Brief overview of where CM is headed

"but no Telly Savalas :D "

sorry Steve, but the no Telly Savalas thing is a deal breaker for me. I guess M-60 tanks with german markings is totally out of the question also?

I'm sure someone can mod in Kojak's face. Then all your soldiers can be Telly Savalas!

Good news. I have a question though: i own all CM games that there currently are and i plan on getting all that will be released. Will i have to buy the 4.0 upgrade for each game seperately or will one purchase be sufficient for all titles?

I'd expect each family's upgrade to 4.0 to be a separate $10. That's how it was with FI and BN going to v3 when RT came out, and though they're comparable, almost-identical code bases, they are different, so many of the overheads of creating the upgrade (playtesting, for one) have to be redundantly gone through for every title. I agree that it's an issue; it's a rod for BFC's back too, which I'll warrant they'd rather not have but architecture is real hard to change and the fact that BN remains on the upgrade path at all is frankly a miracle in coding terms, since it was never intended to be upgradeable.

I'd expect each family's upgrade to 4.0 to be a separate $10. That's how it was with FI and BN going to v3 when RT came out, and though they're comparable, almost-identical code bases, they are different, so many of the overheads of creating the upgrade (playtesting, for one) have to be redundantly gone through for every title. I agree that it's an issue; it's a rod for BFC's back too, which I'll warrant they'd rather not have but architecture is real hard to change and the fact that BN remains on the upgrade path at all is frankly a miracle in coding terms, since it was never intended to be upgradeable.

What playtesting ?

The scenarios are not updated at all.

And what miracle ?

No matter of CMBN, CMFI or CMRT, it the same game essentially. So how should a engine "upgrade" with a few additional features be a miracle ?

Edited by Wiggum15

What playtesting ?

The scenarios are not updated at all.

And what miracle ?

No matter of CMBN, CMFI or CMRT, it the same game essentially. So how should a engine "upgrade" with a few additional features be a miracle ?

Playtesting to find bugs is still playtesting, even if the scenarios are not checked.

And you'd be pretty quick to shout if the upgrade had bugs.

And "miracle" because any engine upgrade is going to be non-trivial exercise.

I work in IT ( not gaming industry ) and that's true across any software platform.

I don't care about graphics.

I don't care about FPS.

I don't care about visual air support.

I do care about correctly modelled equipment capabilities... *cough M2" engine" armour, blind-Russians*

But 4.0, please please please please, let us have a lobby we can go to to find MP games.

That's how it was with FI and BN going to v3 when RT came out...

Ah, yes, i had forgotten what it was like with FI and BN.

Now i have a nother question: the upcoming modules will take CMx2 to the end of the war. Will there be Volkssturm* (basically old men and children and occasionally even women) and Luftwaffenhelfer and Hitlerjugend* (both kids in their mid to late teens) militias? Will there be ruined cities so we can properly model, let' s say a Berlin '45 map?

Volkssturm:

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1971-033-15,_Vorbe

Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-1979-107-09,_Volks

Hitlerjugend:

8518295945_ee0b2c1d91_b.jpg

other_hitleryouth139.jpg

Luftwaffenhelfer:

flak-bunk01s.jpg

Man, looking at these pictures makes me feel depressed. -_-

Edited by agusto

as stagler said, multiplayer lobby, and i 'd add:  functional,clean,intuitive,themed ,inviting,making games happen

would give soul  for it , and give 10 dollars on top of that just as a gift

and all other features in v4 would make it even better

Edited by Lacroix

I know Volksturm and Hitler Jugend would probably be realistic forces the allies could encounter during the late war. But would I want to fight against kids and old men? Nah! A tad too realistic for my tastes. (We dont have civilians in game either)

3.0 Upgrade is also separately...

And looks like the "Battle Pack" will need CMBN 3.0 + All Modules (including vehicle pack)...

Well, probably there will be maps in the pack for all various modules, so that if you only own CMBN, you get maybe 5 missions, then 5 more if you have CW, then 5 more if you have the vehicle pack... That way, there would be more value for money for those who bought more modules. And more incentive to buy those modules.

I know Volksturm and Hitler Jugend would probably be realistic forces the allies could encounter during the late war. But would I want to fight against kids and old men? Nah! A tad too realistic for my tastes. (We dont have civilians in game either)

i 'd love to see kids in combat mission bulge ,and kill them or send them to death

i imagine, whole company of green/conscript/-2/unfit kids sent as suicide scouts in multiplayer games   (cos they are cheap)

Volkssturm units were legeally recognized as combatants AFAIK. According to 1*, Germany planned to recruit up to 6 million men between 13 and 60, though the actual number of Volkssturm men cant be determined due to the complete chaos of the final months of the war. According to this and other sources, there were about 175.000-200.000 Volkssturm KIA/WIA recorded, which indicates the Volkssturm was engaged in military operation on a large scale. The Hitlerjugend were mostly conscripted into either the SS or Volkssturm, most noteably in the 12.SS-Panzer-Division which was entirely made up of HJ boys, but the HJ did not fight as independet force. Luftwaffenhelfer were HJ-boys used to man AA guns.

1* http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Soldat/Volkssturm.htm

Edited by agusto

Scout missions are only suicide if you just send them crashing through the landscape at full tilt. If you take a bit of time to take a look from cover before moving on, there's a good chance of scouts surviving and re-joining their squads later. That's how I do it. Even though it's "just a game", I don't like unnecessary casualties.

Edited by Bulletpoint

Well i want a game as realistic as possible, at least regarding TO&Es of relevant military units. I understand why many dont want a game with child soldiers in it, but BFC could substitute the kids with grown men or only depict Volkssturm units composed of old men. Basically a Volkssturm unit in CM could be a Conscript, -2,-2, Unfit rag-tagged infantry formation equipped with captured italian and allied rifles, almost no ammo and a few panzefausts. There would not be a need to actually depcit the persons in the uniforms as children or old men.

EDIT:

BTW my initial uqestion regarding these formations was directed at Steve and supposed to be answeared with Yes or No. I didnt intend to derial this thread into a discussion about this.

Edited by agusto