IEDs and Uncon, and more?

borg

Hi all! Been a while since I tried my hand on the new forum system.

in CMBS vs CMSF - are there IEDs spread out in scenario maps ?

and.. I know there are a couple of scenarios consisting of uncon (modded) pixeltruppen representing 'Rebels/pro-RUS' vs Ukraine.. Is this much different from the CMSF ?

So BFC - there is zilch chances of seeing civilians in game ?

thanks guys. Sorry for bringing CMSF stuff into CMBS, but I think there is so much that can be exploited here. Not to mention, other cars, cabs transporting uncons. to points of interest where action is happening. Am i alone in this ?

Yes this is much different than SF. Modded soldiers are only visually modded, they're still whatever troops they originally were under the visual image.  This is hugely different than actual game modelled uncons. And no as yet, BS does not have IEDs.  However,  BFC has stated they plan to add additional NATO and Russian units, but also UNCON units on both sides.

Ok ! That's encouraging... Thanks Sublime. Can't wait to see such changes...

one other thing - hell, if a chopper can come and kick some grass by blasting its HMG @ the enemy, why can't a chopper act also for transport of airborne troops. This is NOT the same as transport planes in WW2. This is specific point of entry. 

yea. even in Vietnam which can be considered the definitive helicopter war ( I dont think we.ll ever see such massed and common use of helos again, just like I dont think we.ll ever see thousand bomber raids like WW2 again ) hot LZs were avoided at all costs. The only exceptions were emergency medevacs or trying to rescue downed pilots or LRRP teams in serious trouble. And even then often after losses the attempts were called off. Its outside of CMs scope especially  when you can simulate the moments right after the drop when contact is made.

Vietnam made ambushes of LZs possible and even then they werent commonplace when it came to insertion of troops at all.  The terrain in the Ukraine and technology of the current times plus lessons learned from past wars means that hot LZs would be exceedingly rare and mean someone rlly f'd up somewhere.

If memory serves, uncons weren't considered appropriate 'basegame' material. BFC isn't recreating current Ukraine but a fictional future Ukraine conflict (thought up before the current Ukraine conflict). Lets recall, they've got 1-2-3(?) additional modules left to fill. Which means all sorts of stuff is likely to show up someday. Marines (both sides), NATO, reserve units, fighters and mercenaries. This title still has a lot of growing left to do.

About helicopters. Watch an on-map SAM missile streak faaaaar off-map to knock down an approaching aircraft and you will understand why nobody in their right mid would fly troop transport helicopters over the front line. The closest (and most appropriate) you could get is reinforcements appearing on the map edge with the type-written orders explaining that they had humped in across country after being offloaded a safe distance away.

Im pretty sure BFC stated before that the militias on both sides were slated to appear at some point which would be more or less uncons. Im sure VDV and Marines and other NATO/Russian formations will appear first and honestly im more excited about those anyways. I really want the devil dogs in, and some new Russian units. Along with traditional NATO units I think some of the newer NATO units like Poland would be awesome...

• 2 years later...

Yes I'm practicing necromancy with this thread but today that's okay because it's Halloween. Steve said the USMC will be in the first module (not counting the Battlepack). Is there still interest out there to include Uncons  and their favorite tool the IED in a future module? Or do other force possibilities interest you more?

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 1:18 PM, MikeyD said:

About helicopters. Watch an on-map SAM missile streak faaaaar off-map to knock down an approaching aircraft and you will understand why nobody in their right mid would fly troop transport helicopters over the front line. The closest (and most appropriate) you could get is reinforcements appearing on the map edge with the type-written orders explaining that they had humped in across country after being offloaded a safe distance away.

Chris's campaign TF Panther starts out that way with LBOP of paratroopers coming in all willy nilly as you try to organize them into a coherent force while the enemy is starting to show up,  It worked really well.  JonS had a similar effect in an early version of the Sheriff of Oosterbeek that I really loved.  It can be done and no it doesn't need the actual choppers, but I'd love to be able to do an Operation Anaconda or Black Hawk Down someday and see actual choppers.  Probably never will, but it will always be something cool to see.

Though I've appreciated BF's approach/policy on aircraft in game, over time there's a number of issues that have cropped up. But for the modern era namely:

a ) their policy of not including aircraft on map assumes battles are fought in ideal circumstances for both sides. ie Just because a troop transport helicopter shouldn't be anywhere near the front front lines doesn't mean it can't be 'caught out' in the wrong place/wrong time. Or in another case maybe the defenders are caught out without any AA capability in a sector allowing the attacker to capitalise? This can limit scenario design opportunities.

b ) the CM map sizes have grown considerably which would allow some level of helicopter manouver. Not just for helicopters potentially appearing on map to offload troops, it would be good to be able to tell a pilot in game to 'approach from the west' if you think they will get a better chance of spotting the target from that direction/receive less incoming ground fire.

c ) having at least maybe landed/crashed helicopter/aircraft available in the editor for designers to program scenarios around would be a nice in between approach.

Giving the player freedom to experiment (and make horrendous mistakes) shouldn't be discounted as a big draw for these games. Once the modules for CMFB are released you can bet many of us will line a battalion of Pershings and Tigers, grab some popcorn and hit the red button. :D For the modern era titles, if a player really wants to have a 'Ride of the Valkyries' moment and send a platoon of troops mounted in Blackhawks into the Russian lines, let them do it... and let them get a whole lot of corpses and scrap metal back in return. But I'm guessing the programming and artwork effort would be huge.

My two cents including sales tax.

Edited by Ithikial_AU

"c ) having at least maybe landed/crashed helicopter/aircraft available in the editor for designers to program scenarios around would be a nice in between approach."

+1   Would be lovely eye candy. 

But as others have said, having actual aircraft actually seen to be flying around or landing is just not what CM is about.   The current abstraction works well.

"...many of us will line a battalion of Pershings and Tigers, grab some popcorn and hit the red button."

Err...  Maybe a few...   Again seems like you want a different sort of game.  Have you tried FPS's?

Edited by Erwin