Getting into more complex builds. Is it worth it?

NPye

Hi Ben

Did a bit more testing last night on my original plan. IE: to use transparent/invisible windows in the same places as the damaged windows in the wall textures - in order to allow troops inside to have LOS/LOF from the damaged buildings.

And now seems to work like a charm!! So this is great, thanks a lot.

The only thing that really puzzles me about this is: How come it works now? You see, what you descibe - and what I did yesterday - is exactly the same as I did last spring/summer. But with no luck at all back then. So I wonder if something in the game mechanics may have been changed in last patch for CMRT?

Your idea about the building wall models is beyond me at the moment. I don't know much about the models. I'll look into it in a couple of days when I have more time.

By the way: I think we should continue this discussion in my Factory Mods Scenarios Designer´s Thread - so as not to hijack Nigel´s thread completely.

Cheers

Okay, that seems to work. I just did some model swapping, and the game engine allows LoS based upon the model.

That sounds good. Like you said it puts a restriction on the use of that wild configuration elsewhere but for a tagged mid that a scenario designer is using that should be very do able.

I think that what @benpark is doing here is entirely relevant to @NPYE 's building thread. It could be used to create a mod that both looked as good as what he has done but still have working windows and doors.

Edited by IanL

Question to the pros. Beside PS CS, is there any other GFX prog that can properly read and write that version 4/5 BMP files? So far I just edited completely translucent (terrain) textures with an older Paintshop Pro version and v2.8.1 GIMP. They work ok in the game, but I also need something that enables me to work with alpha layers too! :)

Cheers guys  need to go through all that 3 times before this gets taken in but will work brilliantly with my mods and what im currently working on. I've decided to update the internal sections of the builds to make them a little more 1940s and i\m using Alpha channels to cut out whole windows our sections of window even some panes of glass in a sash window.

Here's an internal shot i plan to make about 10 of these so i dont get to many repeats.

With the windows alpha channeled you an see the soldiers much clearer, as you would in reality.

You can see how this will look from the outside, just giv a little more depth.

Cheers for now.

Umlat I tried to knock out the windows on the commercial builds, using alpha channels, but doesn't seem to work, i know youve done it, is there a different process? Cheers Benpark and Umlat for adding to this subject, more minds are better than one!

That looks great. The idea to make a window pane is pretty sharp. Really creative thinking. Interiors are great, too.

The independent windows won't really knock out individually, they are part of the entire texture. You could knock out any area with the alpha channel, like Umlaut did in the factory mod (and as you are doing above).

Question to the pros. Beside PS CS, is there any other GFX prog that can properly read and write that version 4/5 BMP files? So far I just edited completely translucent (terrain) textures with an older Paintshop Pro version and v2.8.1 GIMP. They work ok in the game, but I also need something that enables me to work with alpha layers too! :)

I was disappointed to find that Paint.net did not handle BMP files with alpha channels well - even tried a plugin.  Then I found Artweaver and I did all my icon mods with it.  The free version can handle files that are 10k by 10k pixels which should work for more then just icons.  I am very happy with it.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

29349358921_e9f09f6c07_h.jpg

Hermanville Church June 6th 1944

29320904322_9371551680_h.jpg

La Breche, June 6th 1944

28804950694_fad848af58_h.jpg

Houses in Crepon, Normandy, June 6th 1944

28804949804_7574b5af11_h.jpg

The Battery at Mont Fluery, Gold Beach, Normandy, June 6th 1944

29349361821_6134c339bb_h.jpg

716th Infantry Division, tank hunter team south of Juno Beach, Normandy, June 6th 1944

Edited by NPye

• 2 weeks later...

Hi apart from the Caumont sceen grabs these are in-game screens, im working on a set for Normandy plus some other bits and pieces i dont have much time lately to get it all finished but i will, niot sure when though. Cheers

Ps The caumont shots are in-game but with Hd effect added.

• 3 years later...