Some random questions

What does RHA stand for and mean?

How would WW2 era German 88 or Panther hi velocity 75 against modern armor? Obviously it wouldnt do jack to chobham but what about T55s/T62/72s?

I'm gonna say "Spannnnggg!" At least off the Glacis. MBTs of that generation had 100mm-and-up high velocity guns to breach their contemporaries' armour. You might get a penetration out of the 75 L/70 or 88 L/71 guns at really close range.

Side armour's a different matter. Less sloped and thin enough to be vulnerable out to a decent range.

Just outta curiosity. I wonder if an 88 could knock out an M1A2SEP even from the rear.

so if RHA really is just armor thickness why do i seem to recall different figures between armor thickness and RHA? And why does RHA as a term really seem to only come into being in more modern times?

It became fairly clear by the end of WW2 that RHA was overall the best type of steel armour they could use, so when we started getting modern composite armours where thickness alone is entirely inadequate to indicate overall resistance to penetration (the relative thicknesses of all the components of the composite sandwich have to be taken into account) just lumping the whole armour cross section into an "equivalency" became a useful shorthand. Before that, apart from the occasional aluminium armour (I'm looking at you, Scorpion family of light AFV), all armour plate was pretty much equivalent material, being RHA, so "RHA equivalent" was just a longhand way of saying "millimetres of armour".

Before that, apart from the occasional aluminium armour (I'm looking at you, Scorpion family of light AFV), all armour plate was pretty much equivalent material, being RHA, so "RHA equivalent" was just a longhand way of saying "millimetres of armour".

There is also FHA (face hardened armor) and cast armor.