP MANPADS is same from 1980s

Information about not training companies SBR-operators going from Ryadovoi-K, who dont serve in russian army. And this information contrary to the cases of combat employment of SBR during Chechen wars.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motor-rifle brigade recon battalion is around 70% complete in research. We will backtrack to motor-rifle battalion to expand on a few things like 2S34 usage, and an extra BMP per company which seems to be a big discussion point behind the curtains ^_^.  

Right of the bat I can answer that 6MB is in service in full service, there are several brigades that are confirmed to have this modification. I don't recall seeing any 6MAs, but maybe someone can help me out on that. I'll investigate further on that though. 

Part 5 - Recon battalion

Preface. By nature, recon traditionally is one of the more secretive operational activities which translates to very poor quality media coverage and lengthened research. In that light we perfectly understand why CMBS chose the structures they chose, but they are more fictional than real. Due to that we decided to cover full OBRBAT instead of just TOE discrepancies like the last parts. It is still appropriate to start with small tool discrepancies first.

1 - Currently GAZ 233014 “Tigr” has varying amount of seating places and crew places depending on which team rides what vehicle. The total amount of places (10) is right, however in reality in *all* the recon TOEs, designated driver only takes up one place leaving 9 others for general use. In that light, we don’t really see a need for these many variants within what should be one vehicle. I think it is best and most correct to handle Tigrs like BRDM-2 was handled in CM:A. 1 crew and the rest of the slots are up for the taking, including weapon operator slot.

2 - Russian recon squads in game lack a lot of the designated equipment that makes them “recon” in the first place. No laser designators (LPR-1/2/3 family), no Doppler stations (SBR and PNSR) and no thermal binoculars like the TPN-1. Essentially their role is abstracted to better equipped infantry which does reflect their designation IRL. More on how equipment is distributed below.

3 - We understand that CM doesn’t dabble in technical micromanagement, but if the devs want to spice things up, seismic sensors could be included. This security operations equipment was standard issue to recon battalions from the 70’s and mirrors similar equipment used by the US Army infantry. These seismic sensors are the same type that mines use as well. Here it is labelled “СД”: Link (Инженерные боеприпасы. Руководство по материальной части и применению. Книга шестая. Военное издательство. Москва.)

4 - There is some strong evidence that points to BRDM-2s (or 2Ms) not being deployed for army recon duties since the switch to new brigade organisation in 2009. There are no recent photo-proofs from exercises involving BRDM-2 as a vehicle for recon units and it is not included in 2009+ TOEs. That leads us to believe BRDM-2 should be removed as a recon vehicle in CM.

Further we will examine a general structure of a recon battalion.

Structure:
Battalion HQ>

• Intelligence processing section

• HQ

Recon company>

• Company HQ

• Recon platoon (x3)

Tech company>

• Company HQ

• Recon (observation) platoon

• Tech platoon

COMINT company>

• Company HQ

• Information processing unit

• COMINT platoons (x3)

• ELINT platoon

Comms Platoon

Supply Platoon

Medical squad.

We will drop the examination COMINT, comms, supply and medical formations as they are removed from a direct field role.

1. Battalion HQ comprises of three vehicles, two of which are applicable. The  int. section of 4, including one driver  rides an MT-LBU based command vehicle (PPRI-5) and serves as a center for all battalion information. Standard AK-74M for all men.

2. HQ squad of three including one driver rides a command vehicle of a R-149BMR family. One particular TOE variant we have on hands shows MT-LBU based R-149BMRG, but we are unsure if any R-149 command variant can’t be used for the same roles, especially in BTR MRB’s.

1. A recon company riding Tigers is comprised of three platoons. Company HQ though is made up of 9 people, including two drivers. One driver takes care of company command's Tiger, while another takes care of the truck with company’s supplies and belonging. All men are armed with AK-74Ms By our TOE, company HQ also has one thermal binocular of TPN-1 type. As of February this year there have been confirmed deliveries to recon troops: Link.

