Tiger`s reputation may be in need of a rewrite

Indeed. It's interesting that in the author's attempt to diminish the mythology around the Tiger he ... plays straight into the mythology around the Tiger :rolleyes: Wittmann's rampage at V-B was actually impressive, but there's no need to gild the lily to make it seem impressive.

Edited by JonS

Interesting, thanks for the article.

In game terms, I seldom buy Tigers for the western front games. Too expensive in rarity points and I find the Panther quite effective against pretty much anything the Yanks or Brits have. Only the Firefly can get reliable penetrations against a Panther's frontal armor, and they have a "glass jaw" just like all Shermans.

Now in Red Thunder......yea.....I'll take a Tiger please.

for whatever reason i really like Tiger Is more than Panthers. Oddly enough Tiger IIs do nothing for me and Id rather have a Panther. But ya, ideally a platoon of veteran Tiger Is rest Pz IV Hs. :)

Might as well just drop the IVHs to StuGs, I reckon. IVs are barely even matches for the kitty-fodder Shermans at most ranges; might as well have something really cheap and a bit tougher to watch the Tigers' flanks and help the infantry out once the Tigers have won the armour battle... :)

Edited by womble

Might as well just drop the IVHs to StuGs, I reckon. IVs are barely even matches for the kitty-fodder Shermans at most ranges; might as well have something really cheap and a bit tougher to watch the Tigers' flanks and help the infantry out once the Tigers have won the armour battle... :)

Not sure if this was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but yes, I agree. In many battles, I would just as soon have a StuG as a PZIV.

Exception would be close in battles where I have witnessed the armor skirts on the PZIV intercept zook and piat rounds.

Not sure if this was supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but yes, I agree. In many battles, I would just as soon have a StuG as a PZIV.

Exception would be close in battles where I have witnessed the armor skirts on the PZIV intercept zook and piat rounds.

Only partially joking. But certainly not sniping. It's just that, on top of a platoon of Tiggers, against most things the Allies throw at ya, it doesn't much matter what you have. If you can get the kitties into good positions, the Allied armour is toast, and has to get rear shots (which you probably don't need other armour to prevent; some fausts and shrecks should cover your flanks fine against the things the 88s can't nail in time).

Only partially joking. But certainly not sniping. It's just that, on top of a platoon of Tiggers, against most things the Allies throw at ya, it doesn't much matter what you have. If you can get the kitties into good positions, the Allied armour is toast, and has to get rear shots (which you probably don't need other armour to prevent; some fausts and shrecks should cover your flanks fine against the things the 88s can't nail in time).

CMBN and CMFI, yeah.

Red Thunder.......no. Soviet heavies eat Panthers for breakfast, and save Tiggers for desert. :-)

CMBN and CMFI, yeah.

Red Thunder.......no. Soviet heavies eat Panthers for breakfast, and save Tiggers for desert. :-)

When I think on the subject it really is interesting what we know now vs back during the war.  The common ground pounder or tank commander didn't know how badly the german tanks were versus the soviet heavies.  I don't know how much info was shared back then but I doubt anything got down to the fighting troops, certainly not in the way we know it now.

Thinking of it like that, it's only word of mouth and personal experience that defines a troopers reaction to any target.  They were just men reacting to something that wanted to kill them, and fear is the biggest reactionary of them all.  I'm sure command tried to belay their fears with information and rationaliztion but even in this "modern" world, sensationalization is just as bad now and nothing I hear or read about is trying to kill me. 

So I can understand why many fighting men thought the tiger was the worst.  It's what they knew and they only heard the bad about it, not the good.

Just my 2 cents

It's conversations like this I'm really hoping CMx2 engine one day goes back further into the early war where you can no longer have the big cats. You'll love the day you get some Panzer IV's or anything with a 75mm gun to play with. ;)

Very much agree.

When your PzIII's all have 50L42 guns, you'll be overjoyed to get a reinforcement with a 50L60 gun :lol:

I can't wait... :wub: