What do you do with Limited Ammo Mortars?

Wow, I asked one question but am learning about stuff that applies to many situations. I never knew that about target light!

Target Light fires at a rate determined by the range, really - they fire each round only after observing the fall of the previous round - so the further away the target, the longer it takes for each round to land ( this can be observed more readily with larger calibre mortars since they have greater range - it can be as low as 1 or 2 rounds per turn in these cases ).

It comes in extremely useful, especially since the delay between rounds is often just enough for the enemy to be picking themselves up from the last "bang" :)

...3-4 rounds per minute.  That means that your loadout of 12 rounds will be gone in around 3 minutes if you don't remember to shut the lads down after a turn, which has happened to me often and I find myself with a small infantry squad that is lugging around an empty tube. 

I've found that the one or two errant rounds at target briefly do tend to make the enemy drop for cover, although I mainly play against AI and this might not work well in H2H. 

Agreed.  The one over-one under-let 'em have it means that you might use 4 rounds to actually drop one just about where you wanted it, so Target Light would be the most effective.

Sadly, we can't "Target Light Briefly", which would, IMO, be the ideal solution: lets you have the "steady stream" of suppression that TL gives, but also the safety from forgetfulness that Target Briefly gives... Maybe one day.

As for the officers, you are probably right.  I usually keep them close to the mortars in case I want to use indirect, but I've never run tests to see if their presence close to their mortar crews enhanced the mortar crew performance.  The experience of the crew seems to matter though.  Again, just from observations and not actual tests. 

Keeping the officers that close for indirect use isn't effective any more. The little mortars (2", leGw36 and Brixia) aren't usable in indirect fire mode; they don't appear in the support assets. Since v3 I think.

Target Light fires at a rate determined by the range, really - they fire each round only after observing the fall of the previous round - so the further away the target, the longer it takes for each round to land ( this can be observed more readily with larger calibre mortars since they have greater range - it can be as low as 1 or 2 rounds per turn in these cases ).

It comes in extremely useful, especially since the delay between rounds is often just enough for the enemy to be picking themselves up from the last "bang" :)

I never realised this, good to know!