AAR: Rinaldi v. Emory

I was planning on filming this, but with the battle being 2 hours long and spanning a 2km squared area...I don't think I have the time or attention span to make a video that long. So I figured, why not make a botched attempt at a more traditional AAR. Bud_B, if you think your graphic artistry isn't up to snuff, you haven't seen me try to bring out the GIMP yet.

Anyways, down to business: My opponent is my long-time constant, and while he does have an account on these forums he's neither particularly active or keen on spoiling the fun, so I won't be hiding too many details. The match is, however, on-going. 

___

Battle Details:

• Month: August
  • Time: Dawn (0655 Hours)
  • Map Size: 2000m x 2000m
  • Battle Size: Huge 
  • Rarity: Standard
  • Forces: US Army (Mix) v. Waffen SS (Mix)

Terrain:

The map is a mix of interesting terrain; while it has a lot of open spaces and rolling hills, the terrain is broken up regularly by woodlots. My start line is a water obstacle; a meandering river with multiple crossing points, at least three being fords, and two being stone bridges. Two of the three fords are suitable for armored vehicles, while the last one is too deep for my taste and is surrounded by marshy terrain. Trees and orchards line both sides of the river. A rail line also crosses the river and runs perpendicular to my start line up to my left. It is actually sunken, and I do not believe it will be used to any significant effect by my enemy.

Across the river, the most dominating features are a large hill that essentially dominates all crossing points, and in the shadow of that same hill a town of significant size. The land between these points is typical farmland, and there is none of the frustrating hedgerow; quite fitting for an August battle. 

Straddling the rail-line are two farm compounds. I do not believe they will be able to be made into effective fighting positions; in short they can only do damage to me if I'm foolish enough to ram my head into them. Unless I'm proven wrong, a 'bypass, haul ass' mentality will be taken towards them. They are however objectives, and I will mop them up late game if my opponent decides he wants to fight it out.

A look at the dominating hill from my start-line, note the lower hills that could also be used as prime fighting positions for enemy guns or assault guns :

Terrain_from_Abrams_perspective.jpg

_____

Watch this space. Will be detailing my task force and my actual plan shortly.

<Snip> I don't think I have the time or attention span to make a video that long. <Snip> 

You might be able to insert a short video into the AAR every so often when you think some action in the game makes it worth while.  Just a thought.  Looking forward to this. 

Bring on the GIMP, Rinaldi! :D

Looking forward to this. Are you US or SS? What is it, an ME or Probe or...?

A suggestion - if this is taking place at dawn or dusk, can you use the ALT-B Night Brightness for your screenies; I'm having a tough time seeing much from your map.

Edited by Bud_B

Both excellent suggestions, I intend to do both until dawn breaks fully.

Looking forward to this. Are you US or SS? What is it, an ME or Probe or...?

The battle is an assault, I'm the aggressing US force. 

My OOB is as follows, and reflects a typical US Army TF from the great pursuit across France:

• Tank Battalion (Less 1 Company) - The HQ and Operations Officer of this battalion are present, and the task force is built around this unit. Both companies are at 'war-time' strength (re: With significant losses in some units), but are well led and experienced. "B" Company is worse off, and only numbers 8 M4A3s. All Shermans in the battalion are 75s. An under strength M18 Platoon is attached; and sums up about the only shiny toys I have ;)
  • A single company of Armored Infantry, less its anti-tank platoon, rounds out the third maneuver element of the Task Force. It is at full strength and while its leadership is all over the place, its equally motivated and experienced as the Tank units. A FOOB is attached to the platoon.
  • A single Engineer platoon, reinforced by two HMG teams, is attached to the Task Force.
  • Fire support....isn't as much as I would like, but is significant; 4 M7 105s in two sections (ostensibly, 1 section per tank company) provide off-map fire support, and a platoon of 81mms also lend their support.

The actual numbers of my task force as follows: 25 Medium Tanks and Tank Destroyers, with 194 Infantry split between the Engineers and Armored infantry. My task force therefore has a lot of striking power.

