Preview of the first Battle Pack

I would have thought it was a bit early. We've had Chris doing some streams of the game before the most recent releases, and he's been AWOL for the past month. That looks like they're busy. It's better finished and polished than a rush release to hit a pre-determined date. I've had enough of major publisher titles doing that in the past. It'll be worth the wait.

I would think they would want to spread apart the release of the Battlepack and CMFB if possible. I don't expect CMFB for a while but the Battlepack is just scenarios which I understand were mostly finished in September. If all that's going on is testing the installer I see no reason to wait on the release and there's still a good chance for a pre-Christmas release (I too was hoping for an announcement today). I expect the Battlepack will be download only so there's no need for BFC to have preorders based on their system, which is only have pre-orders to gauge how many physical copies they will need to make.

I would think they would want to spread apart the release of the Battlepack and CMFB if possible. I don't expect CMFB for a while but the Battlepack is just scenarios which I understand were mostly finished in September. If all that's going on is testing the installer I see no reason to wait on the release and there's still a good chance for a pre-Christmas release (I too was hoping for an announcement today). I expect the Battlepack will be download only so there's no need for BFC to have preorders based on their system, which is only have pre-orders to gauge how many physical copies they will need to make.

Keep in mind BF does everything now with a single installer so even a "scenario/campaign only" release has to meet the licensing and installer criteria.  It isn't anywhere near the same as user made scenarios.  I think you are correct about the whole pre-order aspect, but I don't really know for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news JonS, are we close?

We are in Release Candidate testing for the Battle Pack and Patch v3.12 now (they will arrive together). That is the final stage before release. The hour/day that we deem it ready, it goes out. The next question will be "when?!"... I can't say just yet. We have a couple of issues we are working through before I can give a better estimate.

Edited by ChrisND

We are in Release Candidate testing for the Battle Pack and Patch v3.12 now (they will arrive together). That is the final stage before release. The hour/day that we deem it ready, it goes out.

Thats great news, sounds close (barring any gremlins being found at the last minute)!!

If the Battlepack sells well will we get more? It seems like low hanging fruit to me (not that I want to make light of Jon's labor).

I would definitely pay for more scenarios for any CMx2 games. I was incredibly impressed with the Russian CMBS campaign and would love to see more of that caliber from Battlefront.

that's a terrible idea.  designers make what they want to make,  not what you tell them to make. 

Agreed!  Fastest road to burn-out is turning one's hobby into work.  Let's not create a "Former CMx2 Game Designers" interest group at The Few Good Men website.

that's a terrible idea.  designers make what they want to make,  not what you tell them to make. 

It was not meant to be a "DO THIS" kind of thing  but a suggestion of what people are interested in, and would work as ideas for scenario makers if they WANT to do it. Not else. As a scenario maker myself, I understand it, but wouldn't mind getting ideas from other people.

• 2 weeks later...

It was not meant to be a "DO THIS" kind of thing  but a suggestion of what people are interested in, and would work as ideas for scenario makers if they WANT to do it. Not else. As a scenario maker myself, I understand it, but wouldn't mind getting ideas from other people.

Besides what JonS noted above, you also have another factor.  Actual battles can translate poorly to scenario/campaign design.  Some things just can't be simulated well if you have too much familiarity with the engagement.  Also the soft factors and FOW that would have altered decision making usually don't play out well in CM.  We typically don't considering stopping just because we have heavy casualties :P

• 2 weeks later...