Jump to content

Getting into more complex builds. Is it worth it?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok no shader, no ps, exact cropped screen grabs.                              

Sainte Marie Du Mont with new grass, Bushes and trees from Hedgerow Hell mod, (highly recommended)...   Beautiful natural countryside around Sainte Marie Du Monts, where para fought pa

Caratan Causeway map: Work in progress.                          

23 hours ago, NPye said:

Yeh it runs fine my maps are quite large but they stil run fine, I have 16gb Ram 1 gig vRAM, imac...

Interesting, your iMac’s graphics card seems to do a very good job of rendering, seemingly better than that of my more recent (2019) iMac. Reading back through this thread I notice that you were using MacOS 10.6.8, out of interest what OS are you using now.

Also +1 for providing the au naturel screen grabs, it’s good to see how much can still be milked from the old engine ...

 

10 hours ago, 3j2m7 said:

and the vegetation is like the one from @Lucky_Strike 

I think that Mr Pye is using a mix of mods at the moment, I can see stock(ish) trees and bushes with what look a bit like some of Ez’s doodads. Would love to see what he can do with my Hedgerow Hell mods 😉 (sorry for blatant self promo ...)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Interesting, your iMac’s graphics card seems to do a very good job of rendering, seemingly better than that of my more recent (2019) iMac. Reading back through this thread I notice that you were using MacOS 10.6.8, out of interest what OS are you using now.

Also +1 for providing the au naturel screen grabs, it’s good to see how much can still be milked from the old engine ...

 

I think that Mr Pye is using a mix of mods at the moment, I can see stock(ish) trees and bushes with what look a bit like some of Ez’s doodads. Would love to see what he can do with my Hedgerow Hell mods 😉 (sorry for blatant self promo ...)

IM using Mac Os Catalina latest version. i haven't touched the trees yet and use other peoples mods for certain bits.... Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lucky_Strike said:

 

I think that Mr Pye is using a mix of mods at the moment, I can see stock(ish) trees and bushes with what look a bit like some of Ez’s doodads. Would love to see what he can do with my Hedgerow Hell mods 😉 (sorry for blatant self promo ...)

Yes this will be interesting, cos yours mod are already on the top, could be also interesting to share, compare, together and keep the best on common accord of course !

Edited by 3j2m7
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NPye said:

How do i download Hedgerow hell I cant find anything???????

 

Sorry, that thread seems to have been gutted of images for some reason. You can get the mod here and see some images here and one more here

I use ReShade on my Windows 10 gaming PC - only used for CM - for playing CM, but I work on a Mac for making the mods. I must try Catalina, the graphics are definitely superior by the looks of it. I usually stay an OS, or two, behind the curve as I have to deal with older software for client work, but with that being so thin on the ground I may just take the opportunity to move to Catalina. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, 3j2m7 said:

Yes this will be interesting, cos yours mod are already on the top, could be also interesting to share, compare, together and keep the best on common accord of course !

You are too kind sir 😎

NPye’s work is very far reaching and has come at a time when the game could see a massive influx of new players. Showing what the game engine is capable of both in terms of play and graphics could really help benefit @Battlefront.com at this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lucky_Strike said:

Sorry, that thread seems to have been gutted of images for some reason. You can get the mod here and see some images here and one more here

I use ReShade on my Windows 10 gaming PC - only used for CM - for playing CM, but I work on a Mac for making the mods. I must try Catalina, the graphics are definitely superior by the looks of it. I usually stay an OS, or two, behind the curve as I have to deal with older software for client work, but with that being so thin on the ground I may just take the opportunity to move to Catalina. 
 

Wow love your mod just what i needed for the long grasses and flowers, I cant use the Reshade as its only available for the PC im on mac, but what i downloaded from you is better than i'm using so all good there, just wish i could use the full thing, blurry backgrounds etc soft shadows awesome...

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NPye said:

Wow love your mod just what i needed for the long grasses and flowers, I cant use the Reshade as its only available for the PC im on mac, but what i downloaded from you is better than i'm using so all good there, just wish i could use the full thing, blurry backgrounds etc soft shadows awesome...

Thanks, really look forward to seeing what you can do with these. I will hopefully get the last doodads into a version 2 release soon, if they are taking too long I may release them piecemeal, I’m about halfway through the crops, which are proving quite tricky because of some very extreme, unexplained ingame distortions, whilst I’ve made various brush doodads which are pretty much ready to go.