My task force is split into two Company teams, one led by the Battalion leader, and the other by his Ops Officer, which should allow for adequate flow of C2. The first company team, with a tank platoon and armored infantry platoon off map is pictured here. Note the XO (Jeep) of the Armored infantry attached to HQ, he will act as a liaison between the Tank battalion and the Infantry :

TFAbrams.png

This lengthy column is the the second Company team, led by the Ops Officer of the battalion. It has only a platoon of infantry in support and is smaller, its deployed on the road and will space out as it moves to the start line. Notice however how the lead tank platoon is already spaced out quite a bit from the rest of the column; this distance will multiply and allow it to act as a screening force so the column has no costly surprises:

TF_Bautz.png

Where are the Engineers? I have on my side of the river a town that overlooks the main bridge, and the Infantry, supported by an under-strength tank platoon is deployed and poised to probe the bridge, HMGs are already deployed to cover:

Engineer_Detachment.png

___

The plan is uncomplicated, as I strongly suspect it will be subject to change. It is based on two relatively safe presumptions about how my enemy will deploy, the plan for the first company team once a bridgehead is won is based on seizing the most dominant high ground. My FOOB in the village has clear line of sight on this obstacle and can walk HE and Smoke onto the heights in anticipation of my tanks crossing:

The_plan.jpg

My second company team has been tasked with securing two fords on the right-flank of my main force. Originally I intended this to be a probe, but I've decided to make this a significant thrust. Assuming the fords are neither mined or held skillfully, this Company team will proceed through low ground around the previously pictured high ground and flank the town I've assigned as my point of main effort:

Theplan2.jpg

The assault begins at 0655 hours, which means I have a limited amount of time to make use of the low-visibility to get my bridgehead established. I want my armor units in that gorgeous terrain in time for first light.

Edited by Rinaldi

Turns 1-3

Note: Click on photos for larger versions. I am currently using Bright Night and War-Movie shaders. Let me know if its still hard to see details.

I was secretly hoping that my opponent wouldn't attempt to hold the crossings right up front, but unfortunately that is precisely what he is doing. While I don't think the position he's in is tenable for any amount of time, all he has to do is delay until sunrise....especially if he has any big cats or StuGs. A result of his frontal deployment however are quite early fireworks.

The first turn is spent with my engineers in cover and my FOOB spotting. I quickly spot German infantry dug in along the orchard and river bank; already in a zone pre-planned for a short airburst barrage. So far so good; my first reasonable assumption hasn't made an ass of me ;).

The second and third turn open up hostilities as the Engineer platoon makes its first approach to the bridge; its met by fire from several other foxholes. There's at least a MG42 per fire-team; which most likely means Panzergrenadiers. Unfortunately the first move to the bridge ends with a handful of casualties at the first scrap of cover for the two assault squads.

CM_Normandy_2015_08_13_18_56_34_47.png

I had the wherewithal to deploy two M18s from my first Company team in hull-down  to cover the attack of the Engineers, and amazingly despite the low-light situation I'm able to fire .50 BMG and a few rounds of HE into the orchard with effect. Note the hull down position and target arc of the M18. I took a risk and did not have it pull back after a 30 second "Pause" command; and amazingly I took nothing but sporadic MG fire in return. Could it be that he's playing it close with his ATGs?

CM_Normandy_2015_08_13_19_31_50_74.png

As the turn ends I observe enemy casualties in all the foxholes, as well as routing enemies. Its evident I've given as good as I've received, and I intend to move up the platoon of M4A3s to smoke the opposite bank and provide fire support as I probe the bridge. Fingers crossed that the bridge isn't mined. What a windfall that will be. Note in the below photo enemy casualties from the preparatory fire; the short barrage is lifting as the third minute comes to an end.

CM_Normandy_2015_08_13_19_29_38_86.png
Edited by Rinaldi

Thanks Lethal, appreciate it.

__

Turns 3-6

With enemy positions observably being vacated, and with the supporting tank platoon firing Willy Pete and HE on the opposite bank, its time to collect casualties and shake out a two man team to test the bridge for mines. "Hunting" and pausing for 15 seconds on every action space on the bridge to probe for mines is both tedious and time consuming, but I'm hoping my caution saves lives and time later on when I have the room to put the pedal to the metal. The probing engineers make it halfway across the bridge before they are taken under fire by a LMG - it appears there was men still alive in the foxhole, or my opponent managed to get a  fireteam to crawl back into positions. Amazingly the engineers manage to hug the earth and niether are killed or wounded. The covering platoon gets spots on a rifleman (pictured) as the 6th minute of action ends. 

