Stupid Sherman Questions

I’ve been spending my time waiting for CM by reading and researching related subject matter. I’m currently trying to learn, mostly from web sites, about the much-maligned Sherman. The first thing I learned is that, from raw data sheets anyway, all Shermans are not created equal. A discovery that generated more questions than answers. Here are a few of them. If they have already been answered or are too dumb for a response please ignore.

1) Which was the most common version(s) for the theatre CM replicates?

2) Were different versions placed in specific units for different roles (E.I. infantry support, assault, anti-armor etc)

3) Was the Easy Eight as capable in real life as looks on paper?

4) Was the British Firefly’s gun superior to US 76 versions? Its armor seems kind of thin for a tank killer.

5) Did allied units try to utilize their faster turret traverse speed (one advantage it seems to have over the Germans) by out running the traverse of a German tank and out flanking it?

6) Was German steel superior to the allies (more protection per millimeter) or did sloping armor make that much of a difference (late model Shermans seem to stack up fairly well against at least some German tanks in terms of armor thickness.)

7) Is there a book out there that can answer these, and many other questions I have so I don’t have to bother any of you?

As you can tell, I am certainly no armor junkie, but this game has stoked my interest. It's cool to play a game where this knowledge can actually help you win. Thanks for your help.

German steel, on average was equal, or even slightly inferior (later war). It isn't the quality of material used, but, the quality of the design. The Germans had much First hand experience with heavy tanks seeing the many good Russian designs. The Panther, was a Germanized (and very much improved, at least in later versions) T-34. The Allies on the other hand only countered good German tanks in 1943-45, where the Germans had 1941-45 to develop their own heavy tanks. German tanks until 1943 were just about the equals to contemporary British tanks, even in gunpower.

The Shermans weren't really developed because of wartime experience. They were a theoretical design which were easily produced. Indeed, they were much better than any tank seen earlier than 1941, it is too bad that they were not used in large numbers until 1943.

The 75mm gun which armed most of the Sherman tanks had a good AP and HE shell. So, you didn't have to have specially designed CS tanks.

I am pretty sure that the 17 Pounder was a more powerfully gun than the 76mm. I am not sure about it. Tank killers arent't exactly tanks. Tanks were designed as infantry support units, as well as vehicles to destroy other tanks. Tank killers are solely designed to kill tanks, and do not fair too well against infantry. TK's usually try to pick off their enemy from long range, before they can be targetted and killed themselves.

The 88mm gun was indeed a great design. It can't kill anything with one shot all of the time, but, being that it is one of the largest commonly used guns it is a remarkable weapon.

You must remember that there is no single thickness of armour that is impregnable. Having a thick belt of armour without slopes can be very pregable. The Sherman Jumbo appears to have just a big slab of armour placed on the front turret. The rest of the turret and hull are virtually unchanged. It may seem impressive, so might a King Tiger, but, anything can be killed.

Guest Big Time Software

I'll take a poke at servearl of these...

1) Which was the most common version(s) for the theatre CM replicates?

Oh boy. Define "common" smile.gif This is really a tough question as "common" changed several times, and was different for the British and US forces. Basically, prior to the Bulge most Shermans had the underpowered 75mm gun with minimal extra armor. After the Bulge more and more tanks showed up with the 76mm gun and/or extra armor.

2) Were different versions placed in specific units for different roles.

Western Allied thinking was Tanks were for killing infantry and infantry threats, Tank Destroyers for killing tanks. Unfortunately this didn't work out too well and the Allies SLOWLY started to change this by upgrading Sherman designs to better go after German tanks. However, the TDs were still supposed to be a tank killer only.

3) Was the Easy Eight as capable in real life as looks on paper?

Depends on what it went up against. Vs. a StuG or PzIV? Yes. Panther? Maybe. Tiger or King Tiger? Not really.

4) Was the British Firefly’s gun superior to US 76 versions? Its armor seems kind of thin for a tank killer.

This was an act of despiration to all a tank platoon to at least survive an encounter with a German tank formation. The Firefly was designed to either make the killing shot or provide cover for the other tanks in retreat. Generally there was one Firefly per platoon (i.e. one out of 5 total).

5) Did allied units try to utilize their faster turret traverse speed (one advantage it seems to have over the Germans) by out running the traverse of a German tank and out flanking it?

Yes. This was more a natural advantage in the field. Check out the trouble those StuGs have against the Shermans in Chance Encounter. To see what I mean, try playing as the Germans and engage the Shermans in any way other than ambush positions. You will likely lose all three wink.gif

6) Was German steel superior to the allies (more protection per millimeter) or did sloping armor make that much of a difference

German armor quality degraded as the war went on. However, some of the armor used on US tanks wasn't so good. Worse, the construction of the shells used for the 76mm AT guns was "defective" and caused the shells to shatter instead of penetrate far too often.

7) Is there a book out there that can answer these, and many other questions I have so I don’t have to bother any of you?

I know of no one book for everything smile.gif However, if you want to sport about $75 for Hunnicutt's "Sherman" book, you will get pretty much every technical answer you can imagine from it wink.gif

Steve

I'll add in a few bits and pieces from the little I know about this topic:

2) I think from all the Sherman models, the M4(105) really was the only one with a special function, mainly infantry support. It had a big 105mm gun, but with low muzzle velocity, and IIRC, only capable of shooting HE ammo.

3) I think the Easy Eight indeed is one of the best Sherman models, as it has all of the late war extras, wet stowage for ammo, gun stabilization, the 76mm gun etc. If there is a Sherman I would have to choose to drive into action, this might be the one I'd pick.

4) The Firefly was a priority target for German anti-tank teams I believe. It was SOP to concentrate all available fire on those Firefly's if spotted immediately, so I guess this shows something about what the Germans thought about it. They were relatively easy to identify as well, I think, because of the long barrel and the distinct sound when firing.