Do I have to get in a vehicle to get the ammo? + sharing rules

Im pretty sure I read that instead of getting into a vehicle and equipping more ammo, I can be near a vehicle and it ammo shares with me like other troops would. Am I remembering that right?

Also with sharing , do units have to be doing nothing to share , so sharing in spare time . Or can they share while both  firing?

Many thanks.

Edited by silent one

I am not sure about all situations, But I do recall my mortar teams accessing the ammo in trucks and using it without having to load any one and unloading the ammo. But that was a long time ago and I do recall the truck being part of the same command link structure.

Keep in mind ,units only share with other units in their fighting group

You are correct Silent One that you do not need to be in a vehicle to share ammo, but need to be within one action square. For this reason i like to put a vehicle with ammo behind a building occupied with your troops. They will share with abstraction from the vehicle when out of their own ammo.

You can Acquire ammo, share ammo and buddy aid ammo.  To acquire the ammo you need to get in the vehicle.  You can also acquire from an ammo dump.  To share ammo the units must be in the same formation.  If both their icons highlight when one of them is clicked on they are eligible to share ammo.

Below is sharing ammo which is two action spots. 

Ammo%20Sharing_zps12thbjfy.jpg

Ammo%20Sharing%202_zpsblpilrv8.jpg

Below is acquiring ammo and then distributing it to the rest of the squad which is my preferred method.  If the vehicle is destroyed so is the ammo.  If a troop becomes a casualty you can attempt to buddy aid the ammo from him.   The example shows an ammo dump which cannot be destroyed but can be overrun.

CMBNAmmoRe-Supply_zpsf9ea3152.jpg

CMBNAmmoRe-Supply2_zps9bd9c2d4.jpg

A vehicle will only share with elements in the same "organisational unit" (which you can define as "the ones that highlight when I click a unit I want to share ammo to or from"), unless the vehicle is from a Supply Platoon. Supply Platoon vehicles share promiscuously.

Sharing ammo takes no attention, but it is done one "clip" (magazine, bomb) at a time. I've never checked to see what if any delay there is between the low-ammo element running dry and receiving their next "parcel" of bullets from their orgunit buddy element. If it matters, and you can't get someone into the vehicle to actually Acquire some ammo, you're probably boned anyway.

<Snip> Supply Platoon vehicles share promiscuously.  <Snip> 

Ah, yes..... this is a very good point!  I just wish they had hand grenades...........  

Also the ammo acquiring can be taken care of in the set up phase.  The possible downside, especially for an attacker, is the more ammo troops have to carry the quicker the fatigue level will go up.   

Also the ammo acquiring can be taken care of in the set up phase.  The possible downside, especially for an attacker, is the more ammo troops have to carry the quicker the fatigue level will go up.   

I find that I quickly reduce the ammo load of my troops. In effect, the trucks and jeeps I loot in Setup phase provide the ammo to suppress every bush, building, metre of hedgerow and woodland margin while I skulk forward, groping for the enemy, leaving approximately the original loadout for actual fighting... Apart from SMG ammo; that's too precious to let Assault teams do much in the way of speculative suppression.