ReShade is indeed some very clever stuff. Much of it is way above my pay grade, but I can see it’s massive potential which is why I like to game on the PC. I’m a longtime Mac user but when it comes to CM I am really torn between the ease of my Mac and the superior gaming environment that the PC offers me. There is a new subscription gaming PC cloud service thingy taking off, Shadow, which is essentially the player/user hiring a PC somewhere in the cloud online and then streaming that to their own device be it PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or whatever they support in the future. It may seem relatively pricey but if you put the cost into the context of ownership (ie initial outlay for a decent gaming PC) with all the extra cost that that entails (I’m thinking maintenance time, upgrades and backup for example) then it starts to look quite good value. I believe it’s been live in the US for a while and is being rolled out across other countries. It does, of course, need a decent internet connection but nothing too exotic.

What I’d ideally like is for BF to improve the graphics engine a bit to leverage some more features from the OpenGL drivers, or whatever is needed. I’m sure it could be done with some effort, but I guess they are going to be more concerned with game engine 3 than trying to gild this particular turd erm lily 😉.

Whilst I really like what I can do with ReShade it’s not perfect for gameplay as it comes with a penalty. I usually switch off the shallow depth-of-field effects since that is quite a heavy gas guzzler, the rest of the effects are pretty much playable though things such as eye adaption (how it adjusts for light and dark areas like the human eye does) are also quite GPU/CPU intensive and they can be a bit distracting sometimes.

Anyway, can’t wait to see how the Carentan shapes up with some new vegetation!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving the trees as well, such an improvement, I don't feel the need to change any of it, love it as it is. I've kept my ground files as they have been designed to work as a set all interlinking with each other. Cant wait to see the rest, let me know when completed. Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Sainte Marie Du Mont with new grass, Bushes and trees from Hedgerow Hell mod, (highly recommended)...

 

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 08.55.19

Beautiful natural countryside around Sainte Marie Du Monts, where para fought para on the first day of D-Day.

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 08.57.39

To the north of St Marie du Monts is the Brecourt Manor Battery, lets see how many men you would need to extinguish this threat to Utah Beach.

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 09.08.10

In St Marie Du Monts

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 09.08.02

In St Marie Du Monts

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 09.07.11

In St Marie Du Monts

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 09.01.47

The grave  yard in St Marie Du Monts

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 09.05.29

In St Marie Du Monts, note the Normandy stone farm houses where no windows or doors face the roadside, this is very common in Norman villages.

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 09.05.13

In St Marie Du Monts, buldings with advertising hand painted onto the brick work.

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 08.59.12

Destroyed Wespes

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 08.59.32

Destroyed farm on the way to St Mari Du Monts.

Edited by NPye
Ad text
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NPye said:

Loving the trees as well, such an improvement, I don't feel the need to change any of it, love it as it is. I've kept my ground files as they have been designed to work as a set all interlinking with each other. Cant wait to see the rest, let me know when completed. Cheers

I’ll send you a link to some more (brush and crops) when I have those finished in the next couple of weeks. These are some of the biggest textures, and hardest to get right.

8 hours ago, NPye said:

Sainte Marie Du Mont with new grass, Bushes and trees from Hedgerow Hell mod, (highly recommended)..

Great, thanks for sharing these. Really liking those Norman farms and houses. Do you have an idea of when you will be able to share some of your goodies?

Cheers

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I’ll send you a link to some more (brush and crops) when I have those finished in the next couple of weeks. These are some of the biggest textures, and hardest to get right.

Great, thanks for sharing these. Really liking those Norman farms and houses. Do you have an idea of when you will be able to share some of your goodies?

Cheers

MY Z folder is so big i need to update my dropbox to accommodate it all,  I plan to do this at the end of the month, then let anyone use what they want, I also have literally 100s of maps all drawn from original 1944 aerials, mainly British and Canadian focused on D-day, Sword, Gold and Juno beaches then the early days of Normandy to operation Epsom plus a few quirky stealth ones when you have to kill a Waffen SS Obergruppenfurhrer and tiger tank crew who had to abandon their tank and must now get it back under fire...all exciting stuff... then I have the Utah to Carantan scenarios which are my latest...

