where to find Russian current OOBs

Boche

Just out of curiosity im trying to find information on OOB at brigade/division level

I started out with the units we are supposed to be facing in the US campaign. 20th Motor-Rifle brigade and 10th Guards Tank Brigade. The only place I can find "proof" that these units exist is in the supposedly current OOB of Russian Ground Forces thats on Wikipedia.

i understand that Russia is probably a difficult place to get this sort of information out of, so I was just wondering if anyone knew of a place, website or had a PDF or something on Russia ground forces current OOB.

Thank you

10th Tank Brigade is a mistake in the game OOB, as far as I can tell.  I don't think any such unit exists or has existed in the past.  Probably should be 1st Tank Brigade, but as of this year that is becoming the reconstituted 10th Guards Uralsko-Lvovskaya Volunteer Tank Division.  Seeing as the new division will be stationed near the Ukraine border, you can probably swap the 10th Tank Division for the Brigade.

I haven't found a single source listing the complete OOB that is entirely current.  The 2010 structures for the various military districts on wikipedia are generally correct, but don't reflect some recent changes and additions.  Same is listed here:

https://russiamil.wordpress.com/2010/08/06/ground-forces-structure-and-locations/

This also has good info, but not entirely up to date, and with some errors:

http://www.academia.edu/5407818/2013_The_Military_Capability_of_Russias_Armed_Forces_in_2013_in_Hedenskog_and_Vendil_Pallin_eds_Russian_Military_Capability_in_A_Ten-Year_Perspective

Note in particular that 5th MRB is now 2nd MRD, and 4th TB is now 4th TD (and possibly these also absorbed other brigades in their formation).

Edited by akd

Boche, you bring up a great question; but unfortunately it's almost impossible to give an accurate answer to it. Russian army has inherited the Soviet tradition where every formation had somewhat unique structure and TOE. They had made a conscious effort to standardize their brigade-level TOE in the late 2000s; but that effort seems to have failed due to a multitude of social, economic, and operational reasons.

However, there are still some basic commonalities that are shared by most ground forces. For instance, a Motor-Rifle brigade would generally consist of 3 Motor-Rifle Battalions, 1 Tank battalion, a recon battalion (broken down into LRRP and Electronic recon companies), at least 2 mixed artillery/rocket battalions, and an AD/AAA battalion along with some other support assets. However, each brigade has some unique equipment and org structure that varies from others.

It is also important to note that Russians have been fighting with BTG formations (that are even more unique and dynamic than proper brigades). BTGs tend to be even more unique in their structure due to the resoures that are available to them, and special tasks that are placed upon them.

Oh, if you mean TO&E for these units, then yes, that is much more difficult for the reasons DreDay enumerates.  The game generally assumes the "new look" brigade structure mentioned above (tank brigade is the reverse, with 3x tank battalions, 1x motor rifle battalion) that was supposed to be standardized.

Oh, if you mean TO&E for these units, then yes, that is much more difficult for the reasons DreDay enumerates.  The game generally assumes the "new look" brigade structure mentioned above (tank brigade is the reverse, with 3x tank battalions, 1x motor rifle battalion) that was supposed to be standardized.

Agreed. It is generally safe to assume that a Motor-Rifle Brigade would have 3 BTR/BMP battalions and one tank battalion; while a tank brigade would have exactly opposite ratio... In that sense, new Russian brigades seem to follow the structure of old soviet Regiments (albeit with more support assets). Still though, there are some anomalies that simply don't make sense - for instance 27th Sevastopol Motor-Rifle Brigade (a relatively elite unit) of Western Military District deploys BTRs and BMPs at the same time... Why? Your guess is as good as mine..

Edited by DreDay