2. Platoon is made of command and three squads. Platoon command of three (RATELO, Com. and Medic) do not have their own transport, and are all armed with AK-74Ms. First recon surveillance squad, much like in motor-rifle battalions, is made of 5 people including one driver and is based around an SBR-3 or SBR-5 station. One LPR type laser designator is also present. This squad is armed with AK-74Ms and one RPG-7.

3. Two other squads are of 8 people including one driver. Along with AK-74Ms, these squads have a VSS, one PKM and one RPG-7. These squads are also equipped with TPN-1s.

7. Structurally “Tracked” companies appear the same with some minor differences. First recon surveillance squad rides a BRM, which eliminates SBR operator from squad composition. Tracked recon crew is made of two people, instead of one, adding one member to each squad. Company command has one BRM and one BMP. There are also BTR based recon companies, but not enough information is available to us. From what we have, the appear to be structured exactly the same as Tigr ones, for the exception of 2 crew instead of one driver.

1. Tech recon company HQ is comprised of 8 people including two drivers and two RATELO operators. All men are armed with AK-74Ms and mount one Tigr and one truck with company’s supplies.

2. Recon observation platoon is made of one HQ (2 men including one medic), and three homogeneous recon observation squads of five including one driver. These squads are centered around one LPR device, one RATELO operator and one TPN-1 thermal binocular. All men are armed with AK-74Ms.

3. Tech recon platoon is structured very similarly to recon observation with some minor differences. It has only one officer acting as HQ, two tech recon companies of five (including driver) based around PNSR doppler stations and two signals station of five (including driver) based around 1K119 signals complex. The 1K119 complex is designed to track seismic activity through 8 separate sensors connected through two signal amplifiers. Operational range is between 5 and 23km depending on what connection is used. This equipment is out of CMBS combat scope, so we won’t go into detail on what it does exactly.

9. UAV companies are a bit of a special thing. There are sometimes entirely separate (to the point of being a separate formation), and sometimes are included as a entities in recon battalion. Most southern MD UAV companies are not separate as far as we’ve managed to gather.  

Edited by BTR

On the topic of Russian artillery, many weapons systems are not yet implemented. MRLS systems seem to be the biggest oversight, seeing as rocket artillery makes up a significant portion of the Russian artillery park.  Having said that, as a fellow Artilleryman (I believe the Russians say Artillerist) I do have some questions -

1) How is the 2B9 82-mm Vasilyek Automatic Mortar used generally? "The 2B9 can be fired as a mortar, using bombs loaded manually from the muzzle, at a high barrel elevation angle, or for automatic direct fire in the manner of a light or anti-tank gun (direct sights are provided) using the breech magazine loading feature." In support of a battalion does that mean it is well forward or held back? 

2) Are the 2S9/2S23/2S31 120mm self-propelled gun/mortars used in direct fire roles? Which units have which vehicles? i.e would a BTR Motor Rifle unit have 2S23, BMP 2S31 and only VDV have 2S9?

Edited by DougPhresh

To address your point 2) above:

2S9 are in widespread service with VDV units, and is in the inventory of some VMF units.

2S23 on the other hand was I believe intended to equip BTR mounted motor-rifle units, however it has only come into limited service with some MSV, VDV and VMF units.

The 2S31 is not in service, and is being marketed for export.

All can be fired in the direct fire role.

Edited by Stagler

On the topic of Russian artillery, many weapons systems are not yet implemented. MRLS systems seem to be the biggest oversight, seeing as rocket artillery makes up a significant portion of the Russian artillery park.  Having said that, as a fellow Artilleryman (I believe the Russians say Artillerist) I do have some questions -

1) How is the 2B9 82-mm Vasilyek Automatic Mortar used generally? "The 2B9 can be fired as a mortar, using bombs loaded manually from the muzzle, at a high barrel elevation angle, or for automatic direct fire in the manner of a light or anti-tank gun (direct sights are provided) using the breech magazine loading feature." In support of a battalion does that mean it is well forward or held back? 

