Apache: A Tank's Tale - A CAAR

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow.  Now that is impressive. Getting the HMS Abercrombie into a Combat Missions game/ story line.  Your creativity just never stops.  Good job. 

Th things you learn here! Quick google search led me to investigate what specifically a 'monitor' (warship) was (the Abercrombie was one of only two Royal Navy Roberts Class monitors built.

Basically, monitors where notable for their disproportionately large caliber guns, compared with the lack of armour  and speed of the ship.

This picture sums it up nicely (the HMS Mashal Ney).  Reminds me of the design philosophy (sort of) of a Warthog or I guess a tank destroyer; it's all about the gun (though the Warthogs armour is also significant...)

HMSMarshalNeyUnderwayPortsideView1915.jp

Edited by gnarly

Monitors were kind of specialty items built specifically for shore bombardment. They were to be used against targets that would have been impervious against smaller caliber guns, like fortifications, but where you would not want to tie down a battleship. They were must expensive to build and operate than a battleship, but of course could not have engaged in fleet actions except in very special circumstances.

Michael

Monitors were kind of specialty items built specifically for shore bombardment. They were to be used against targets that would have been impervious against smaller caliber guns, like fortifications, but where you would not want to tie down a battleship. They were must expensive to build and operate than a battleship, but of course could not have engaged in fleet actions except in very special circumstances.

Michael

*putting my naval-history-buff hat on*

Monitors were built with a broad beam but very shallow draft. The gun was put on a massive pedestal to increase range inshore. The shallow draft allowed the ship close inshore. The broad beam allowed a very stable gun platform, and also was designed as an enhancement for survivability from torpedo hits. 

Armour protection was limited - as was the tonnage. The Roberts class was 7000 tons displacement. Something like the WWI era Queen Elizabeth battleship class well exceeded 30000 tons (they got fatter as the years went on), and a WWII era battleship like the George V class were over 40000 tons. They had as a result a much deeper draft than a monitor. 

For some fun fiction involving a monitor, take a look at HMS Saracen, by Douglas Reeman.

81pcwbqsOwL.jpg

Edited by Bud_B

Wow.  Now that is impressive. Getting the HMS Abercrombie into a Combat Missions game/ story line.  Your creativity just never stops.  Good job. 

Well, there was indeed a Roberts-class monitor that bombarded Sicily in support of the Canadians. :)

History just hands me this stuff on a plate! 

Bud, another excellent comic. Have you added some mods from the start of this comic until now?  It seems to me the pictures are sharper.

Some of the screen captures were of high contrast sunlight and shadow scenes so I had to make some adjustments to them for everything to be visible that is needed, and that may result in a slightly different appearance in some panels. :) Good catch! I was trying to not make it obvious as I want to preserve continuity of design with the section I did earlier. 

I dunno, to me it looks pretty much as I would expect Sicily to look in the summertime. It might look a bit more bleached out around midday, but that's all I can think of.

Michael

Yes, bleached out would not be odd. It was July, dry, hot, and dusty. And very bright. :D

Edited by Bud_B

The pictures look amazing to me and I was hoping you were using a mod so I could ask which one. :D  Perhaps it is only that most of the first panels did not have too many trees and the last ones have lots of trees. 

I look forward to seeing the next pages.

I'm so glad you like the images! :)

The only mod here is the one that puts Apache on the glacis of the tank. ;) Something Kohlenklau did for me. 

You're right about there not being trees earlier. Not many anyway in any shots that mattered. So there was little contrast variation that required the trickery I had to do with these. 

Should have asked HMS Abercrombie to blast anything talker than a blade of grass! Haha

Ah, at least it's sunny compared to your just-finished AAR, and with Canadians vs. Italians: I can't think of a friendlier, warmer face-off :P

hahaha! At first, as I looked over the screenshots to complete this - that I took in November last year - I thought man, that seems off! Too bright and too much colour! But I got over it... :lol:

Edited by Bud_B

Bud,

Great to see the fun continue. 

I'm guessing Germans = artillery, but will anxiously await further panels. 

With a flat bottom and being top-heavy those monitors probably rolled badly in any sort of sea more stirred up than becalmed.  I feel sorry for the stomachs of the sailors who manned them.  I'd guess they spent a lot of time hanging over the rail... :huh:

Heinrich505