CMRT WInter Mod thinktank

Alright, I am kicking the tires and thinking of putting together a CMRT WInter Mod to hold us over until the real deal arrives whenever that may be.

Maybe a holiday present to the community.

At first I was calling it a CMRT Kharkov '43 mod but now I see that is probably too much of a stretch as my other ambitious mods have exceeded my own talent and forum harness-able talent.

Vehicle modding and uniform modding just make me feel like a kindergarten kid using crayons! 

Phase I

So, for this mod I will just gather together [snow] tagged terrain bmp's from CMFI GL and have them in a folder in my CMRT z folder and we have a mod tag file called snow.txt and it all shows up when desired. We'll see what snow covered roofs cross over to CMRT as well. And the snowy tops of walls and such. Then we could have the ground condition be "muddy" which would cause bogging for our ersatz snow terrain. Make it overcast and maybe some heavy wind, cool weather, ignore the date range stuck as June-Sep and dial the time to early morning or semi-dark evening and we might have a passable winter effect. It is in the eye of the beholder and if it isn't good enough for you, then no problem, you can choose not to download it and just wait til the actual module is released. Fair enough. Oh, and some new snowy horizons. 

Phase 2

For a 2nd part to this we can get gloves on our troops, roll in the greatcoat mdr files and such. We might get some talented vehicle modders to slide us a snow camo vehicle or 2. 

We'll see if anything percolates... :D

I am open minded to anyone's suggestions or recommendations. I guess the old greenasjade site is vanished and those items are being migrated to the new depot thingy?

Anyone wanting to collaborate, send me a PM. Thanks!

Kharkov1_zpsocpvaxje.jpg

Mod%202_zps2nzfzbad.jpg

Seinfeldrules' "Amongst the ruins" map is a nice testbed for this winter effects mod.

My thought today is to offer a Russian Doll type nested download of the mod files. Strictly to keep the downloads small so folks can try it and decide if they want to continue onward with the download. Right now I have a folder of about 500MB so I just have to make subfolders and divvy it up.

Tier 1 would be basic outdoor environment. A jpeg and readme would try to guide you to what map elements are covered.

Tier 2 would add more outdoor environment and some simple buildings. A jpeg and readme would try to guide you to what map elements are covered.

Tier 3 would capture more outdoor stuff, as many trees as end up looking winterized. More buildings. A jpeg & readme would try to guide you to what map elements are covered.

Tier 4 will be special stuff I actually create fresh. All previous stuff is just copy and paste from stock CMFI GL and other previous mods....

Tier 5 I would hope is stuff people start to make if this flaps its wings and takes off. WInter Camo Vehicles and uniforms.... :D

Edit: Which would be something they'd upload to the CMMODS/repository outside of this project. And umlaut already has a significant set of axis frosty vehicles. And frosty greatcoats/helmets as well....

That is my strategy right now...

Edited by kohlenklau

My thought today is to offer a Russian Doll type nested download of the mod files. Strictly to keep the downloads small so folks can try it and decide if they want to continue onward with the download. Right now I have a folder of about 500MB so I just have to make subfolders and divvy it up.

Tier 1 would be basic outdoor environment. A jpeg and readme would try to guide you to what map elements are covered.

Tier 2 would add more outdoor environment and some simple buildings. A jpeg and readme would try to guide you to what map elements are covered.

Tier 3 would capture more outdoor stuff, as many trees as end up looking winterized. More buildings. A jpeg & readme would try to guide you to what map elements are covered.

Tier 4 will be special stuff I actually create fresh. All previous stuff is just copy and paste from stock CMFI GL and other previous mods....

Tier 5 I would hope is stuff people start to make if this flaps its wings and takes off. WInter Camo Vehicles and uniforms.... :D

Edit: Which would be something they'd upload to the CMMODS/repository outside of this project. And umlaut already has a significant set of axis frosty vehicles. And frosty greatcoats/helmets as well....

That is my strategy right now...

Sounds like a great strategy!

Phil . I was trying to figure out how to tune the whiteness of the the textures up and down but only have Paint and don't understand the graphics file format.

I will help with a if you can tutor me a bit. I like your idea of a demonstration scenario. The new textures have to be viewed in battle to get a full appreciation of their 

appearance from all static angles and under motion. 

Kevin

You'd be better off playing with GIMP. It's got a ton of features and is like a freeware version photoshop. You'd need to play about with layers and opacity of the same. From my limited dabbling with GIMP and CM it does some funny things with exporting bmps that CM engine doesn't like, which sometimes results in either odd distorted colours or shifted graphics. Photoshop is really required I think

Hi Kevin, I honestly don't plan to mess with any of the terrain. It came from CMFI GL as is. There are some terrain gurus out there that do that stuff and maybe at some point they would be interested to do some fine tuning? Meanwhile I will be working to get you a snow camo T-34 that doesn't scare people when they see it and maybe an axis tank.

I can get us greatcoats for the axis but the soviets I am not sure what I can scrounge up. Right now I have the tanker coveralls in a nasty bright white but will tweak it. 

It would be really nice for more folks to step up to the plate and contribute. I don't mean the guys who have done so much for us, I mean some amateurs who probably could get into this if they just spent an evening or 2. oh well. Onward! :D