CM_Normandy_2015_08_15_20_22_45_30.png

CM_Normandy_2015_08_15_20_24_24_20.png

I suspect the next few minutes near the bridge won't have many reportable events; so what is happening with my other company team? 

CM_Normandy_2015_08_15_19_58_35_38.png

My lead Sherman platoon hunts down the road, in decent (well, by my standards perhaps) intervals, while the rest of the Company team wait around the corner out of line of sight. Once again, I have no burning wrecks, so my opponent appears to not have any AT guns watching this ford. However, as the platoon probes down the road, the commander of the 2nd tank (The PHQ) is taken under HMG fire and buttons up. The turn ends with the third tank in the column getting a spot on the culprit; some HE will be flying down range shortly.

I'd be amazed at my luck if this HMG is the only enemy presence watching this excellent ford. However, rather than rely on luck, I'm going to cautiously probe the lead tank platoon up to the forests while the 2nd tank platoon deploys in line along the metalled road (being slightly uphill, I have line of sight on the fords) - I think a quick dismount by my infantry to check the banks is prudent. 

By the end of the 6th turn, this is what the situation looks like:

CM_Normandy_2015_08_15_20_27_56_68.png

Edited by Rinaldi

<snip> test the bridge for mines. "Hunting" and pausing for 15 seconds on every action space on the bridge to probe for mines is both tedious and time consuming, but I'm hoping my caution saves lives and time later on when I have the room to put the pedal to the metal.

Well, there's something I have very limited experience with: mines and detecting them. I like how you did that, is that a common technique? I don't recall reading it in any other AARs.

You've been very fortunate that your opponent didn't try to make your crossing more difficult. I wonder if he worried about artillery barrages at such an obviously location?

Well, there's something I have very limited experience with: mines and detecting them. I like how you did that, is that a common technique? I don't recall reading it in any other AARs. 

The technique I'm using is cutting corners. In reality you only detect mines by standing in the square adjacent to them for some length of time, and its based on the veterancy and leadership skills of the engineers as well, I believe. I've managed to cross the half the bridge with no mines detected, so this (highly dangerous) way of searching for mines so far has saved me quite a bit of time.

TL;DR: I'm cutting massive corners because I want units across the river before daybreak.

The technique I'm using is cutting corners. In reality you only detect mines by standing in the square adjacent to them for some length of time, and its based on the veterancy and leadership skills of the engineers as well, I believe. I've managed to cross the half the bridge with no mines detected, <Snip>

The skill level of engineers contributes to how well they spot mines and also how fast they can Blast.  I have seen them spot and mark mines in the same action spot they occupy.  My SOP is to have engineers Slow into the suspected minefield action spot.  After marking the minefield I have follow on infantry Slow across the marked action spot.

Can minefields be placed on the actual bridge?  I know they can be placed on the approaches to the bridge.  I guess I should give this a quick test.

Nice AAR.  I am enjoying it.       

<snip>

Can minefields be placed on the actual bridge?  I know they can be placed on the approaches to the bridge.<snip>

I didn't have the time to test this, so the safest assumption is that they can be, not something I'd decry as 'gamey',anyways. So far, so good however. 

I should have the next few minutes of action up soon, I get brought back to reality with some enemy panzerfauts and schrecks, my first significant losses of the match, but I do have some luck in the center and push an engineer unit across with minimal loss of life. I'm trying not to think in body counts at the moment, but I'm fairly confident that I've lost less than I've given out, which is always good. A lot was revealed about just how spread out he is as well, so I'm hoping my relatively concentrated pushes were the right idea.

Edited by Rinaldi

I didn't have the time to test this, so the safest assumption is that they can be, not something I'd decry as 'gamey',anyways. So far, so good however. 

