[Released] Zielgerät 1229 NIGHT HUNTER mode

BarbaricCo

CMRT Night vision mode for night scenarios

- This is modified Battlefront CM “War Movie” shader.

- It will replace the Alt-M (Opt-M) mode.

- Does not work with Alt-B (Opt-B) mode.

- Works with CMRT, CMBN, CMFI and CMBS (engine v3.0).

- Little or no performance hit.

- OS X and Windows.

- Experimental stuff.

Credits to @SLIM for night vision ideas and @Rambler for first making it for CMBS!

downloadZielgerat 1229 NIGHT HUNTER mode.zip

This time no screenshoots please! We need to know more about "Zielgerät 1229". Units that used it, combats, range, did panthers have it, american and british version, did soviets have something similiar... Expert must be here?

CombatMission_Zielgerat_1229_NIGHT_HUNTER_mode1

CombatMission_Zielgerat_1229_NIGHT_HUNTER_mode4

CombatMission_Zielgerat_1229_NIGHT_HUNTER_mode2

CombatMission_Zielgerat_1229_NIGHT_HUNTER_mode3

For more shader modes visit: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/120795-fxshine-shader/

Zielgerat 1229 NIGHT HUNTER mode.zip

Edited by BarbaricCo
link added

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
1 hour ago, Bubba883XL said:

can this be made to work with cold war???

Did you try it? Most of these shaders will have some effect across all the games. If it doesn't do what it says on the tin, then it probably needs an update but ultimately it could work or at least a newer version would work.

If you are PC based have you tried ReShade. It excels at this type of effect.

1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Did you try it? Most of these shaders will have some effect across all the games. If it doesn't do what it says on the tin, then it probably needs an update but ultimately it could work or at least a newer version would work.

If you are PC based have you tried ReShade. It excels at this type of effect.

i did play with reshade but thoought a mod for this exact thing, changing the movie mod would be simpler and better , well maybe not better, but alot simpler

3 hours ago, Bubba883XL said:

i did play with reshade but thoought a mod for this exact thing, changing the movie mod would be simpler and better , well maybe not better, but alot simpler

Yes movie mode is definitely easier. So the night vision shader doesn't work in current game engine?

Edited by Lucky_Strike

On 11/23/2022 at 6:47 PM, Bubba883XL said:

can this be made to work with cold war???

Okay, it works still in CMRT so it should work in Cold War unless there's something drastically different about the engine used in CW ... downloaded the zip, unpacked, dropped in mod folder, nothing else done - works ...

PvUXJl1.jpg

Regular Nightvision Movie Mode - Berlin street scene about midnight IR Panther view 😉

8c4E9cc.jpg

Same scene with movie mode and enhanced artificially bright moonlight toggled on as well.

16 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Okay, it works still in CMRT so it should work in Cold War unless there's something drastically different about the engine used in CW ... downloaded the zip, unpacked, dropped in mod folder, nothing else done - works ...

PvUXJl1.jpg

Regular Nightvision Movie Mode - Berlin street scene about midnight IR Panther view 😉

8c4E9cc.jpg

Same scene with movie mode and enhanced artificially bright moonlight toggled on as well.

Work also on CW.

I dont install the update for the time on CMRT because I have some mods that I have to save first.

Lucky just a few questions

>For the game do we need this night view...in the real life, the 80 do we have already this kind of material ? I dont remember...

>When we are recieving an update or a patch, in our case with the folders brz installation, are you pick up all the news folders to place it in the respective place or are you replace it with a full installation ?

Thanks in advance 

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

7 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

Work also on CW.

I dont install the update for the time on CMRT because I have some mods that I have to save first.

Lucky just a few questions

>For the game do we need this night view...in the real life, the 80 do we have already this kind of material ? I dont remember...

>When we are recieving an update or a patch, in our case with the folders brz installation, are you pick up all the news folders to place it in the respective place or are you replace it with a full installation ?

Thanks in advance 

You can use the night view if you want, it's just a mod, nothing to do with me, I was just trying it to see if it still works. Not historically appropriate to RT except for maybe the IR Panthers though I don't believe their view was green.

Re upgrade to RT I will install it tonight and see what happens with the folders, should just install as normal without issue but we shall see. I will let you know if you need to do anything special. As always make sure you have an up to date backup before installing the update.

18 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

You can use the night view if you want, it's just a mod, nothing to do with me, I was just trying it to see if it still works. Not historically appropriate to RT except for maybe the IR Panthers though I don't believe their view was green.

Re upgrade to RT I will install it tonight and see what happens with the folders, should just install as normal without issue but we shall see. I will let you know if you need to do anything special. As always make sure you have an up to date backup before installing the update.

I guess when we are working with "only folders", we dont have to apply another activation, and this is a good point, and this will make automatically, the battle pack updated !!

JM

Edited by JM Stuff

On 9/26/2015 at 1:39 AM, BarbaricCo said:

This time no screenshoots please! We need to know more about "Zielgerät 1229". Units that used it, combats, range, did panthers have it, american and british version, did soviets have something similiar... Expert must be here?

I am not an expert on this, but I researched it for a different topic a few years back.

