question on targetting damage

Sublime

I know from experience in the WW2 titles if your weapon controls on a tank were destroyed that the main gun was out of action? what about the targetting subsystem in modern titles? ISTR tanks firing on regardless but Im wondering about vehicles that use ATGMs, ToW vehicles, Shturms, Khriz' etc..?

Sublime,

Tanks in CMBS generally have two separate sighting systems, the roof and the turret front, so a hit could take down one but still leave the other, I believe. It is likely that weapon controls may refer to the actual drives and such controlling the gun proper. Losing those would likely screw the tank outright or force it from the battle. Bovington's Tiger 1 fell into British hands when a 6 pdr. shot hit the barrel sleeve, then the mantlet, finally ricocheting smack into the junction of the turret and the turret ring, locking the turret so it couldn't rotate. Crew abandoned the tank.

Likewise, the Kriz should theoretically be able to take a FC loss and still be able to fight, because it has two discrete and physically separated guidance systems. This presumes the launcher isn't hit! Contrairiwise, Shturm-S appears to have only a single fire control assembly, so could be F-Killed with one hit--via the FC or the launcher. Bradleys have dual TOW launchers with only one integrated sight system (visual/TV/thermal). The system can keep two missiles airborne simultaneously within IFOV, but the first must impact before another target can be hit. Not sure how the Stryker TOW and Hummer TOW are implemented but expect it to be much cruder (worse thermals) and will certainly have only one guidance channel. The Kornet equipped Tigr clearly has two separate weapon mounts, each of which has all the TA and missile guidance goodies. Consequently, Tigr can theoretically take sensor loss and launcher loss to one mount and still fight with the remaining one. Note use of limiter.No idea whether the Tigr Kornet can separately engage two targets simultaneously. The configuration, with full duplication of the FC and launchers, certainly suggests this as a possibility.

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

For weapons controls you generally have two sets on most tanks, a powered traverse/elevation and, and then a manual handcrank  traverse/elevation.  While it does not strictly spell it out, I'd always imagined "weapons control" failures to mean the power traverse is broken and it's reverted to manual.  If the turret ring itself was broken (thus preventing ANY traverse) that's pretty much tank leaving the battlefield/evacuate the tank criteria there).

For ATGM type vehicles, anything that constitutes "weapons control" strikes me as a reason the missile wouldn't work.  Some of the missiles have dual guidance systems but they're generally controlled through the same "box". So if the radar on the Kriz is snipped off by a sabot it can revert to SACLOS from my understanding, but as John points out if the FC is fried you're in a world of suck.

As far as the TOW vehicles mentioned, the Stryker ATGM and Bradley are more or less in the same boat, and have similar optics (not "The same" but not a wide gap) while the HMMWV's is just the standard dismounted TOW launcher on the roof of the HMMWV.  If it's weapons control is broken, I imagine it's because the ITAS is smashed, or the soldier controlling it is not doing so well.