Target Arc vs. Face: more likely to fire?

All else being equal, if troops or tanks are left on their own, with just a 'bare' FACE command, are they just as likely to fire as if they'd been given an actual TARGET ARC? (I'm talking about a target inside the hypothetical arc, of course.)

It seems like setting up a target arc would compel them to fire when they otherwise wouldn't, like with low probability hits or when it'd be less effective suppression, but... after a little bit of testing in the editor, I can't seem to tell much of a difference? Does that match other players' experiences?

Has anyone done some kind of thorough testing on this?

All else being equal, if troops or tanks are left on their own, with just a 'bare' FACE command, are they just as likely to fire as if they'd been given an actual TARGET ARC? (I'm talking about a target inside the hypothetical arc, of course.)

It seems like setting up a target arc would compel them to fire when they otherwise wouldn't, like with low probability hits or when it'd be less effective suppression, but... after a little bit of testing in the editor, I can't seem to tell much of a difference? Does that match other players' experiences?

Has anyone done some kind of thorough testing on this?

From lots of past related testing I´d say (I believe) that a TA tells a unit to fire, when otherwise and without TA it would not, figuring that hit chances or effects generally would be too low. TA IMO benefits long range shooting and particularly units, that are good at it. I´ve good successes with HMG´s, 88´s and such. So long range TA encourage units to start shooting sooner and even if hit chances are rather low initially, repeated shots get more accurate subsequentially, still within ranges where an enemy can not really hurt you with return fire. The effect is likely pronounced if the shooters soft factors are good and better. Face does not much related to (quick) shooting, beside getting a unit face toward a particular target or area, while the same time using the current AS for best defensive purpose. When in doubt about possible location of enemies, I´d likely not give a TA, so friendlies can react in more flexible ways.

Surely this should be easy to test in the editor? First test some weapon to see at what range it voluntarily opens fire at. Then do another test where you set a TA at a longer range and move an enemy unit into the TA. See what happens.

I did quite some intensive testing with german HMG, before BFC raised lethality of HMG´s generally (pre V3.0?). Since then I settled with giving certain units longest possible TA, to ascertain these units make the most of any range advantage. In case of german HMG34/42 who also have at least 1 Binocs, sometimes even 2, I could raise their engagement range up to roughly 200m (around 1400m, instead of 1200m), when setting a 2000m TA. Off course only makes sense if LOS/LOF is available at that ranges and soft factors also play a role. HMG´s shooting at that long ranges off course do mostly suppressive fire, but if buying time and delaying, disrupting enemies is of tactical value, then I do not let decide the tacAI when to open fire, which is the case when not applying a TA. Also at longer ranges the enemy will have great difficulties to spot the shooter. Some armor with good long range sniping guns and good optics, als get an advantage with a set (long range) TA. While the TacAI might think, first shot accuracy is too low at certain ranges, telling it to engage nontheless by use of a TA might take more ammo to hit at last, but makes the most of any range advantage as said. There´s likely just few CMX2 maps, that give mentioned long engagement ranges, but the other value of the TA is that it gets and keeps a unit focused on a scpecific map area. That focus IMO also gets a unit start engaging enemies faster and with all the units weapons (in case of infantry) the same time, when the range fits.