Panther tank, good condition, just needs some tracks.

Too bad they'll probably cut it into scrap.

Cut it for scrap?  Shouldn't this thing go straight into a museum?

I dont believe they' ll cut it into scrap. Germans have done terrible things in the past, but they are not THAT bad.

Anyone perusing this 33 page document will be richly rewarded with every camouflage pattern known to man. 

It looks more like each Panther has it' s own camo pattern - painted by the Kreativ-Mal-Division 312.

Poor bastard. You know he paid for that thing. Just taking it is SO wrong. Even taking it and throwing a few bills down on the driveway is STILL wrong. Property rights used to mean something.

And who calls an 88 a "3.5 inch" gun? Newb newspaper blurber. The man takes his home defense seriously. I like that... If the weapons worked, he'd have been able to defend against air, land, and water. Instead, they just drove up and took it all. Organized vandals. Sigh.

Thanks for the Link to the PDF and the Video clip showing the restore. Really interesting what is left out there. Who knows one day a lost tiger might be found.

Nice to see Bovie is close to getting their Panther to run again, that will foiirce me to visit the Tank day they have the Tiger and Panther running at same event...

Poor bastard. You know he paid for that thing. Just taking it is SO wrong. Even taking it and throwing a few bills down on the driveway is STILL wrong. Property rights used to mean something.

And who calls an 88 a "3.5 inch" gun? Newb newspaper blurber. The man takes his home defense seriously. I like that... If the weapons worked, he'd have been able to defend against air, land, and water. Instead, they just drove up and took it all. Organized vandals. Sigh.

It' his own fault. He could have easily received papers for most of his equipment and police would have never bothered him (well, except for the calibre 533mm G7 torpedo with its live 500kg HE warhead). It' s not illegal to have a Panther tank or an 88 in Germany, you just need papers that proof it' s been properly deactivated. But if you dont have these papers, authorities must assume it' s not properly deactivated. The policemen just did their jobs.

Ve need to cee your pahpers!  ;)

C'mon; who here DOESN'T have that much HE sitting around the house?

Final comment: a 1940's vehicle, kept garaged, and they want papers? I can imagine going to my grandmother's house (bless her departed saintly heart) and asked for the papers for the old family car they've had since the '50's. It wouldn't have happened! Those papers (proving proof of purchase) probably disintegrated decades ago. 

Possession is 9/10's of the law. He's got 'em. Prove he didn't get them legally. Is there some guy (black pea coat, white captain's hat) wandering the docks looking for a missing torpedo?

Anyone with the ability to get those things needs to be hired by a government. Get 'er done! A doer, not a talker. 

How many times do you think he played "shoot the tank" with that 88 and the Panther? 

Have any neighbors actually been torpedoed, or are they just getting all excited over "might have beens"?

:) :) :)

Ken

Nice to see Bovie is close to getting their Panther to run again, that will foiirce me to visit the Tank day they have the Tiger and Panther running at same event...

Then maybe they'll make a proper war movie. Maybe even call it...i dunno..."Fury"?

Have any neighbors actually been torpedoed, or are they just getting all excited over "might have beens"?

Just like all of these incidents, I believe it's the latter.

I can see it now, "What if the torpedo exploded?! Won't someone think of the children?"

Well, the torpedo has been sitting there not exploding for 71 years, so I think it's okay. I think the real problem is people tend to ascribe a malevolent intelligence to weapons, as if the torpedo has been waiting patiently for a busload of children to come by before it explodes with all of it's might!

That kind of attitude is childish.

The Mayor of the town reported that everyone knew the guy had the stuff in his house, and no one seemed to care until recently. It's very strange to me.

In my town, there's a guy who has a demilled (no firing pin, breech block welded shut) 75mm Pack Howitzer in his back yard.

No one cares, no one calls the cops, the government hasn't swooped in to confiscate it, kids go over and look at it all the time.

To this date it has not come alive and blown up anything yet.

Naw, he was under a criminal investigation involving art stolen by the Natzis. When the investigators raided his properly looking for the art the found a few on things and called the appropriate authorities.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/03/nazi-panther-tank-and-flak-cannon-seized-in-raid-on-collector-in-germany

Final comment: a 1940's vehicle, kept garaged, and they want papers? I can imagine going to my grandmother's house (bless her departed saintly heart) and asked for the papers for the old family car they've had since the '50's. It wouldn't have happened! Those papers (proving proof of purchase) probably disintegrated decades ago. 

Possession is 9/10's of the law. He's got 'em. Prove he didn't get them legally. Is there some guy (black pea coat, white captain's hat) wandering the docks looking for a missing torpedo?

Obviously you have never been to Germany. :)

Not having papers is the worst offence here.

Naw, he was under a criminal investigation involving art stolen by the Nazis. When the investigators raided his properly looking for the art the found a few on things and called the appropriate authorities.

Okay, but what I'm not understanding is, why take all of his stuff? This smacks of police over-investigating. They were looking for a connection to some supposedly illegal artwork, then just arbitrarily decided to take his weapon collection for no reason. The guy is 78 years old, and has obviously spent a good portion of his life and probably millions of dollars restoring that tank, then the police show up one day and just take it all.

That makes me sad.

If the investigations turn up nothing, that guy should get his tank back, but something tells me he won't.

Naw, he was under a criminal investigation involving art stolen by the Natzis. When the investigators raided his properly looking for the art the found a few on things and called the appropriate authorities.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/03/nazi-panther-tank-and-flak-cannon-seized-in-raid-on-collector-in-germany

Fair enough, then.

Blame my neighbours. 

Just like all of these incidents, I believe it's the latter.

I can see it now, "What if the torpedo exploded?! Won't someone think of the children?"

Well, the torpedo has been sitting there not exploding for 71 years, so I think it's okay. I think the real problem is people tend to ascribe a malevolent intelligence to weapons, as if the torpedo has been waiting patiently for a busload of children to come by before it explodes with all of it's might!

That kind of attitude is childish.

The Mayor of the town reported that everyone knew the guy had the stuff in his house, and no one seemed to care until recently. It's very strange to me.

In my town, there's a guy who has a demilled (no firing pin, breech block welded shut) 75mm Pack Howitzer in his back yard.

No one cares, no one calls the cops, the government hasn't swooped in to confiscate it, kids go over and look at it all the time.

To this date it has not come alive and blown up anything yet.

Agreeing on the 'think of the children' mentality problem and adding that in some way pools are more dangerously than explosives for children. However, I don't think it is a good idea having a 500kg active torpedo laying around in an urban area. While the torpedo probably won't explode by itself I wouldn't fancy living near such a device in case of a fire in said house.

With regards to the Panther, rules are rules (at least in Germany) and while it is still his property it has been confiscated because of missing papers/registration. I don't think the main problem is the lack of papers onsite but rather the lack of registration with the appropriate authority. It's not just a 60 year old motorized vehicle, there is a 88mm gun on and possible mg's on it. Not sure if they could have easily established whether the gun had/has been deactivated properly. Who knows they didn't give him benefit of doubt due to the active torpedo laying around.

Although there are many stupid rules and overactive autorities around I fail to see the problem here ;-P