Bootie v Rinaldi DAR (Stay Out Rinaldi!)

Hi Guys

This is the first video in my new DAR versus Rinaldi.  I don't confess to be a tactical genius but I enjoy playing the game... Im not one of those guys who knows the stopping power of a Sherman 75mm at 678 yards.  I play the game by the seat of my pants and see how things pan out.  I hope you enjoy the DAR and please be sure to like and subscribe.  As you can see from my first video Im having some issues with sizing for YT videos.  I have a 21 inch (non-widescreen monitor) and trying to get the image to fill the screen in YT has been a pain... I failed in this vid but will hopefully rectify it in coming turns.  Any advice appreciated both in gaming and hosting on YT.  :) Thanks for reading.

Great stuff, Bootie. Really interesting to see how players going into a scenario for the first time assess and approach it.

I checked on the anomalous instances of Phase Line Raven. They are just the result of some errant last-minute editing, but since those are Touch objectives, it will not have any effect on scoring. Sorry about that.

I noticed that you've got the trees turned off. Hopefully you checked out the map with them on as well, as they may impact your sight lines.

Good luck! Looking forward to the next installment.

Best advice I can give for CM and any other PC/Mac gaming is 1 HDMI 5m cable plus wireless keyboard and mouse. Everything looks so much better on large HDTV. And You will have 16/9 widescreen for YT. You can even tweak (on good TV) antialiasing with War movie ADVANCED mode (thanks for trying it — will try some settings for afternoon scenarios).

Only problem is to find precious hours when TV is free to use :)

CM_on_HDTV

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see the first few turns played out. Too bad about that false gap in the hedge - it's always annoying when that happens. FWIW, I try to mark all the gaps with a different type of ground tile (I think I used a mud tile on this map, or maybe something similar; whatever it is, it's different), so perhaps that will help you pick them out more easily. Also, based on your comments in the video, you may not have noticed that some of your tanks are Rhinos, which are able to breach hedgerows on their own.

Bootie,

That was a tough one about the hedge gap.  I've sat there screaming at my monitor when my pixeltruppen run right into enemy fire like that.

Did you mean to have your engineers run through the hedge gap that they blew?  I generally make them blow gaps and don't have them run through, as they usually die horribly if they charge through after the blast goes off. 

+1 to Bimmer.  If you have Rhinos you should save your demo charges and have the Rhinos rip holes in the hedgerows.  But, make sure you hose the next hedgerow with infantry fire first as I am sure Rinaldi's boys have copious amounts of panzerfausts just warming up for Sherman blood.

Heinrich505 

You know Bootie, I've been watching up to Part five and I thought I would mention that I find with the Engineers if you face them towards the hedge - I use the rotate command - and give a blast order to the side or parallel to the hedge, they will blow the hedge in front of them and then move sideways and not through the hedge in to the open. Sometimes though if there is a house next to them they will blow that instead.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this?

Good one Ted.  It is a known tactic to have the engineers move along the hedge while blowing it to avoid having them charge through.  But, probably not a well known tactic.  I was alluding to it in my post on 24 Oct.  I almost always do this with hedgerows. 

If they are blowing walls or buildings, then I usually have them charge in and wreak havoc on the stunned defenders right after the blast.

Now if Bootie could find a minefield somewhere we could see the flail tank in action...B)

Heinrich505

Well, I'm glad somebody else knows about it and has tried it. 

If Bootie tried it and it didn't work it would have been awfully embarrassing ;) 

Bootie, how do you get that circle around the mouse pointer and have it highlight when you click? Is that a mod or do you set it up with in windows?

Also, would you show the damage on the Shermans, I'm curious to see how the mine field effected the tracks and the panzerfaust hit if that effected the gun/radio/optics.

Thanks!