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NPye said:

you have to kill a Waffen SS Obergruppenfurhrer and tiger tank crew who had to abandon their tank and must now get it back under fire...all exciting stuff

Sounds good.  Can the AI command a crew to do that or is this a H2H scenario?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Erwin said:

Sounds good.  Can the AI command a crew to do that or is this a H2H scenario?

Its best if you play as the attackers as the as the story goes something like this the SS officer goes to a cafe every night and drive from his command post to get there with escort, plus german SS units are patrolling the local area, this is perfect for AI setup, then the SS officer goes back to his Chateau HQ, so British Commandoes have been given the job of Killing him, now if you miss him whilst in transit you will have to assualt the HQ, which will be tough, if you manage to kill him then there is an exit on the map for you to escape....nice bit of fun and quite difficult as i've set armoured vehicles to patrol the roads and infantry to patrol the countryside.

 

The Tiger tank scenario is this you are part of a crew who got surprised by British infantry (whilst eating outside your tank), you had to move away quickly to avoid detection, fortunately your tank is well camouflaged under some trees and it doesn't appear that the British have found it, your Commander is furious with you and orders you to move through British territory to get the tank back to HQ, you have been given a small infantry group to help but beware there are British infantry patrols everywhere, stealth is the key here so do not fire on any enemy soldiers unless you have to, get that tank back. This cant be done by the AI as you cant mount the crew into the tanks once it has departed from it... all good comic stuff and less serious than most of my other scenarios, I used to read all those Commandoes, Battle and Warlord comics that were big here in the UK in the 1970s... coming soon...

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NPye said:

I used to read all those Commandoes, Battle and Warlord comics that were big here in the UK in the 1970s... coming soon...

I hear you bro’ - now what we need is a Johnny Red scenario for CMRT where he crash lands his Hawker Hurricane behind enemy lines and has to fight his way back to his unit, or a Hellman of Hammer Force scenario, one panzer slugging it out ... man those were great comics, couldn’t wait for the weekend ... BattleDandy and a quarter of sherbet pips - sorted!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lucky_Strike said:

I hear you bro’ - now what we need is a Johnny Red scenario for CMRT where he crash lands his Hawker Hurricane behind enemy lines and has to fight his way back to his unit, or a Hellman of Hammer Force scenario, one panzer slugging it out ... man those were great comics, couldn’t wait for the weekend ... BattleDandy and a quarter of sherbet pips - sorted!

To be honest dude i've still got loads... I used to have the first edition of warlord but lost it over the years now worth 10,000 quid in good nick....FFS. Yeh loved um bud... the Executioner, Union jack johnson awesome stories...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers bud, i'm playin with them grass textures, looking really good i'm from Norfolk which is very similar in places (North Norfolk) to Normandy and am very familiar to the countryside and  love studying it now for map ideas...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NPye said:

To be honest dude i've still got loads... I used to have the first edition of warlord but lost it over the years now worth 10,000 quid in good nick....FFS. Yeh loved um bud... the Executioner, Union jack johnson awesome stories...

Say whhhaaattt! I was just looking at the Battle entry on Wikipedia, they have an pic of the front cover of issue 1, I was thinking to myself how I used to have that, near mint with the stickers as well, I don’t even want to know what it was worth, I think I gave away my entire collection of practically every issue from the early years ... LAH LAH LAH fingers in ears, I don’t want to know! Is there an emoji for that?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NPye said:

Cheers bud, i'm playin with them grass textures, looking really good i'm from Norfolk which is very similar in places (North Norfolk) to Normandy and am very familiar to the countryside and  love studying it now for map ideas...

It’s great work and will enhance the game no end. I visited that part of Norfolk some years back, I can see the similarity with the Carentan maps you’ve made. Really looking forward to downloading some of these maps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NPye said:

To be honest dude i've still got loads... I used to have the first edition of warlord but lost it over the years now worth 10,000 quid in good nick....FFS. Yeh loved um bud... the Executioner, Union jack johnson awesome stories...

Union Jack Jackson I thought ...

I seem to recall the strip about the Germans on the Eastern Front was quite popular - name escapes me though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Combatintman said:

Union Jack Jackson I thought ...

I seem to recall the strip about the Germans on the Eastern Front was quite popular - name escapes me though.

Oh yes it was Jackson...great stories , The Secret Files Of The Luftwaffe....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...