New campaign content?

I think the problem is that BFC has to take what the community offers.

It has been said that all scenarios and campaigns are "donated" by some community members.

Looks like BFC has no time/money to create them. So whats there option if the campaigns or scenarios are below average ?

They still have to use them...

I too think there are some really good scenarios in CMBS but then again there are some which feel just sluggish.

I thought the quality of the campaigns shipped with CMBS was top notch. I was disappointed with the length of those campaigns though. As the OP said I felt I was just getting going when the campaign ended. That was a great pity for me as I love playing single player campaigns.

I've stated on these forums before that I'd be more than willing to pay for extra campaigns - be they official, semi-official or even fan created. I have nothing but praise for our community content creators - they do a lot of work to bring us more campaigns but we really need BF to get behind releasing more of this type of content across all the titles.

It's also a bit galling that official campaigns aren't getting tweaked as the engine and rule-set evolves. For some of the longer released titles not only are a lot of the community created campaigns slightly wonky because of changes but so are many of the official ones.

It's also a bit galling that official campaigns aren't getting tweaked as the engine and rule-set evolves. For some of the longer released titles not only are a lot of the community created campaigns slightly wonky because of changes but so are many of the official ones.

...yeah, i mean its not that the engine upgrade is free for us so i would expect updated campaigns/scenarios.

Looks like they dont care about that.

:D Nobody needs to worry about defending the people who provide content for the games or the content itself for that matter.  I've had some of my stuff given high marks in online articles and in various Youtube videos and I've also had to field complaints about perceived shortcomings of some stuff.  I have a pretty good idea of where most people are at with the stuff I create and the fact is that you simply can't please everyone.  That's why it is important to have a variety of people providing content.  No single individual is going to create something that everyone likes all the time.  It is an impossible goal.  So realistically if you are creating content you have to have a bit of a thick skin and whether someone enjoys it or not is entirely up to them.  If some feel that the overall content is always lacking then that's their opinion.  I do monitor comments on the forums and watch the Youtube videos to get a feel for how others use the content because I am always trying to improve my product.  However, If people think they can do better there is an editor that comes with the game and with The Few Good Men resurrecting the Scenario Depot those individuals are free to upload the content that they feel is superior.  So here is a unique opportunity for some to put their money where their mouth is and see how they stack up against what is provided since I can guarantee that those who try your stuff will be merciless.  Maybe if they are good enough at creating something then BFC may ask them to contribute something in the future.

theres also supposed to be a player made campaign about the 173rd AB thatll be more infantry centric in the works. That one looks very promising imo

wiggum can you stop hijacking every thread with a snipe about needed improvements and or how BFC just 'doesnt care about us' (call the waaaahmbulance)

Edited by Sublime

it never says needs all. im sure some scenarios will need all and some will need some scenarios. it is what it is. No one is making you purchase it and theres plenty of user made BN content thats excellent quality. I also remind you Paper Tiger whose made some of the best campaigns for CM and also nice long ones redid many of his campaigns to make them work with the many upgrades and feature improvements since their initial release. Such as Road Montebourg and Scottish Corridor. PT also made the only red on red campaign for SF which was fantastic. It made the force balance for straight up conventional fighting fair, was long, well built and basically was a red on red civil war.

What ?

"Battle Pack" = a paid update for the CMBN stock scenarios that needs all moduls inc. vehicle pack ?

Well there have been multiple requests from the community for exactly this - a pack specifically devoted to scenarios and campaigns and stuff that utilizes the vehicle pack.  That BF has found a way to accommodate that request would seem to be a good thing, what is the down side?  It isn't an "update", no one is required to purchase it to keep in line with engine versions.  Just those people who want this particular content.  It would seem to be a win win all the way around.

Im new to combat missions,all i played was the shockforce demo before i got black sea. The campaign i have played so far i think is awesome! Granted i am only on the third mission of the american campaign, but its take me about 4-5 hours to compete each single mission. I have had to vary my tactics wildy to fit the mission, and poking the bear is just awesome i think. All the single scenarios ive played so far ( ive only played 5 and beat 3) are really cool. This is probably my favortite strategy game atm. I might be missing something becuase, like i said, i never played the older title, but i just dont see how anyone could call this unimaginative. This is almost the perfect wargame imho, although i dont play it more than 2-3 times a week, usually i am tired from work and working out and i go for lighter game to relax, since this game requires so much planning, attention, and time, But when i need a tactics fix, this is the game i go to

