Apache: A Tank's Tale - A CAAR

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! Ray didn't want to be in a 30 ton shell-magnet stuck in the sea! That rifleman was lucky he'd didn't get run over. That's the trouble when the whole army is green, and only knows combat from training exercises. They'll learn.

Thanks for posting. I was wondering if I was seriously off base with this comic from the silence. 

Thanks, Heinrich. 

Bud,

Great stuff.  I think the holidays are distracting people with RL so they aren't posting as much. 

Work only allows me gaps here and there to come back to the forum, so there will be days before I can get back to reading your posts.  That works out well because then I've more to read.

When I got comics delivered to the house, I would delay reading them because I knew I'd burn through them with vigor and then have to wait another month for the next.  With your CAAR it is sort of like that.  I come back after several days work and have several pages to read.  B)

Keep on posting.  We are enjoying the action.

Heinrich505

• 1 month later...

Subscribed! :)

Nice work! I assume this is a scenario, not a QB?

Helps if I read the first post eh? So it sounds like this is not  a normal battle, but actually more a scenario designed to provide the canvas for your story-telling? I think they are called machinama's or something (at least thats what I think video story's told with the ARMA engine were called)? But yours is different again, because you then putting them into a comic (though personally I prefer the modern term graphic novel, but of course, you are emulating the classic Commando style comics of yesteryear..)

Edited by gnarly

Subscribed! :)

Nice work! I assume this is a scenario, not a QB?

Helps if I read the first post eh? So it sounds like this is not  a normal battle, but actually more a scenario designed to provide the canvas for your story-telling? I think they are called machinama's or something (at least thats what I think video story's told with the ARMA engine were called)? But yours is different again, because you then putting them into a comic (though personally I prefer the modern term graphic novel, but of course, you are emulating the classic Commando style comics of yesteryear..)

Thanks, Gnarly! I think CMFI doesn't get as much attention, judging from post count in the forum compared to others, so hopefully this will not flop from lack of interest. :unsure:

1. This isn't finished, there is at least as much to come. :) I had to pause work on it because the CMFB CAAR was a priority and one comic is all I can handle at a given moment due to the amount of time required. Like my Russian AAR, I will be completing this after Rundstedt is concluded.

2. It actually is three scenarios! Two on the beach, and one getting off the beach. Generally I want to do QBs for these comics, as I do not have much experience with making scenarios, which led to a mid-battle redesign and continuation in this case. @kohlenklau was fantastic in making this work. The last scenario was entirely his creation, as well as the extension of the map from the beach. I'll add that while staged in terms of set up, the battles were real.

3. The reason for making a scenario for the beach landing was that it was hard to simulate in QB due to point limits. QBs are fantastic, in my view, but like any system, have limitations. One was that to simulate the heavy naval bombardment, the allies needed more points than the QB system would allow, so that would still have points left for a suitable assault force. Secondly, it let us not worry about deployment areas, rather set things up based on what made sense for the defence of the beach. Thirdly, it allowed us to put props (burning vehicles, wrecks, etc) in various places to enhance the "look" of a serious battle zone for the screen captures. It's surprising how much work went into the preliminaries. 

4. I am not familiar with Machinamas, so the comparison you make eludes me a little.

5. Comics vs graphic novels: an interesting discussion. I'm not sure the distinction is significant - not to belittle your view, but rather that I am not sure if they are truly different, or if they are simply different names for the same thing. I do get the impression that comics implies less serious effort and story-telling than graphic novel. I personally chose to call these comics because I was initially doing single panel things that were at least in part meant to be humorous anecdotes from battle. Also because graphic novels today are quite different than say, the Donald Duck comics of my childhood, some purely entertainment, others delving into complex themes worthy of literature. The half toning dots are not present in the slick, glossy work of today's publishers, but were omnipresent in the stuff I recall from the 60's or 70's. In fact, Apache was the first of my CAARs to drop that effect. When I started Rundstedt, I did a poll and the opinions were unanimous that I restore that effect. Which to me gives it an old school look and hence the term comic.  

Edited by Bud_B

thanks @Bud_B, makes sense!

Re machinama: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinima

Some ARMA examples (there are better out there):

Deleted

EDIT: Gah I didn't want to embed full size Youtube videos in here, so totally off topic! So add the below code to 'https://youtu.be/'

puWjRow3a9U  &  8c9h6iugBAQ

Edited by gnarly

thanks @Bud_B, makes sense!

Re machinama: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machinima

Some ARMA examples (there are better out there)

Very interesting, gnarly. I looked at a couple and this has possibilities, but would be a crazy amount of work, at least for me. I seem to recall someone made a full movie out of the scenario Barkmann's Corner. Perhaps not quite what we're talking here, but along the same concept. 

In fact I think this is it: 

Barkmann's Corner

Edited by Bud_B

• 3 weeks later...