FXShine shader

BarbaricCo

I think this is the best discovery since CM exists and enhances the graphics more than all engine updates and mods combined. I cannot thank you enough, BarbaricCo! I just played "Kampfgruppe Saucken" and the graphics is just stunning with my shader: the sun rises and the quite red early morning light changes to daylight. :o Incredible. Switching ML off is just shocking. Like looking through a green veil. CM now looks like I always wished it would look like.

Edited by CarlWAW
spelling

I tried both BarbaricCo's and CarlWAW's shaders, and Carl, I love yours and will be playing with it for a while.  BarbaricCo, for some reason your latest shader showed no lighting on vehicles in CMBN.

These images are all from CalWAW's posted shader and all in CMBN:  Good job Carl!

I also tried those new bump mapped shaders in CMFI demo and they have no effects? What they do is bringing down burned lights and too dark shadows on vehicles and units. More comparision on:

http://www.barbaricco.com/upload/CMRTAnalysis/

Few more screenshoots:

1CombatMission_RedThunder_Default.jpg

CMRT Default

2CombatMission_RedThunder_Blur_Plus_Bump

FXShine 02 (edited blur + bump mapped shaders + some Aris mods)

more...

3aCombatMission_RedThunder_Blur_Plus_Bum

3bCombatMission_RedThunder_Blur_Plus_Bum

5CombatMission_RedThunder_Blur_Plus_Bump

6CombatMission_RedThunder_Blur_Plus_Bump

8CombatMission_RedThunder_Blur_Plus_Bump

I think this is the best discovery since CM exists and enhances the graphics more than all engine updates and mods combined. I cannot thank you enough, BarbaricCo! I just played "Kampfgruppe Saucken" and the graphics is just stunning with my shader: the sun rises and the quite red early morning light changes to daylight. :o Incredible. Switching ML off is just shocking. Like looking through a green veil. CM now looks like I always wished it would look like.

@CarlWAW Thank You for involvement. If FXShine settings are "commercial ones" Your settings is definitely what "War Movie" mode supposed to be.

These pics look terrific.  But, am confused - does accomplishing these effects require altering a file and typing in a lot of code?

It works like any other mod. Just place the shader (or the folder which contains it), in your mod folder.

Edited by CarlWAW
a quote without a text is not optimal...

Supplementing some the knowledge with reference to my PC, OS, NVidia GFX and its particular settings in control panel (desktop gamma, brightness, saturation, contrast), as well as more specific stuff related to antialiasing, multisampling and such.

Changed above settings, so that the game is back to control anything related to AA and made sure I only had parameters in effect that actually deal with OpenGL (there´s a whole lot of stuff that works with DirectX only). Makes bit of a difference, when testing any of the tweaked shader files, just to go sure and minimize effects, not directly related to shader file parameter changes. Also of concern is game screen resolution (for me it´s 1024 x 768).

From my own testing I figured that deviating from certain standard paramters would rather have a negative effect for ML, but also shadowing of game objects.

bumpmapping.frag

#if SHADOW_QUALITY == 2
shadowValue0 /= 43.0;
#elif SHADOW_QUALITY > 0
shadowValue0 /= 27.0;

"Standard" (or default) of shadowValue0, was 33.0. Changing the figures for me either makes object shadowing too dark (soldiers, objects look almost black, from all viewing angles), or too bright. So I left that at 33.0

blur_shader.frag

gl_FragColor *= 1.45;

That last line destined to correct some the overall lighting is far too high for me, resulting in almost white skies and other parts of the game world looking to bright. I think if really a high value like this is needed, then maybe the brightness (or gamma) seetting is set too low elsewhere on your computer/monitor maybe?

@ BarbaricCo: So unfortunately I can´t get your very nice example screenies look the same in CMBN, with both your changed bumpmapping and blur files.

However, I get almost the same looks by leaving bumpmapping alone at default and just made the changes as posted earlier in blur_shader, which are:

/*const*/ float AvgLumR = 0.5; //avg_luma_vec.r;
/*const*/ float AvgLumG = 0.5; //avg_luma_vec.g;
/*const*/ float AvgLumB = 0.5; //avg_luma_vec.b;

fxaa_color = overlay(fxaa_color, vec3(0.33));

fxaa_color = BrightnessSaturationContrast(fxaa_color, 1.0, 1.0, 1.1)

gl_FragColor *= 0.95; (upto 1.05 for bright sunny days)

Basically this works for me as sort of contrast correction shader at daylight. Yet I figured an alternative setting, that makes dark nights looking more convincing in ML, which is:

fxaa_color = overlay(fxaa_color, vec3(0.8));
fxaa_color = BrightnessSaturationContrast(fxaa_color, 0.7, 0.7, 1.0);

Beside that, I´m at the end of the rope with regard to improving anything further on my machine. What can´t be changed (hard coded) is the way terrain tiles are illuminated and certain light sources. So far, there appear to be at least 3 main light sources to be used in the game. The sun, the moon and a secondary light source used for diffuse lighting and/or "articficially bright night".