2) Are the 2S9/2S23/2S31 120mm self-propelled gun/mortars used in direct fire roles? Which units have which vehicles? i.e would a BTR Motor Rifle unit have 2S23, BMP 2S31 and only VDV have 2S9?

2b9 not loaded manually from the muzzle. At all barrel elevation (-1 +85)  - you can shoot in automatic (and single) mode, using cartridge by 4 mortar rounds. That is same rounds as in 2b14. In battalion support they are held back with other platoons of mortar company. It is not used as AT gun - only anti-infantry role.  

To address your point 2) above:

2S9 are in widespread service with VDV units, and is in the inventory of some VMF units.

2S23 on the other hand was I believe intended to equip BTR mounted motor-rifle units, however it has only come into limited service with some MSV, VDV and VMF units.

The 2S31 is not in service, and is being marketed for export.

All can be fired in the direct fire role.

2s23 is very limited, jast 1 military unit in MSV and 1 unit in VMF. 
I hope
2S31  will be in serviсe soon, some limited edition, jast for experiment, 12-36 exemplars m.b. 

2B9 can be auto-fired both directly and indirectly. The loading mechanism doesn't really care for elevation. It can also be used in semi-automatic mode while firing a 5 round clip.

Automatic indirect mode, semi-automatic indirect mode, automatic direct mode. Honestly never seen it in manual muzzle loading mode. Also, all videos are of 2B9M which is air-cooled instead of 2B9 which is water-cooled. 

To address previous questions - MT-LBM 6MAs, just like MT-LBM 6MBs, were procured as company for army trials back in 2001. As evidence points, the extra saving wasn't worth it, so the MoD ordered only 6MBs. Test vehicles must have remained on MoD's books since they showed up in Ukraine back in summer 2014. In any case, 6MAs are very non-standard equipment as far as we can tell. Worth having them in CMBS just for variety though, although it is a strange pick to include them over other more proliferated equipment. 

Edited by BTR

Correction - 4 round clips for 2B9. In any case, we will take time to polish what information we have now (10 vs 11 IFV's/ MG teams for platoon command etc). We will also try to tackle miscellaneous smaller formations we have left out (sniper squads and so on). 

LPR is not designators, but imroved range finders ;). I agree, that ORBAT in CM is more similar to infantry, but their specific is more belong to operative level, which not covered in CM. So seismic equipment useless for CM level (or wait for special forces module). Thoug some ELINT elenent would be appropriate to locate sources of radio signals.

Edited by Haiduk

It's more of a cooperation between Wieking, Husker and I, although Haiduk's input is always appreciated ^_^. Yeah, LPR's are, gracefully translated, laser range-finding binoculars, I'm not sure why I used "designator" per say. Ukrainian OOB's are a bit of a mystery, CM ones appear to be a variation on CM:A ones, which isn't necessarily accurate, but then I don't really know much about them in their current state either.

To be fair about ELINT, this stuff is so over-classified and fairly removed from direct battle, that I do not see a reason for its inclusion. Some scenarios start with "general locations" of possible enemy contact, this is fairly close to ELINT results I think. 

Edited by BTR

UKR ORBAT still very close to old Soviet variant, with removed COMINT company, so I have proposed for CM this variant, which gathered from different sources. Russian ORBAT of "new image" , possibly given according to Ryadovoy-K forum info. I gave it to developers, but didn't track what they to do with it, because was lot of work with UKR TO&E. I think, you should to write Chris or Steve, for including to beta-testers and consultants team, when time for next modules will come.   

Edited by Haiduk

Part 5 - Recon battalion

Preface. By nature, recon traditionally is one of the more secretive operational activities which translates to very poor quality media coverage and lengthened research. In that light we perfectly understand why CMBS chose the structures they chose, but they are more fictional than real. Due to that we decided to cover full OBRBAT instead of just TOE discrepancies like the last parts. It is still appropriate to start with small tool discrepancies first.

