Arty Explosions

I love this game.

I'm building a heavy urban assault/grozny style map.

Small, intense, with a LOT of Russian arty support - I'm interested in testing how US forces would adapt to the Russian super heavy bombardments.

But the CM3 arty explosions are awful...they look like arty dropped on the moon - slow mo fountain, thin, soft.

No violence to them.

What format are they in the game? 

Is it possible to replace them with a more detailed 3D model?

I'd love soemthing more vicious, such as the attached image.

This is most like too detailed for the engine, but a good reference for density,shape, style.

post-73700-0-61321900-1437072980_thumb.j

I love this game.

I'm building a heavy urban assault/grozny style map.

Small, intense, with a LOT of Russian arty support - I'm interested in testing how US forces would adapt to the Russian super heavy bombardments.

But the CM3 arty explosions are awful...they look like arty dropped on the moon - slow mo fountain, thin, soft.

No violence to them.

What format are they in the game? 

Is it possible to replace them with a more detailed 3D model?

I'd love soemthing more vicious, such as the attached image.

This is most like too detailed for the engine, but a good reference for density,shape, style.

Yeah... I'd love that kind of imagery. Meantime, there are some good mods out there that add a bit of zest to the stock explosion. I'm partial to Vein's, but there are others to also choose from.

This!

Really hope this is on the list of things to come with CM2 v4.0, or at least some other eyecandy. 

It certainly isn't going to be in CMx2 v4.n; if they were going to rebuild the graphics engine from the ground up on a different platform (not OpenGL) they'd've told us in the recent "way forward" thread. I wouldn't expect it in any iteration of CMx2, frankly. CMx3, perhaps.

Not saying it wouldn't be peachy-cool, an' all, just introducing some realistic boundaries to expectations.

that sure is a nice looking explosion tho, so much more "meaty".  The ones we got work alright for the normal calibers but the bigger stuff would be more fun if they looked more like that.  Even just changing the dust so its more out sideways and up in a column.  like you have the dust plume and the um dust disk, vertical and horizontal, more than the big dust spheres we have now.  And its would be great if the dust was thicker and better defined before spreading, like each explosion could have a bunch of little dust spheres in an explosion like layout and then the would spread and drift from there, so it would go from "meaty", opaque, and well defined; to big, diffuse, and drifting.  Maybe they could just add a bunch of smoke sources per explosion, change the parameters of each smoke bit so it works, and make it happen without a total overhaul of the graphics engine. 

ive noticed this too, and its so anticlimatic if you get the perfect hit. If you could somehow add the arty effects from Wargame: European Escalation that would be awesome. EE had some of the best arty effects of any game ive seen, with it getting worse as the series progressed. The sound too was great. I know this isnt how modding works, but if you needed something to model after you could do much worse than EE

ive noticed this too, and its so anticlimatic if you get the perfect hit. If you could somehow add the arty effects from Wargame: European Escalation that would be awesome. EE had some of the best arty effects of any game ive seen, with it getting worse as the series progressed. The sound too was great. I know this isnt how modding works, but if you needed something to model after you could do much worse than EE

No no, world in conflict. Beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HMcbQpGlmg

I dunno that world in conflict vid was not to my taste, I prefer CMs honestly.  I don't like how the smoke drops down into the ground and its too gray and needs the round shockwave of thin dust.  I just looked at W: EE tho and I like those ones, that seems like about what I was imagining. 

Edited by cool breeze