Preview of the first Battle Pack

I think I see the problem. One of the scenarios is indeed available. It seems the others require the Vehicle Pack, a $20 add-on that on release I found superfluous (YMMV) being a fan but not no longer a hardcore one. May be a case of age creep.

The labor and organizational skills required to re-install BF products makes one think of the onerous procedures to acquire a taxi license in the former Soviet Union. But we live in the age of piracy so I hesitate to judge.

We tried to make the requirements as clear as possible, but unfortunately we all fall victim to pressing the Buy button without fully reading information.  Or as I more often do, click on the Bid button in eBay just before I notice it's not what I thought it was.  "Oh crap, the x thing isn't included and is just there to make the picture prettier?  Damn!".

The installation issues were cleared up with v3.10, but unfortunately some people still struggle to do it the old fashioned way by starting with v1 and working up to v3.  That's definitely not a fun thing to do, hence the changes we made with v3.10.  Now it's just one (large) installer and one activation per product. Legacy issues for some people aside, it's now pretty smooth going.  All future CM products will use the same methodology as CMBN so we'll avoid issues going forward.

Steve

Yeah, there are a lot of trees on that one. That's the only one with that density of trees though.

Edit: 'The Copse' and 'A Crossroads Near Brussels' are probably good scens to start with.

Just played X Roads, nice scenario revisiting a famous English victory. Only got a tactical victory but some good small action fun.

JonS,

Enjoying the battle pack.  Just played Celer et Audax.

SPOILERS.......

I played both sides on this one.  For the first battle, I took the German side, thinking the AI wouldn't handle an attack well.  Then I saw in your designer's notes that it should be played British vs AI or anything goes.  I played it out as attacker anyway and it was fun.  That is certainly a very dark night.  Visibility was terrible.

I then decided to try it as British vs AI, figuring that the visibility would negate any advantage I had already knowing what the German force was.

The battle played out well, even with me knowing what I was facing.

However, I was unable to find the PIAT in the HQ halftrack, or for that matter, in any of the other vehicles.  I crewed them quickly and searched for the PIAT but it was not present, though mentioned in the briefing.  I wouldn't have looked except that it was specifically mentioned in the briefing.

A glitch, perhaps?

It didn't mess up my enjoyment of the battle.  My men were lobbing grenades at the enemy tank at distances of 5 meters over walls.  It was crazy.

Thought I would mention this in case you weren't aware.

Heinrich505

JonS,

Enjoying the battle pack.  Just played Celer et Audax.

SPOILERS.......

I played both sides on this one.  For the first battle, I took the German side, thinking the AI wouldn't handle an attack well.  Then I saw in your designer's notes that it should be played British vs AI or anything goes.  I played it out as attacker anyway and it was fun.  That is certainly a very dark night.  Visibility was terrible.

I then decided to try it as British vs AI, figuring that the visibility would negate any advantage I had already knowing what the German force was.

The battle played out well, even with me knowing what I was facing.

However, I was unable to find the PIAT in the HQ halftrack, or for that matter, in any of the other vehicles.  I crewed them quickly and searched for the PIAT but it was not present, though mentioned in the briefing.  I wouldn't have looked except that it was specifically mentioned in the briefing.

A glitch, perhaps?

It didn't mess up my enjoyment of the battle.  My men were lobbing grenades at the enemy tank at distances of 5 meters over walls.  It was crazy.

Thought I would mention this in case you weren't aware.

Heinrich505

I can't find it either! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2016 at 0:38 PM, Childress said:

Right... $10 dollars down the evacuation pipe. Life goes on with us or without us.

Well even with the VP its only 30 bucks and you get 12 scenarios, 2 campaigns, and some QB maps. Really great value however for future I hope they dont reuse 5-6 scenarios with just different TO&E's I would have rather had 5-6 completely different scenarios.

9 hours ago, lordhedgwich said:

... for future I hope they dont reuse 5-6 scenarios with just different TO&E's I would have rather had 5-6 completely different scenarios.

Meanwhile a bunch of other people are thrilled to have what if different versions of some scenarios - it is a different kind of fun.  As with everything we each have to decide if something appeals to us enough to make it worth buying or not.  No one release of everything will make ever single customer totally happy - I know not news to you are any one else really...

5 minutes ago, IanL said:

Meanwhile a bunch of other people are thrilled to have what if different versions of some scenarios - it is a different kind of fun.  As with everything we each have to decide if something appeals to us enough to make it worth buying or not.  No one release of everything will make ever single customer totally happy - I know not news to you are any one else really...

Me included! (The bold bit ...) I thought this was a really neat idea. I know one can use the editor to accomplish something similar, but being basically a lazy so and so, I was happy to have some alternative, what if, kind of battles over the same map created for me ...

You cannot please all of the people, all of the time. I guess BF would just be happy if they got to please *some* of us, *some* of the time ... :D

2 hours ago, Raptorx7 said:

It probably wouldn't be a bad idea for the next Battlepack release to list the scenarios and there descriptions so people know what they are about.

You mean ... something like the post which started this very thread? :D

As you can imagine, I'm really pleased y'all are enjoying the scenarios! There's a nice wee write up about the pack here.

On 3/23/2016 at 10:24 AM, IanL said:

I never said it was worth buying just stating my preference to me the mix in to&e wasnt enough to make me want to replay them. That being said the price of the VP + BP is only 30 dollars and you are getting almost the same amount of content as you get in a module for less which is great and I hope to see more battlepacks I hope it was a success so we see some made after the Italian force pack releases  

• 1 month later...

JonS,

Just finished playing DZ Charlie (a), the US paras version.  Managed a total victory with the surrender of the Luftwaffe and about 35 minutes to go, playing Elite.

What a remarkable battle.  I won't post spoilers but the challenges are really something.  Several of my recent screen shots came from this battle - I posted them in the screenshot thread. 

You really need to know your infantry tactics on this one.  The opening is pretty much like herding cats - total chaos.  Then again, when everyone lands there is always the reorganization period because all the troops are scattered.  I thought this was well simulated.

I really enjoyed this battle, and the map was extraordinary.  Casualties are easy to amass if you don't plan out the moves well.  Because there are so many victory locations I found that I really had about 6 separate battles going on within the big one.  This made it really neat, because you had to approach each victory location differently with different mixes of troops.  It meant that it took a long time to play out, but each turn was comprised of several different struggles.

Very nicely done.  I'll wait for a while before I try the British paras version so the enemy locations won't be fresh in my memory.

Thanks for your efforts. 

Heinrich505