1 - Currently GAZ 233014 “Tigr” has varying amount of seating places and crew places depending on which team rides what vehicle. The total amount of places (10) is right, however in reality in *all* the recon TOEs, designated driver only takes up one place leaving 9 others for general use. In that light, we don’t really see a need for these many variants within what should be one vehicle. I think it is best and most correct to handle Tigrs like BRDM-2 was handled in CM:A. 1 crew and the rest of the slots are up for the taking, including weapon operator slot.

This is an age-old compromise in CM.  If there is no dedicated gunner for the Tigrs with weapons, some players will complain, and it will hamstring the AI.  What would be nice is a dismounted option that removes the Tigr and adds an additional man to the squad.

2 - Russian recon squads in game lack a lot of the designated equipment that makes them “recon” in the first place. No laser designators (LPR-1/2/3 family), no Doppler stations (SBR and PNSR) and no thermal binoculars like the TPN-1. Essentially their role is abstracted to better equipped infantry which does reflect their designation IRL. More on how equipment is distributed below.

LPR is probably not relevant in game. Ground-mount radar was considered, but I think passed over for time being because it would not be easy to implement and was considered to have low relevance. Hopefully we will see it in a module. For TPN, I don't think thermal binoculars are an available piece of special equipment in game, but I will report its absence and see if anything can be done, either by adding it explicitly, or maybe by fudging the capability via adding a thermal sight for the squad leaders.

3 - We understand that CM doesn’t dabble in technical micromanagement, but if the devs want to spice things up, seismic sensors could be included. This security operations equipment was standard issue to recon battalions from the 70’s and mirrors similar equipment used by the US Army infantry. These seismic sensors are the same type that mines use as well. Here it is labelled “СД”: Link (Инженерные боеприпасы. Руководство по материальной части и применению. Книга шестая. Военное издательство. Москва.)

This and many other highly technical pieces of equipment in US and Russian TO&E are intentionally excluded in the game as lacking relevance.  You might be able to broadly replicate this to a degree in the mission editor using triggers for AI and maybe touch objectives known to both sides.

4 - There is some strong evidence that points to BRDM-2s (or 2Ms) not being deployed for army recon duties since the switch to new brigade organisation in 2009. There are no recent photo-proofs from exercises involving BRDM-2 as a vehicle for recon units and it is not included in 2009+ TOEs. That leads us to believe BRDM-2 should be removed as a recon vehicle in CM.

Model was on hand and since the old Soviet TO&E was included in the game in addition to new TO&E under the assumption that there might be 2nd line or reserve formations still using old TO&E, BFC left it in as a "what-if" option.

Further we will examine a general structure of a recon battalion.

Structure:
Battalion HQ>

• Intelligence processing section

• HQ

Recon company>

• Company HQ

• Recon platoon (x3)

Tech company>

• Company HQ

• Recon (observation) platoon

• Tech platoon

COMINT company>

• Company HQ

• Information processing unit

• COMINT platoons (x3)

• ELINT platoon

Comms Platoon

Supply Platoon

Medical squad.

We will drop the examination COMINT, comms, supply and medical formations as they are removed from a direct field role.

New recon battalion TO&E in game was based on this illustration of the "new look" brigade battalion, with equipment exclusions and substitutions as needed:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52409596/TOE/MIBR/Recon-bat_brigade_new.PNG

It appears to be almost identical to what you describe below.

1. Battalion HQ comprises of three vehicles, two of which are applicable. The  int. section of 4, including one driver  rides an MT-LBU based command vehicle (PPRI-5) and serves as a center for all battalion information. Standard AK-74M for all men.

2. HQ squad of three including one driver rides a command vehicle of a R-149BMR family. One particular TOE variant we have on hands shows MT-LBU based R-149BMRG, but we are unsure if any R-149 command variant can’t be used for the same roles, especially in BTR MRB’s.

Yes, command MT-LB is used as a substitute for the various specialist battalion command vehicles. Maybe in the future we will see them, but since they are arguably mostly off-map assets anyways, I believe they are low priority.