I should have the next few minutes of action up soon, I get brought back to reality with some enemy panzerfauts and schrecks, my first significant losses of the match, but I do have some luck in the center and push an engineer unit across with minimal loss of life. I'm trying not to think in body counts at the moment, but I'm fairly confident that I've lost less than I've given out, which is always good. A lot was revealed about just how spread out he is as well, so I'm hoping my relatively concentrated pushes were the right idea.

Sounds like an exciting turn! I can hardly wait to see! 

<snip>Now more screenshots!! 

Ask and ye shall recieve!

___

Turns 9-12 (Part One):

The three minutes between turns 6 to 9 was basically dominated by moving into position and only light and inconclusive exchanges of fire with remaining enemy outposts so I've decided to save some space and cut that out. These last four minutes of play however have been action packed. Unfortunately, my opponent begins to make his presence felt with some effect:

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_11_55_50_02.png

On my right my Company team attempting to cross the ford has clearly eliminated the HMG; and as I deploy a platoon of tanks to cover the rest of the unit crossing, all hell breaks loose; I immediately lose the platoon commander to small arms fire from a second position further back from the ford, and the surviving crew members back the tank into cover on their own initiative. The Platoon NCO's tank is then promptly hit by a panzerschreck; killing a crew-member and causing the panicked crew to dismount. Only time will tell what the damage on the tank is, but I'm hoping to get the crew back in when they're calmed down.

Amazingly, the Panzerschreck in the wheat field is actually spotted by the remaining units on overwatch and is promptly knocked out by a combination of HE fire from tanks, and rifle fire from the now-in-position armored infantry, I also have the silver lining of getting a spot on his second set of rifle pits. Note the headquarters and weapons elements of the attached platoon; MG fire will pin any occupants in that foxhole and allow the 60mms accurate and rapid fire to destroy or suppress them:

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_11_57_31_72.png

Here's the plan:

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_12_07_39_98.png

As you can see, I already have a squad of the platoon pushing up to the ford to babysit and maneuver with the tank waiting at the water's edge.The 60mm is already firing, and a second rifle squad is dismounting and preparing to cross alongside the first. Also note the smoke screen covering the tank platoon that just recently suffered a dismount and casualties. This smokescreen, coupled with my base of fire, should allow for a safe remount when the HQ crew is ready to receive orders again. All in all, I think I've reacted quite well. 

However, as the next part will reveal, my little diversion with the tank section to the stone bridge on the left - completely unsupported - turns out to be a big disaster.

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_12_08_43_48.png

But that's for the next part to reveal ;) More posts soon.

Turns 9-12 (Part Two):

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_12_34_26_55.png

I left off last post with the brain-fart of me sending a tank section unsupported to probe the defenses around another stone bridge. After a minute of sitting there, unbuttoned watching, I decide that if my enemy is holding the crossing, its not up close - an amazing opportunity, right?

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_12_34_52_15.png

Wrong.

My opponent is learning quickly - losing his HMG because it was foolish enough to open up on unbuttoned tankers moving together clearly made him realize that firing as soon as he can isn't always the best option. Hats off to his fire discipline. The panzerfaust hits and an immediate catastrophic explosion kills the entire crew. I'm officially down my first tank, note the foxholes that I was clearly victimized from :

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_12_35_39_63.png

I'll have to give my head a shake, because I'm not precisely sure what I was thinking with that little adventure, but is there anything I can take from this? Sure, one piece of info; my opponent is most likely attempting to hold all crossing points, which means putting significant weight against a handful of crossing points (as I intended to do originally) is the best way to gain a bridgehead.

On my left, the point of main effort, I'm ready to establish a bridgehead. I've deduced that, whether it was possible or not to begin with, the bridge is not mined. I rush an engineer squad across, stopping about 30m away from the first set of foxholes to toss a grenade, and rapidly establish a bridgehead. A tank is about to rush across to help mop up the enemy remnants in the orchard. The red arrow represents where I previously noticed my opponent retreating. Not sure if the initial retreat was because of units panicking, or by design - so I'll make no assumptions yet.

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_12_36_22_72.png

Some images of the initial assault:

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_12_37_19_22.png

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_12_38_11_18.png

CM_Normandy_2015_08_19_12_38_56_36.png

Good question, I'd estimate between a 140-175m shot; I know that the infantry along the wooden fence were about 270m away from the Panzerschreck's position, and the Tanks about halfway between them both.

