Campaigns,H2H Ever?

Well, the game engine was built with real-time play in mind, so any solution would have to be programmed with that capability. So the game would need to support 4 direct connections, all of which can give orders to the troops they have assigned.

If one is doing PBEM then the capability for 2v2 play is already there so long as everything stays organized, which you already know. I know of a 2v2 game going on over at FGM as well.

The real implementation would have to support either real-time, or turn based TCP/IP with 4 players being connected simultaneously.

The current PBEM implementation of 2v2 is more of a stop-gap procedure, while support for 2v2 direct connection multiplayer could be a big selling point.

Much like the Scourge of War implemented 8 player multiplayer. Each player is in charge of the formation they have selected, and all fight simultaneously in real time.

It's on the radar, but I do believe it lives at the very bottom of the list.

We will probably see 2v2 multiplayer scenarios long before we get full multiplayer support for campaigns.

IIRC 2vs2 is on the 'never' list. I can't remember if something was said for 1vs1 campaigns though I wish it would happen (see sig :) )

Thanks SLIM. Wow! I see. I didn't even think of real time for 2v2.

It must be very exciting!

But I prefer the 2v2 as wego pbem because I can enjoy watching the saved turns!

And for the older guy crowd I shuffle along with...the send a turn in when you get a chance better fits my lifestyle!

IIRC 2vs2 is on the 'never' list. I can't remember if something was said for 1vs1 campaigns though I wish it would happen (see sig :) )

I do recall 2v2 team based multiplayer was discussed several times, but I never heard an official position. I'm of the opinion it would add value to the game, but honestly I could take it or leave it. H2H campaigns would definitely be my preference as well.

2v2 (or v n) was, IIRC, slated as one of the features they wanted for CMSF. It's just so technically challenging (for RealTime play, I guess) that they've not figured out how to do it and don't expect to be able to spend the time to solve the problems any time soon. At least that's the gist of what I remember Steve saying.

OK, so maybe for many folks the real time n versus n button on their CM screen would be a dusty and seldom used feature?

I finally tried a game called CO2 <Command Ops 2 by Panther and Lock n Load> and it is in real time and can be sped up.

An operational level game that has some Bulge battles. It reminded me of watching box turtles when I was a kid!

I once gathered up about a dozen box turtles from the woods and had them all herded in one area.

You turn your head once and them slow moving suckers are gone!

My point for me: On that Manhay Crossroads map, I would get focused on one area and then didn't notice other stuff happening...

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 9/25/2020 at 6:51 AM, Divadov said:

5 YEARS HAS PASSED and still can't play multiplayer campaigns!!!

Correct and don't hold your breath. I bring it up every now and then as it is my most wanted feature. Steve has said the number of people who want it is a vanishingly small portion of the player population.

The majority of people only play against the AI. Of those that play PBEM many of those avoid long scenarios because it can take months or years to play them. Playing a campaign H2H via PBEM would take n times longer. So, the number of people who want to play H2H campaigns may be all the people on this thread and no one else.

I think that the closest we would get is if somebody designed several related scenarios on a Huge map or several maps of the same area. If X side wins go to scenario A and if Y side wins go to scenario B. You could put in the surviving forces to start the battle and have new units as reinforcements. It would be a lot of work and probably why there aren't any that I know of.

On 9/26/2020 at 1:52 PM, IanL said:

The majority of people only play against the AI. Of those that play PBEM many of those avoid long scenarios because it can take months or years to play them. Playing a campaign H2H via PBEM would take n times longer. So, the number of people who want to play H2H campaigns may be all the people on this thread and no one else.

I found that I like playing H2H better as people are unpredictable although reliable opponents can be hard to find.