1. A recon company riding Tigers is comprised of three platoons. Company HQ though is made up of 9 people, including two drivers. One driver takes care of company command's Tiger, while another takes care of the truck with company’s supplies and belonging. All men are armed with AK-74Ms By our TOE, company HQ also has one thermal binocular of TPN-1 type. As of February this year there have been confirmed deliveries to recon troops: Link.

2. Platoon is made of command and three squads. Platoon command of three (RATELO, Com. and Medic) do not have their own transport, and are all armed with AK-74Ms. First recon surveillance squad, much like in motor-rifle battalions, is made of 5 people including one driver and is based around an SBR-3 or SBR-5 station. One LPR type laser designator is also present. This squad is armed with AK-74Ms and one RPG-7.

3. Two other squads are of 8 people including one driver. Along with AK-74Ms, these squads have a VSS, one PKM and one RPG-7. These squads are also equipped with TPN-1s.

Aside from exclusions (including VSS, which has been discussed elsewhere), the deviation I see here is 2x SVDs vs 0x SVDs and 1x vs. 2x PKM/PKPs in the platoon.

7. Structurally “Tracked” companies appear the same with some minor differences. First recon surveillance squad rides a BRM, which eliminates SBR operator from squad composition. Tracked recon crew is made of two people, instead of one, adding one member to each squad. Company command has one BRM and one BMP. There are also BTR based recon companies, but not enough information is available to us. From what we have, the appear to be structured exactly the same as Tigr ones, for the exception of 2 crew instead of one driver.

Yes, BFC had no firm info on a "new look" battalion using BRM/BMPs (or BTRs), so left them to the old soviet battalion structure.  Possibly BRM/BMP and BTR could be incorporated as options for the new style battalion in a module if they really do use the same structure, just with different vehicles.

1. Tech recon company HQ is comprised of 8 people including two drivers and two RATELO operators. All men are armed with AK-74Ms and mount one Tigr and one truck with company’s supplies.

2. Recon observation platoon is made of one HQ (2 men including one medic), and three homogeneous recon observation squads of five including one driver. These squads are centered around one LPR device, one RATELO operator and one TPN-1 thermal binocular. All men are armed with AK-74Ms.

Not sure how the observation squads in game ended up with SVDs. I will report that as a possible error.

1. Tech recon platoon is structured very similarly to recon observation with some minor differences. It has only one officer acting as HQ, two tech recon companies of five (including driver) based around PNSR doppler stations and two signals station of five (including driver) based around 1K119 signals complex. The 1K119 complex is designed to track seismic activity through 8 separate sensors connected through two signal amplifiers. Operational range is between 5 and 23km depending on what connection is used. This equipment is out of CMBS combat scope, so we won’t go into detail on what it does exactly.

Yes, this platoon is intentionally excluded.

9. UAV companies are a bit of a special thing. There are sometimes entirely separate (to the point of being a separate formation), and sometimes are included as a entities in recon battalion. Most southern MD UAV companies are not separate as far as we’ve managed to gather.  

BFC assumed battalion integration of micro-UAVs.  Higher level UAVs are abstracted as off-map, non-organic assets.

-1-

Sorry I had to cut the quote.

1) The compromise isn't as necessary from where we stand since squads can be split. Besides, CM:A showed us that it can be handled differently.

2) LPR is more relevant to artillery fire mission then one would think. Accurate ranges and all. Having it abstracted is alright I suppose, but BF doesn't take need to take the easy route here :). Shame that ground radars were passed in-game. They are quite an integral part of any relevant Russian fighting force as I hope we have demonstrated.  

3) Just a suggestion. Besides, not everything here is for BF, some things, as you correctly pointed out, are for scenario makers.

4) Yeah, I see some variation in the command structure and other bits and bobs. Even the image you gave isn't replicated fully in CM:BS though.  

5) Fair point, but we see that HQ and two tech recon squads which don't have 1K119 can be included. They would have a lot more sense once reconnaissance stations are in-game, but they can be in there now anyways.   