That is a nice loooong shot with a panzerschreck.  My SOP, for awhile now, has been to spit off the AT team from the squad (2nd split C-Team) and give them a 90 meter 360 degree Armor Target Arc.  In my experience the "effective" range has been about 100 meters.  I make the Armored Target Arc just a little smaller to try to increase the chance of a first hit since many times there is no second chance.  Nice shot.  Give that troop an Iron Cross.       

I believe that's known as a 'field-expedient roadblock'. That pretty much shuts down that bridge for any future traffic, yes?

That could get interesting.  Depending on how wide the bridge is and given the KO'ed tank is towards on end it is possible that other vehicles could find a gap and get past.  Possible but no certain.

Good question, I'd estimate between a 140-175m shot; I know that the infantry along the wooden fence were about 270m away from the Panzerschreck's position, and the Tanks about halfway between them both.

In my Russian game I've had some shockingly distant shots with a panzerschrek that took me by surprise. I thought I was at a safe distance and...wasn't. 

Normally SLIM I'd agree, that particular bridge would be essentially useless now; but there are two dirt paths on either side of the bridge that appear to be vehicle fordable. Regardless its not one of my selected crossing points, which just reinforces the stupidity I showed when I forced my way across it with no support

Here's the image of the bridge, note the dirt paths:  

CM_Normandy_2015_08_22_14_51_04_90.png

In my Russian game I've had some shockingly distant shots with a panzerschrek that took me by surprise. I thought I was at a safe distance and...wasn't

Never doubt first shot accuracy, I've had similar luck and results when I'm on the other side of the tube. I'm presuming his forces are fairly well trained as well, I'd be shocked if the average soldier isn't set to 'veteran.' That would definitely help explain things. 

I was told by a friend that the map we're fighting on is actually used as a scenario map; but I can't seem to find a scenario in my cache that uses this terrain. Anyone have any ideas?

Turns 13-15:

Just a quick update, and more of a general overview of where the battle now stands.

The magic word is: Bridgehead. I have one now, and these sets of turns begin with the Platoon leader of the supporting tanks mopping up my enemy's attempt to....fight it out, I believe. Curiously, he had Mortars near the rear-edge of the treeline, but luckily they were knocked out before they could zero, and whatever rounds they fired landed into the river. 

CM_Normandy_2015_08_23_08_17_05_16.png

While I'd like to say I have a bridgehead in my second company team's zone, the going has been slower. This set of turns have seen me pushing across river with the rifle elements of the platoon. The plan is to fan out, conduct a recon of the foxholes that were shelled earlier, and hope that there's no enfilading fire. Note the smoke from the supporting Tank, blinding for a few moments the known enemy positions as I cross.

CM_Normandy_2015_08_23_08_19_29_43.png

Here's the situation at the end of these set of turns; on my left, I'm comfortable with declaring that I now have a bridgehead. The bank has been swept and the Orchard is devoid of enemy. The plan now is to push the (still battle-worthy) Engineer platoon with its supporting tank platoon to cover the exposed flank  of the company team (the first half of which is pictured in column) to cross and fan out to attack the high ground. I observed enemy fleeing towards the marked treeline, and I've actually spotted what looks like sandbang corners. A 105mm barrage is being sent in and should be firing-for-effect as I am ready to deploy to attack.

CM_Normandy_2015_08_23_08_47_39_27.png

On my right, I've managed to recover from my little brainfart, the ruins of that still highly visible for all to see ;) and have begun fording the river. At present, I'm moving in fire-teams so that maximum overwatch both up-close and afar can be observed. On the far right, I've debated probing that ford at the edge of the map, but I believe it is not fordable by tanks. Regardless, its a further dilution of strength, and I know nothing of what my enemy's positions there may be. I do, however, know quite a bit about the marked tree line watching the ford; he has at least a squad there, and probably the better part of a platoon as well. I can mass fire on that, so unless he has clever enfilading positions, I should be rollin' here shortly too.

CM_Normandy_2015_08_23_08_47_58_76.png

Edited by Rinaldi