Kursk anyone?

jtsjc1

I just finished re-reading this book: http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Steel-Myth-II-SS-Panzer-Korps-Prochorowka/dp/0974838942/

A somewhat smaller (but not too much) and a bit less pricey book, but still awesome. An extremely detailed account of the southern front of Kursk, busting a lot of the myths about this battle.

Oh, and has anyone read this?: http://www.amazon.com/Demolishing-Myth-Prokhorovka-Operational-Narrative/dp/1906033897/

I've heard a lot of good things about it, and I am thinking of getting it too.

Edited by JSj

So what does it actually say?

What is the extent of its focus, in time, space, and forces?  How many days, miles of the front, which units?  What do the tables tell us?  Is there more there than in e.g. Ketterling's book which gave us the AM German tank strength returns and daily dividional personnel casualty figures, or Glanz who gave us the before and after tank strengths of the various Russian formations engaged?

You have twenty minutes to read it and tell us... (grin).

So what does it actually say?

What is the extent of its focus, in time, space, and forces?  How many days, miles of the front, which units?  What do the tables tell us?  Is there more there than in e.g. Ketterling's book which gave us the AM German tank strength returns and daily dividional personnel casualty figures, or Glanz who gave us the before and after tank strengths of the various Russian formations engaged?

You have twenty minutes to read it and tell us... (grin).

Yeah, right :huh:

I'm about 100 pages in, I'll try to give some idea of your points next week when I've gone a bit further, but initial impression appears to be that it covers all the units involved in the southern sector by day, but can't be 100% sure since I haven't reached the meat of it yet. There are also a couple of chapters covering the air aspect - am particularly interested to see what those chapters hold, since there's usually a fair chunk of mythbusting whenever WWII air-to-ground is examined closely ;) ( as many of us know ).

Hasn't the claim that  Prokhorovka was the largest tank battle in history been documented as false by various modern studies?

How does Kursk as a whole stack up as the largest tank battle if you include German 9th Army, 4th Pz Army, AD Kempf and the three Soviet fronts?

Edited by HARI SELDON
spelling

Hasn't the claim that  Prokhorovka was the largest tank battle in history been documented as false by various modern studies?

How does Kursk as a whole stack up as the largest tank battle if you include German 9th Army, 4th Pz Army, AD Kempf and the three Soviet fronts?

I think Niklas Zetterling and a few others killed off Prochorovka ten years ago. There's probably still some work to be done on the Soviet side, but there was enough in the German archives to bury it.

I don't know where Kursk and Prochorovka currently sit in the pantheon of Great Tank Battles, but the leader is likely still Chinese Farm . Depending on how you count I imagine Desert Storm could perhaps stake a claim, but for sheer constriction it's hard to beat the Arab-Israeli wars. Goodwood may actually have been the biggest tank battle of WWII if you limit it to a reasonable definition of "single engagement", i.e. "battle" in a more old-fashioned and commonsensical way.

Well put together film about Kursk involving German propaganda news reel plus additional footage. Worth watching certainly for the opening five minutes for the footage of German infantry, armour and SPW in combat supported by nebelwerfers.

Edited by George MC
spelling

Sure you can play Kursk on CMRT - the maps are all summer and you can build your own scenarios too, or just pick one of the more open, steppe like maps in quick battle. There are plenty of fortifications to choose from too. The only real absentees are KV's and Elefants. The infantry both sides are covered, if you want to replicate the SS instead of heer, then there are mods to change them to look like SS over at greenasjade. 

• 2 weeks later...

Probably another play on assembly area. If you read the text below the pic it states assembly area. The inset might be showing the positions of the Ferds within the unit assembly area. Could be for resupply, or prior to moving into attack position and so forth. 

I seriously doubt they just came off the train that close to the front line...lol. Not on 7 July least wise not in the area of the photo.

Edited by aspen77rt

• 7 years later...