6) Even low-level UAV's are split into their own company by TOE's as of now. Unless we are talking about special forces which aren't really in play in CM. I also have no idea how the VDV handle their things.

7) I would ask to hold bug reports for now. The full doc isn't complete and completely proofread as of yet. It is only a 4K, 10 page document as of now anyways :D. We ideally want to submit it to the devs in a complete and pretty state.    

Edited by BTR

Excuse me BTR, one question: are the modernized MTLB versions ( 6MA and 6MB) in the game really in service in Russia? I think that these were only proposed modification. 

Thank you

Both types used in Ukraine by Russian troops and two of its were lost.

This is MT-LB 6MA of 8th motor-rifle mountain brigade (Chechya), destroyed 26 Aug 2014 on march by MT-12  AT-gun near Ilovaisk

130301_original.jpg

This is MT-LB 6MB, destroyed in border settlement Stepanovka near Saur-Mohyla hill probably 13-15 August 2014. Vehicle belonged to 17th motor-rifle brigade, also with dislocation in Chechnya. 

id5884-02.jpg

Also by 8th brigade used MT-LBVM, abscent in CM. This is MT-LB with 12,7 mm NSVT HMG. Several of its also were lost in Ukraine. Among other versions also spotted MT-LBVMK, the same as -LVM version, but armed with 12,7 "Kord" HMG. Its mostly used by the same 8th brigade and by 200th marines brigade, so, I hope, both will appeared in the next module.

Just have saw - in the game third type of this vehicle - MT-LBM has incorrect name. Really the model  represents common MT-LB with 7.62 MG in cupola, when -LBM vesion is just basement for big number of modifications, including -6MA and -6MB    

Edited by Haiduk

Alright, it'll take a little more time to proofread and edit parts 7 and 8, but I think we're just about done here :D. As I've mentioned before, we've take a step back, re-evaluated some parts of our earlier research and corrected grammar to the best of our abilities. 

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zo_Rzin4FJPNN6u3n8UtppLqRivsdZgr9O6NVhsRpX4/edit# 

Looks great! You really put in a lot of work!

e: WRT to counter-battery, the US only delivered AN/MPQ 4 counter mortar radar to Ukraine. They were unable to put fires down on 'Rebel' MRLS and Arty batteries. 

This 4 AN/MOQ-4 is jast drop in the ocean. They change nothing.

Every Ukranian meh/tank brigade has organic counter-battery unit with acoustic reconnaissance complex https://uk.wikipedia.org/wiki/АЗК-5

They also have organic counter-battery radar old type АRК-1, SNAR-10  ore modern type 1L220U «Zoopark-2»

Edited by Wieking

Not AN/MOQ-4, but AN/TPQ-48 counter mortar radar and AN/TPQ-36 counter-artillery. To this time only two AN-TPQ-36 arrived, rest will come next year. Yes. every UKR mech. or tank brigade had own brigade artillery group with artillery recon battalion, equipped with ARK, AZK, SNAR etc. But since 2012 these units was shortened and remained only in artillery brigades. Experience of summer 2014 campaign showed, that these units need turn back. But stored artillery recon equipment was mostly old and faulty. Also was lack of sklled personnel, so during late summer-autemn effectiveness of these equipment was very low. Situation was changed in winter, when radars was brought to more normal conditions and personnel gave training and combaty skill. During Donetsk airport fighting and Debaltseve Bulge battle effectiveness was significantly better.  

Edited by Haiduk

Another thing, without going into OPSEC is that at least in my experience counter-battery radars are used very carefully. In a high-threat environment those radars have a giant bulleye on them. Not only are the radars themselves targeted by the enemy because of RDF, but also ECM can interfere with their use.  For these reasons the radars are not always on. 

Maybe the effectiveness of counter-battery is weighed against enemy ECM strength. i.e If the Russians have maxed out ECM then the Ukrainians cannot interfere with the firing of the Russian artillery.