Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

WeGo question

I have always been a fan of WeGo TCP/IP from the original games where you get to playback the last turn.

Is it true that this feature is missing from the current game?  If not, is it available via a PBEM mode. I checked the online manual and it makes no mention of an PBEM mode.  Is there another more complete manual available when you purchase the full game?

Thanks

PBEM stands for play by email and that is in all games and works well.  WeGo over TCP-IP was not available at first in CM2x but was added back in. I was going to say in Black Sea but checked and see that it is mentioned in the engine manual for CMBS, CMBN and CMRT.  It is also mentioned as a new feature in the CMRT title manual.  I know some fixes happened recently that really helped fix things up I just cannot remember if the discussion was here regarding RedThunder or regarding Black Sea.

It would be good to confirm if the patch for CMRT 1.03 contained those fixes.

PS. When you purchase the game you get a title specific manual and an engine related manual.  The engine manual has details on how to setup your TCP-IP environment.

Bummer.  The PBEM was a bit unforgiving as well. If you could just set the folders to write the files to and the ones to receive you could at least have a service like Google Drive transfer your files to eliminate the need for an email step.

Oh well, I guess most people don't care for the feature, or they would add it in.

Bummer.  The PBEM was a bit unforgiving as well. If you could just set the folders to write the files to and the ones to receive you could at least have a service like Google Drive transfer your files to eliminate the need for an email step.

Oh well, I guess most people don't care for the feature, or they would add it in.

Did you try Cm Helper?  It transfers the incoming and outgoing PBEM game files for you.  Also has game chat, notes etc...  and it is free.  Here is one of several links to discussions about CM Helper.  The newest version is 1.6.2  You use it with Dropbox which is also free. 

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119566-is-there-a-tutorial-for-latest-version-of-cmh-need-to-prepare-for-pbem/#entry1608838

It is available for download.  Just can't remember where I got it from or I would give you that link.  GAJ maybe? Somebody will know and post it.   

Edited by MOS:96B2P

Yeah, CMH is good, and IanL has a utility "What [Whose? I forget - Ed] Turn is it?" (WTII) that has a slightly different but comparable feature set (I've not tried that one).

Either makes the process of handling PBEM turns much smoother, to the point of seamlessness.

One thing to grok with PBEM is the difference between hitting the "Big Red Button" and "saving" a game. You can go to the menu and use the Save function at any time in the replay or orders phase if you need to save the game before you use the BRB commit to the orders for the minute. I tend to save the replay phase, and just before I hit the BRB. The replay save is because I have CMH delete old files, so the .ema file for the turn won't be available to me. The pre-commit save is probably an unnecessary habit, since game turns hardly ever corrupt, these days, but of course that's only because I take precautions; soon as I don't save pre-BRB, the turn will screw up... 

Did you try Cm Helper?  It transfers the incoming and outgoing PBEM game files for you.  Also has game chat, notes etc...  and it is free.  Here is one of several links to discussions about CM Helper.  The newest version is 1.6.2  You use it with Dropbox which is also free. 

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119566-is-there-a-tutorial-for-latest-version-of-cmh-need-to-prepare-for-pbem/#entry1608838

It is available for download.  Just can't remember where I got it from or I would give you that link.  GAJ maybe? Somebody will know and post it.   

The link for the CMH downloads (Mac and PC versions: choose the right one!) is:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jvh9sx2zla2k0eq/S6LZaVAw_7

I see you already have some suggestions.  Here is the forum link to my turn helper app:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/110328-announcing-whose-turn-is-it-a-pbem-turn-management-program/

Once you have either CMHelper or WTII? up and running it really is pretty seamless.  The only thing Green as Jade and I cannot do is have the game start and load your PBEM turn directly.  Perhaps one day.

PBEM is a bit of a misnomer. Instead of thinking about emailing the turns (I have one game with 150+MB turn files and my email limit is 10Mb), think of it as a "Play be Electronic Means".

