Grid Terrain Mods

Vinnart

A long while back I uploaded a low resolution grid version of Birdstryke's 'Syrope" terrain from CMSF to the CMBN repository back when I had a slower machine. I was asked if I had any higher res grid tiles to share so i will put them here.

First, all credit and thanks to the original artist/modders whom I have cherry picked from through the years to make custom sets from. Since getting a better machine I have not made a full grid set yet of higher resolution grid terrain, but will put what i have and add should i make more. These days I am using mostly Kieme's for CMBN and CMRT, but do have some others mixed in that I like for one reason or another. If anyone else has grid tiles they want to share please feel free to add them here. If it is a full set it might be too big for the thread so the repository may be better place to put it. I will be putting mine up piece meal to cherry pick from easier. For others that upload, and do the same I suggest using this format:

Put both the big tile and its mini counterpart in a folder. If it is "ground grass" include the distant ground tile in the "grass" folder. This will ensure the best color matches between large and small tile. Name the folder such as "Aris ground grass", or whomever the mod is from. Labeling in this way makes it easy to swap out tiles with out overwriting accidentally, and makes it easy to create your own custom set.

All the tiles from any mod, or stock game work in any cmx2 game. Here is a grid version of Aris's grass I use in all my games. He included a grid version in his mod, but I found it a bit too fine and hard to see so I made this one. It easy to see, not as fine, and has a dirt color earth tone and quality to the lines.

Grid Aris Ground Grass:

Grid Aris ground grass.zip

This is Grid Aris grass + Grid Kieme yellow grass

Grid.jpg

Edited by Vinnart

Thank you for the update! As usual quality stuff! I will always be a fan of your mods, Your efforts are much appreciated. 

I too have dabbled in mods for this game and a lot more for a train simulator I enjoy, And I will always support the idea that if it brings someone else happiness then that is reward enough for me.

Thanks Kieme. Actually that is your yellow grass tile. For my part I am just adding the grid. At least I know I am not the only one who couldn't upload it direct to the thread. The zip was under 10mb so I do not think size the issue although your yellow grass tile is twice the size of the Aris grass above. I hope I can put the rest I have with no problems.

Edited by Vinnart

"Grid Bil dense forest" + "Kieme forest"  is the best combo I have found for being able to clearly see the difference of "dense forest", from "forest".  Bil's tile is his grid version from one of the previous games, but can't recall which one. The tile has a fine transparent black color he did, but I tweaked the color of the art in de-saturating the color a bit. For Kieme's forest I added my grid which has a light dirt color/quality. I am having a problem loading Kieme's tile so i will send to him to load. Even if you do not want the grid version of his try it with Bil's tile if you want a combo that is easy to tell the difference. Even the small tiles are easy to tell apart. The dense forest is a more "camouflage" color  as seen in the background, while the lighter forest is more sold brown.  Keep in mind that seeing some different size grids in the game is normal. This may depend on the fineness of the grid such as Bil's, or the resolution of the tile. For clarity I have trees turned off in this shot showing the combo.

Grid Bil dense forest + Kieme forest. You can see Bil's grid a little bit next to the road, but it shows more when camera is close.

Forest.jpg

Grid Bil ground dense forest floor:

Grid Bil ground dense forest floor.zip

Edited by Vinnart

Yes Badger, just put the unzipped folder into the "z" folder to use. If you are already using a terrain mod, but want to override any tiles just  put a few "z"s to the folder title like "zzBil ground dense forest floor".

Edited by Vinnart

Is it intentional that these grids not be visible at distant LODs or do I have a conflict with another mod?

Vanir, when I created the first grid mod it was indeed my intention that they only be visible from closer in, that's where you need them after all... I think everyone else who has done them after also does the same. One guy in the early days did one that was only visible at the distant LODs, but there is not a lot of use for that type of grid IMO.

Edited by Bil Hardenberger

Vanir, when I created the first grid mod it was indeed my intention that they only be visible from closer in, that's where you need them after all... I think everyone else who has done them after also does the same. One guy in the early days did one that was only visible at the distant LODs, but there is not a lot of use for that type of grid IMO.

Apparently I use grids in a much different way than most. When the camera is close to the ground I don't have much trouble seeing the lay of the land. Grids do help a bit but where I find them most useful is zoomed way out where everything looks flat. I like being able to turn trees off and see the topography of the whole map at a glance, which is impossible at that elevation without a grid, IMO.

The early grid mod you are remembering is Niessuh's Outer Grid, one of my all-time favs that I still use in CMBN. What I love about it is that when you are watching the replay at ground level locked onto a unit the grid is invisible for maximum immersion. The problem is that it was made for the Normandy game and since BFC switched to a very desaturated color palette for all subsequent games it creates a jarring effect in those games since the distant grass LODs with the grid are a much more vibrant shade than the near LODs without.

Rocket Man also did a grid that I still use that is the most purely functional grid I have ever seen. It's not only visible at all LODs but the larger grid squares contain smaller squares at close LODs. It is also a CMBN grid with bright grass and the grid is something of an immersion killer with all those sub-grids so I drop it into my mods folder only when doing the setup turn for a game where I will be spending a lot of time on terrain analysis and planning.

Edited by Vanir Ausf B