I have a particular problem, that terrain tiles (or their meshes) are illuminated on front and back (under) side. The sun (and other light sources) illuminate the terrain tile back sides unrealistically strong in dusk and dawn day times, which gives the impression that terrain parts, which should be unlit and in the shadows, appear to be lit from an invisible light source opposite the sun. Try making a map which has a number of ditches (or a steeply sloped hill) and set TOD to early morning, where the sun is near touching the horizon. You´ll see that the reverse slopes are unusually strongly illuminated (instead of shadowed). If that´s not the sun (light source) and terrain tiles causing that disturbing effect, then maybe it´s one the other mentioned light sources, which actually should be deactivated at this TOD, but aren´t. I also guess it might have something to do with terrain tiles maybe not having something like a "normal map" and thus can be illuminated from front and reverse side alike.

So far....

Last but not least, some pics to compare from a CMBN mission with shady urban environment and overcast skies. First is standard CMBN shader settings (unchanged bumpmap.frag) and my edited ML shader (blur_shader.frag)

RockinHarry_zps5lcx6zfk.jpg

Second is BarbaricCo´s full shader package, showing some the problem areas on my particular machine. Edit: First pic is normal mode (no ML), affected by bumpmapping.frag. Pic below is former plus ML active.

Barbaricco_zps3oxwt2uv.jpg

Edited by RockinHarry
Additional Note

@RockinHarry yes terrain doesn't have  normal maps so don't affected by bump map shaders. Do you have enabled options shaders on?

Also shadows seems like off. 

Yup. ALT-W, ALT-R and ALT-M is all on. Viewpoint is exactly from sunlight source direction (South-East), so shadows aren´t that noticeable, also considering that sky is overcast and terrain tiles are dark and partly high detail. As said, shadowValue0 other than 33 makes direct light on soldiers and objects either considerably darker or brighter. In my case direct light is way darker than normal with your file. The almost white overcast sky comes from gl_FragColor *= 1.45. What about SHADOW_QUALITY? The original CMBN bumpmapping file has it set at 2 with no options. :huh:

B)

I haven't tried it with CMBN yet. Are the CMBN textures more saturated in CMBN than in CMRT?

Terrain is definitely more saturated in Normandy than in any subsequent games, although I don't think the same is true for unit textures. The lighting in general looks brighter to me as well.

I found my settings :)

I took RockinHarry's file as a base and then modified the following:

/*const*/ float AvgLumR = 0.7
 /*const*/ float AvgLumG = 0.7
 /*const*/ float AvgLumB = 0.7

(was .5 .5 .5, although changing these didn't make much noticeable difference.

fxaa_color = overlay(fxaa_color, vec3(0.0)

(was .33)

fxaa_color = BrightnessSaturationContrast(fxaa_color, 1.0, 1.2, 1.1)

(was 1.0, .1.0, 1.1)

Movie mode OFF:

N6czZK.jpg

ON:

OmkoGe.jpg

OFF:

OJ3dRW.jpg

ON:

51SMdX.jpg

Edited by Vanir Ausf B

As much as I love the look I'm having a hard time sticking with the Movie Mode. The lack of AA is killing me. It's the tracers. Tracers without AA look horrible at a distance.

Considering that it´s only an FX shader put on top of everything else, then there´s just limited usage of all that actually, particularly with regard to damaging anti aliasing. Disabling the "overlay" function thus gives only the opportunity to tweak brightness, saturation and contrast in 3D view, something which I´d actually prefer tweaking without the FX shader file, to preserve AA. Yet beside some the special FX movie modes, we now also have FX shaders for special cases, like Rambler´s night vision mode, or shader tweaks for real dark nights, where AA is far less of concern actually. Beside that now everybody can tweak the looks to his particular taste, or in dependance to overall computer GFX and monitor settings, which could be largely different.

I´d be interested to know what particular OpenGL version CMX2 V3.11 is currently based on? I noticed, me having an older GFX card and driver, I only have support for OGL V3.3, but I suspect version now in use is rather V4.x! :huh:

This was supposed to bring You glorios FSAA MSAA AAAA with WM mode...

...but insted

BarbaricCo presents:

CoMiCraft mode:

CoMiCraft Mode Shader.zip

CoMiCraft%20Mode1.jpg

Hobbit village

CoMiCraft%20Mode2.jpg

Combat Mission Wolfenstein

CoMiCraft%20Mode3.jpg

@Vanir Ausf B tracers have never been better!

Even serious wargamer need a rest and kids will love it, so don't be too upset!

point of interest is line: vec2 Tile = vec2(0.0020,0.0045); 

Edited by BarbaricCo
duplicate attachment

This was supposed to bring You glorios FSAA MSAA AAAA with WM mode...

...but insted

BarbaricCo presents:

CoMiCraft mode:

CoMiCraft Mode Shader.zip

CoMiCraft%20Mode1.jpg

Hobbit village

CoMiCraft%20Mode2.jpg

Combat Mission Wolfenstein

CoMiCraft%20Mode3.jpg

@Vanir Ausf B tracers have never been better!

Even serious wargamer need a rest and kids will love it, so don't be too upset!

point of interest is line: vec2 Tile = vec2(0.0020,0.0045); 

LOL! Brilliant. :D

@BarbaricCo

If you are in contact with GLSL people, maybe you should ask them, what functions/procedures in the BlurShader.frag could be ported over to BumpMapping.frag?

I see that bumpmapping.frag also has the gl_FragColor variable. This seems not to be a local variable. At the end of the procedures in bumpmapping.frag gl_FragColor is assigned the final color.

So it should be possible to inject some color manipulation code.

gl_FragColor seems to be of type vec4. I tried to change gl_FragColor values by adding a vec4-type with certain constant values, but saw no effect.