CMRT Gates of Warsaw Redux released

Cool.

Question - I've literally just started ( ie. only the Germans have set up so far ) a PBEM of the original with a friend who is still a noob at CM.

Would you suggest staying with it or starting with Redux - ie. if Redux is harder ( esp. for the Russians ), I'd stick with the current, but if there are significant improvements that wont weaken the sides then we could change over.

@mjkerner: this version of GoW was not published before. There was a GoW 1.1 to correct a few minor things, but Redux is new. So unless you have a release candidate from the testing cycle (you were one of the playtesters so this is very likely), it is not possible you have this one already  :) This is indeed the version that was made in August 2014. I finalized it sometime in september. I was saving it for a release along with the next module for CMRT. But Bulge was first and The Scenario Depot looked really good, so I thought ow well, let's release it now.

@Baneman: most changes are subtle. The aim of Redux was to make it somewhat harder for the German player. It was felt they had it a tad easy (of course very much depending of the skill of the player, but still). 

Hopefully this will present a bit more of a challenge for the German player. Let me know how it plays out; I am always hungry for feedback.

@all: this was in my vault for 10 months, so memory is kinda blurry concerning what changes I did for Redux. My notes from then are...messy  :D. I had little time to walk through Redux again top to bottom for release, since I am caught up with Bulge right now. So I trust I knew what I was doing 10 months ago...

Edited by PanzerMike

@mjkerner: this version of GoW was not published before. There was a GoW 1.1 to correct a few minor things, but Redux is new. So unless you have a release candidate from the testing cycle (you were one of the playtesters so this is very likely), it is not possible you have this one already  :) This is indeed the version that was made in August 2014. I finalized it sometime in september. I was saving it for a release along with the next module for CMRT. But Bulge was first and The Scenario Depot looked really good, so I thought ow well, let's release it now.

Lol, I thought it looked familiar! So were there any changes after the playtesting was completed?  If so, I'll swap this "new" one out fore the old one.

• 6 months later...

PanzerMike,

I just finished the Redux version.   Didn't play the original. 

What a freaking ride...this one had it all.  Played it Axis vs AI on Elite and eeked out a German Tactical Victory.

At one point there were four different actions going on in different locations of the map.  I had to move from one to the next in systematic fashion to make sure I addressed each particular hot spot.

The map was so big that if you didn't utilize your recon units you were letting yourself in for some ugly surprises.  I pushed the Kubelwagen boys out to recon and this was well worth it as it saved me on several occasions.  Some might be put off by the long time frame, but that was necessary to do the scouting.  I had to reign in the panzers and let the recon boys do their thing.

The Russian tank lads were quite good at long range gunnery.  I must have had some bad rolls of the dice as quite a few of my Panthers took gun hits and lost their main 75 guns.  I didn't let them head to the rear though, as I needed everyone to stay in line and confuse the Soviet tankers about who could still shoot back. 

There were some crazy tank battles and I thought the enemy placement was quite challenging. 

One of the Russian tankers blew up my FO, so I wasn't able to control the Luftwaffe when they finally showed up.  Göring's boys must have been new at this or more interested in white bread and marmalade back at the airfield.  They came close to being effective at one point, but I think they were actually trying to blast one of my tanks and missed, dropping the bomb in the woods near it and actually helping me a little as the woods was salted with enemy soldiers.

This was a thoroughly enjoyable battle with lots of tank-on-tank action, but infantry played their part too.  Careful use of the halftracks and the other equipment paid off and allowed me to get all the way across the map in time to make a decent effort at capturing the final objectives.  I was carefully pushing forward when time ran out - I actually used the full time allotment.

This was very nicely done and quite a challenge.  Combined arms used properly was very necessary.  Thanks for your hard work on this.  It was well worth it.

Heinrich505 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Heinrich. Thanks for the kind words! It is always nice to hear that a labor of love is appreciated.

I have not been very active making new scenarios for CMRT, because most of my time was dedicated to making scenarios for the upcoming CMFB release. But when we return to the Ostfront at some time in the near future, I will be back too :-)

PanzerMike,

Very glad to hear that.  I am looking forward to seeing what marvels you have created for CMFB. 

Dark side of the moon, eh?  Reference to Pink Floyd?

"It was dark all around.
There was frost on the ground
When the tigers broke free..."

Might be interesting to see a scenario about that song...

Heinrich505

PanzerMike,

Ah HAH.  Guessed it.  Yes, the Tigers broke free in Anzio.  Interesting read about that encounter.  Definitely CMFI.

Playing through Lancing the Abscess in CMFI right now.  Rather large battle so slow going.  There are Tigers in this too, but this was one of the attacks against the US area.

Made me think of Water's song.  Very moving rendition.

Heinrich505