Im new to combat missions,all i played was the shockforce demo before i got black sea. The campaign i have played so far i think is awesome! Granted i am only on the third mission of the american campaign, but its take me about 4-5 hours to compete each single mission. I have had to vary my tactics wildy to fit the mission, and poking the bear is just awesome i think. All the single scenarios ive played so far ( ive only played 5 and beat 3) are really cool. This is probably my favortite strategy game atm. I might be missing something becuase, like i said, i never played the older title, but i just dont see how anyone could call this unimaginative. This is almost the perfect wargame imho, although i dont play it more than 2-3 times a week, usually i am tired from work and working out and i go for lighter game to relax, since this game requires so much planning, attention, and time, But when i need a tactics fix, this is the game i go to

Ha, well I think if you really dug into the forum you would find almost overwhelmingly folks agree with you.  Activity on the forum can alter that impression, but if you take the time you'll see you aren't so alone on that.

Poking the Bear is very cool.  Not only a fun scenario, but a teaching scenario.  It is IMHO the best one for learning how to coordinate assets as that is pretty much all you have to bring to the fight.  Shame it is in the campaigns as usually I would head for those after the scenarios..then I get to that one and go DOH! so that is how I should have been doing this!

I am not what you guys would refer to as a fanboy, but I have purchased every Combat Mission game Battlefront has made. (Along with many of their other games.) So needless to say I really enjoy this game and spend a lot of time playing it. I think the scenarios/campaigns are excellent, but I do agree that the campaigns are somewhat short and it seems like they have been getting progressively shorter. Maybe occasional releases such as those in Squad Leader (yes,I am that old)days with scenario/campaign packs would help. I would definitely buy any and all such packs. The community does a great job with player created scenarios/campaigns, but it is a lot of work. Just saying..

From the Battlefront post:

"Also in the near-term mix is our first ever Battle Pack, which is a collection of Campaign/s and/or Scenarios designed to extend existing game content. The idea is that when a Family is complete, or nearly so, we should do our best to make sure there's high quality content for it. Yes, there are lots and lots of fantastic player made battles to download, however you guys have made it clear to us that that neither player nor BFC made scenarios are substitutes for each other. This is our first test of that theory! The first Battle Pack is for CMBN and ties together the content of the Modules and Vehicle Pack."

Oh well. I just needed to read a little more!  Life is Good!

To the OP how long did it take you to complete all the content that came with the game? A rough guess is all I ask.

Didn't count. But tumbleweeds  started to fly by the end of week 2 with the game. By the 4th week, despite preferring the modern setting, I reinstalled Red Thunder and currently am thinking of buying CMFI to kill the half a decade or so before BF comes back to this title. 

I don't really play NATO forces, having prefered Red on Red even back in Shock Force, so add maybe another week of content that I missed out on because of the general lack of interest in the subject. 

• 5 years later...

Apologies for reviving a dead thread, but I'm searching for some user made campaigns. I completed all the base game campaigns, battle pack 1 and TF Spartan Resolve (that one was great and user made I think). Single mission scenarios just don't work for me because there is no need to preserve units. 

I like Black Sea setting very much, but there is not much content for it. Also, what is the situation with shock force? Are there any quality user campaigns for SF? I played only the base game long time ago, might check it now with all the modules. 

1 hour ago, Trica said:

Single mission scenarios just don't work for me because there is no need to preserve units. 

Totally agree.  Campaigns are where the CM2 system shines - when one has the challenge of conserving men and ammo.  The player can't play as if "there is no tomorrow".

There are many great user-made CMSF campaigns (and scenarios) that were made for CMSF1 - but they seem to work fine in CMSF2.  I copied all my CMSF1 campaigns to CMSF2 when I deleted CMSF1.  IIRC I have over 50 or 60 campaigns.  The Blue vs Red campaigns are mostly good - altho I can't recall any stand-outs.  For Red vs Red, the two that I remember very well are "The Road to Dinas" - a long and hard campaign by Paper Tiger, and "Zawiya Uprising" - one of the most enjoyable campaign I can remember from any of the CM2 titles.  Good mix of units and no tricks in the missions.  Good old-fashioned tactical expertise is rewarded.

Edited by Erwin

2 hours ago, Trica said:

Single mission scenarios just don't work for me because there is no need to preserve units.

TBH, victory conditins should cover that.....Maybe try one of @MOS:96B2P's single mission scenaros for either CM:BS (Tactical Operations Centre) or CM:SF2 (Coup D'etat), they're a bit different.  ;)