Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

New user question about map border

rss334

Sorry guys I don't exactly know how to search for this question, but I don't see it answered.   I think I have some interest in combat mission games but watching videos I notice that the edges of the map or when viewing the playing area zoomed out there's a plain grassy green border around all the playing area, frankly it looks like it would kill immersion for me.   Is there a setting or mod that changes the border around the map to make it more immersible?  Thanks  

I'll also ask is Red Thunder the best for WW2 stuff (best game play/graphics) and Black Sea for modern combat?  Or better to start with a different title?

@rss334 Welcome!

As a relative newcomer I can say that it was the first thing that turns me off, but sadly I don’t notice it anymore :)

You have demos for all Combat mission games (with weeks of gameplay btw)

Few latest ones - CM Black Sea:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=340&Itemid=584

CM Red Thunder:

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=332&Itemid=572

And there are tons of mods at http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314 and http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net .They work in demos too, so nothing is stoping You to try it.

The problem with, I guess I'll call them 'distant views' for map edges is that the maps are all custom made in the editor and anyone can make one.  For example, if I'm playing a game like - say Total War or something like that - the maps are all made by the people making the game and the company can create a custom distant view that starts at the map edge for every map because nothing on the maps are going to change.  With the Combat Mission series every map is unique and a creation by some individual somewhere who is using the game editor.  These map makers may be doing stuff for BFC or they could be creating maps for themselves as players.  Because every map is unique and not all maps are made by BFC itself then there is no way to create custom 'distant views' for every map since there is no way to create a 'distant view' for a map that BFC doesn't know will be created.

I hope that makes some sense.  Now the gap between the stock 'distant views' that are present in the game when you view the map from higher up can be pretty disconcerting and if something could be done to improve that I'm sure it would be done, but with the situation as it is I'm not sure anything can be done about it short of eliminating the editor and having all game maps be created by BFC. 

ASL yes that makes sense, I think some procedural trees outside the map border would go a long way but as they say it is what it is.   I just tried the demos for red thunder and black sea, must say I prefer the ww2 stuff more than the modern scene, but I find I'm having performance issues in red thunder, none in black sea.   Tried the few tips I found in the troubleshooting section for red thunders and while turning shadows off helped slightly it's still pretty jerky, I'v got a pretty beefy machine and since black sea runs OK I don't think it's my hardware.    After playing the demo the outside border is not as bad as It looked in the videos, I'm sure like Barbaric mentioned you don't even notice it after a while.   In regards to the custom maps, no don't take that away that looks like one of the huge selling points of the game :)

That said ... I know black sea is a more recent game, did they update the code to make it run better than red thunder?   The demo version of red thunder is 1.0, did they improve performance in the full game/patches possibly?   I see the allure of the game after playing the demo, it looks like there many way to approach the same situation and tactics really do make a difference.   Thanks guys.

Sorry guys I don't exactly know how to search for this question, but I don't see it answered.   I think I have some interest in combat mission games but watching videos I notice that the edges of the map or when viewing the playing area zoomed out there's a plain grassy green border around all the playing area, frankly it looks like it would kill immersion for me.   Is there a setting or mod that changes the border around the map to make it more immersible?  Thanks  

I'll also ask is Red Thunder the best for WW2 stuff (best game play/graphics) and Black Sea for modern combat?  Or better to start with a different title?

Welcome to our bizzare world of grogdom and absurdity. Red Thunder is great for historical correctness.
Download the demo and play for a while, then buy the full game.

Various game tweaks get added as newer ones get released or older ones get upgraded.  However I don't think that the demos are upgraded beyond what the game was like when it was released so if the game is working differently in the Red Thunder demo as compared to Black Sea then it is possible that there was something present in the Red Thunder game when it was released that was subsequently eliminated through a later patch that may have an effect on the way the game plays on your machine.  Ideally all the Combat Mission games are at the same level because BFC releases upgrades to keep the older titles at the same level as the new titles although it is possible that the demos don't necessarily reflect that.

On performance differences: as @ASL Veteran said the demos lag behind in patches. I have all the tittles and I do not notice much difference between them.

On map edges: at the high camera levels they can be noticeable at times. If you want to increase immersion try spending time using camera level 2 or 1. One of my favorite things to do is lock the camera on a key unit and follow it during play back. That is where your immersion will really go up.

^ got it thank you both, enjoying the demos, seems to be a toss up between the Normandy package and Red Thunder to start out with.  On a side note battlefront or whoever decided to put demos out there gets some added bonus points with me as a consumer, demos are slowly becoming a thing of the past especially in these niche strategy games/sims.

Edited by rss334

^ got it thank you both, enjoying the demos, seems to be a toss up between the Normandy package and Red Thunder to start out with.  On a side note battlefront or whoever decided to put demos out there gets some added bonus points with me as a consumer, demos are slowly becoming a thing of the past especially in these niche strategy games/sims.

Whichever you choose I am sure you will enjoy it. Bear in mind that CMBN has a lot more content than CMRT. As always it will come down to your front preference. These games excel in so many ways. Mod support, scenario and map building, not to mention all of the community content that is available.........it is easy to become addicted.