Roofs, Textures and the Editor

Rambler

Unfortunately no. Roofs share a single piece of art among several building types. I think there are seven types of modular roof art, each type goes with two or three buildings and no others. No mixing & matching.

In CMRT you can click switch normal building roof or 'commercial types. And you switch change region, see if the roof art changes. But no click-cycling in CMBN.

You can of course rework any roof as a mod then drop it in the game as a replacement.

Edited by MikeyD

Thanks Mikey. That's really silly if you ask me. We can cycle different textures for the facades but not the roofs? That makes no sense whatsoever, and it makes it impossible to do unique buildings like aircraft hangars without it messing up other buildings, like below. :(

OPG9R8k.jpg

Thanks Mikey. That's really silly if you ask me. We can cycle different textures for the facades but not the roofs? That makes no sense whatsoever, and it makes it impossible to do unique buildings like aircraft hangars without it messing up other buildings, like below. :(

OPG9R8k.jpg

War is hell, and the Combat Mission editor is no exception. I just finished my first scenario, and while it has been fun in some ways, I'm not exactly itching to make another one, due to the editor being cumbersome to use and having so many odd restrictions like that.

A better editor is on my personal top three wishlist for CM Santa.

Yup, need better and more varied roofs for the modular buildings. Hard to find a roof that fits well with the facades, particularly the walled part of the roof. The MG module yet gives the best options overall and I now use it exclusively for map building.

Roof%20Mismatch_zpspisd80xw.jpg

Industrial areas, or building hangars is also hard to pull off and one can only approximate, without modding.

Roof%20Problems_zpssjyddn9g.jpg

Not for roofs, apparently. Why BFC thought it was a good idea to allow it for facades and not roofs is anybody's guess. Dumb design decision imo. RockinHarry's screens shows why this should be implemented.

Edited by Rambler

• 2 weeks later...

Everybody wants higher framerates and larger maps so compromises have to be made somewhere. The roofing is not exactly vital to tactical gameplay so it took the hit. I recall when Steve was being flooded with requests about terrain editor features. He commented something like CM is not a horticultural landscaping sim, its a combat sim. Still, the game doesn't really do half-bad as a horticultural landscaping sim!  ;)