Dropbox is a far superior method to exchange turn files than using an email provider. It is free, it is easy to use, and many CM'ers use it. You set up an account, create a folder, share it with your buddy, and you each have access to that folder. You copy your "outgoing" pbem turn into it; he takes it from the dropbox folder and puts it into his "incoming" turn folder (within CM), and then he plays the turn. That produces his "outgoing"... repeat as needed until victory grants you her favor. :)

Using dropbox in conjuction with a helper program, here I can only speak for CMH, makes it seamless and effortless once configured. CMH will even set up a dropbox folder and share it with your chosen opponent. I had more problems doing it manually. I have learned.

The loss of multiple replays from the TCP WeGo option has effectively made that format of play redundant. I have now played 3 games of CMRT with TCP WeGo and unless the battle is no bigger than an extended platoon you simply dont get to see what is happening on the battlefield. The turn ends, you scroll over to that pair of assault guns to give them new orders only to find that one is destroyed and one damaged. But you can see nothing... cannot get any handle on what happened to them. It is like playing a wargame in the dark.

BF removed the feature because the new engine couldnt handle it in the way it was designed. For the serious armchair generals who played by TCP in the days of CM1 it was the worst thing they could have done... but it clearly wasnt a money spinner.

Which has left a good number of people trawling around for a game that offers what CM1 offered - but quite simply there isnt one of the same calibre. The frustrating thing is that changes to windows is making it harder and harder to keep CM1 up and working - and so the search for alternatives is becoming more frenzied. If you like TCP play then at a global level I would recommend Strategic Command Assault on Democracy - an excellent game and very playable by TCP, but it is a tile based game and not a 3D battlefield. In terms of turn based 3D gaming of good quality for TCP then the market is pretty bare.

Which does lead me to a thought - there are enough gamers aged 45+ who dont care for the real time click fest of most 3D multiplayer and who like the online sense of communication and fun that a turn based TCP game creates to suggest that there is a niche in the market (all be it probably a small one) to create something akin to CM1 with the WeGo functionality that it brought and make some money. At least I very much hope that this is the case and that someone somewhere will fill the void. 

Wow - follow up having just bumped into a thread Steve put out a while back regarding the future. And in that post was a mention of 4.0.

Steve - please please please can the possibility of reintroducing proper turn based Wego by TCP with multiple replays be considered for the new engine? I know it would require one machine to create the minute of action, and then transfer the video file to the other player in order to make multiple replays possible, but most internet connections these days are so fast that the length of time to transfer that file would not be big anymore. 

I guess players that like WeGo are all playing these days by pbem... but if they have never played the old TCP WeGo way they dont know what they are missing in terms of immersion. Stick a timer on the turn so that both players have to work to it, and add the banter that can be engendered either by typing or by something like teamspeak and you have a whole other world of play and fun. Email turns are dry. Players who are desperate can replay and replay and spend hours getting it right - or some will whip turns out in 10 minutes but there is no camaradery - or very little in an email comment. People are increasingly spending time playing strategy games online in MM environments like World of Tanks for example, and it is knocking pbem into the old days. I have played countless pbem games but dont bother anymore. It isnt enjoyable - and dont get me started on learning to best an AI opponent. A waste of precious life hours!

The community need the rebirth of TCP WeGo with multiple replays and timed turns. There is nothing like it.

Edited by Catacol Highlander

• 5 months later...

I see you already have some suggestions.  Here is the forum link to my turn helper app:

http://community.battlefront.com/topic/110328-announcing-whose-turn-is-it-a-pbem-turn-management-program/

Once you have either CMHelper or WTII? up and running it really is pretty seamless.  The only thing Green as Jade and I cannot do is have the game start and load your PBEM turn directly.  Perhaps one day.

Just downloaded your helper app...very, very nice...easier to setup than CMH...up and running in under a minute...thanks much for coding that...