First of all: There is a lot of bs on the internet about it. For some reason Wehraboos flock to this technology like flies to ****. You will find all kinds of stories, like it being used to destroy whole units of Comets in 1945 and that kind of thing. This is all nonsense, just like talk of a second variant (often called "solution B") that is said to have been installed on Jagdpanthers. So beware what you believe.

With that out of the way, here is (to the best of my recollection) what I could ascertain back then:

This system consisted of two parts: one big IR searchlight, installed on a SdKfz251 Halftrack, called "Uhu" (German for a kind of big owl). This was used to illuminate enemy positions at night. The Zielgerät, also called "Sperber" (after a kind of raptor bird) was installed on the turret of Panther tanks. Inside these tanks was a "Bildwandler", basically a screen that showed IR light in apparently very low resolution green. Note that this was installed on top of the turret, NOT hooked up to the gun sight, making its use extremely limited.

The allies had the capability to detect and show IR light at this point. If the Germans had fielded these in any number, it would have been made obsolete almost immediately on account of the units using it being lit up like an IR christmas tree and easily detectable by anyone with an appropriate system. From the top of my head, the British had one called "Tabby" that was not used, but worked well enough for the designers to use it to drive their car without headlights in blackout conditions back in Britain.

As for use, the system was tested by various units, but as far as I could tell they almost all returned it before actually going into combat. The one exception was the Müncheberg Division, which famously fought in the Oderbruch, the Seelow Heights and Berlin. I don't recall exact numbers, but they received a Panther unit outfitted with these and used them in combat as well. Again there is a lot of bs about this out there: I have an otherwise good German book about the Seelow Heights battle where they describe an engagement in detail in which this unit inflicted heavy casualties on Russian forces. According to Russian documents, these losses were all imaginary.

Model companies sell kits called "Nachtjäger". This is a cool sounding marketing term, but not real. What seems to be the case is that these Panthers were supported by Begleitgrenadiers, which were equipped with the "Vampir" IR scope on their MP44s. This was basically a big searchlight on top of the rifle and a scope to pick up these rays. It was powered by a big battery pack. This was a very unwieldy system, but the idea was that these guys would ride on top of the Panthers and provide close support against infantry in the dark. There are sources out there claiming that the Panthers were modified by wielding extra armor plates above the engine deck to create a kind of "fox hole" for these Begleitgrenadiers. The sources claiming this were otherwise good, but I have never seen pictures of this modification and can't imagine how it would work without affecting turret traverse, so no idea.

Generally speaking, this system was only used in the east and only around Berlin. Any other use is probably made up until I see actual evidence. The effect of it seems to have been marginal at best.

2 hours ago, JM Stuff said:

I guess when we are working with "only folders", we dont have to apply another activation, and this is a good point, and this will make automatically, the battle pack updated !!

JM

Okay so I installed this on my Mac - suspect it's pretty similar on the PC. The patch contains ALL the brz files from red thunder v201.brz through to red thunder v212.brz as well as new .exe/.app, the new battles, scenarios, campaigns, master maps and a few other bits - this explains why it's so big. The ONLY new brz is red thunder v212.brz which contains just the following:

red thunder v213 <<< expanded .brz root folder (notice they have named the folder incorrectly

module icon battle pack 1.bmp

text <<< folder

strings.txt

That's it!

So what I suggest is that you proceed as follows:

1. Remove and back up all your mods and any other stuff like saved games etc, anything custom you want to keep
  2. Back up your existing dummy .brz files and Data folder - this will keep all your nicely sorted files safe. Important after you back up you MUST leave these in the game folder so that the updater installs everything correctly
  3. Install the update patch - this will install the new .exe/.app package as well as the new scenarios, campaigns, mastermaps and other files as well as install/overwrite ALL the brzs from red thunder v201.brz through to red thunder v211.brz and install the new brz red thunder v212.brz
  4. Launch the game and activate the patch, verify that everything is working, create a backup of the newly updated game folder somewhere safe, just in case.
  5. Rez explode the new red thunder v212.brz
  6. Copy the contents from the exploded 212 folder (note it's wrongly named red thunder v213) to the back up of your sorted data folder as follows:
    module icon battle pack 1.bmp >>> red thunder data > user interface > splash screen
    strings.txt >>> red thunder data > text (note that it will ask you if you want to replace the existing file - yes)
  7. With the new files installed you just need to create a dummy brz to replace the new one - in your backup of your original set duplicate one of the existing dummy brz files and rename it to red thunder v212.brz
  8. You can now copy the updated backup of your tidy Data and dummy brzs into your game folder to replace the newly installed set. Say yes when asked if you want to overwrite the installed files.
  9. Launch the game and check all is patched and working as expected
  10. You can then copy back your mod folder, and custom games and saved games.

Takes a lot longer to write that to do; just be careful, don't rush and make sure you have good backups of everything before you start.

And yes, once you've done this you can back it all up so that in future you will have the sorted data folders and dummy brzs if you need to redo it for any reason.

Interesting topic, even if likely just a few were employed ever. So not really of concern for our WW2 CM game plays. Here´s some interesting article on Panther night vision stuff. No idea if the screen looks (low res B/W) is authentic though. Hard to find any data on this in the net. Maybe I find something in my Panther books. https://weaponsandwarfare.com/author/critcalmass/page/282/