Definition of a Partial Penetration in CM

And while George no doubt saw the humour, Luke couldn't spell the word.

As tempting as it must be to play god, perhaps we should let the public be the judge. I stand by my comments.

And I stand by mine. I told you to knock it off, but instead you went after me. Twice. As a result you are banned for 2 days, which is a lot less than another moderator suggested.

I'm not sure what part of "moderator" you don't understand, but though I am not God I am here to judge. The public also is judge. And guess what? 2 against 1 in this case. Hopefully when you log back on you'll not start up again, because I'll not be banning you a second time temporarily.

Steve

Hot enough to be glowing, I would think.

I can't put my finger on any right now, but I've read a number of first-hand accounts that mention exactly that - a dull red glow in the interior at the site of a ricochet hit :o

Edited by JonS

Sorry, mates, but I could not resist   :D

Am I the only one who finds trolls annoying? Especially those of us who hijack the thread with their own personal agenda. When did this thread go from being about upcoming CM modules to "things Toblakai would like to see added to the wish list"? There is barely enough room on this forum for one troll, never mind one who comes across as holier than IanL.

And just because you don't get the joke doesn't give you the right to call someone a "troll". You are the one stooping to name-calling. I call it hypocrisy. And you are a hypocrite. You can look that one up too while you're at it.

People who live in glass houses ...

Just popped back in to read this thread. It's been busy!

For the record re BLSTK's initial comment - I took it as a joke - poor taste but hey nuances of forums etc it's hard to tell the exact intent or meaning behind words. So I gave him benefit of the doubt and took the comment as a joke. The subsequent comment by BLSTK I took less well but decided to ignore it. it could have been a joke but TBH it came across as something else altogether. I was going to bite but decided not to so chose to ignore the poster. Luke (quite rightly looking back) stepped in and called the chap out.

Anyways...Back on topic.

Re JonS comment I've also read accounts (IIRC it was by a British tanker in the Western desert) that mentions dull red glows caused by ricochets. I suspect that 17pdr coming part way into the crew compartment of that Tiger would have caused a wee bit more than a dull red glow! 

That picture of the 17-pounder shell poking through the armor plate makes me wonder how hot the metal would be immediately after the impact. Hot enough to be glowing, I would think.

ive heard of accounts where crews mention shells hitting armor and not penetrating leaving a glowing hot spot on occassion. im sure it probably matters how the she strikes, what kind of shell it is, etc

edit : ninjaed by womble

Edited by Sublime

For the record re BLSTK's initial comment - I took it as a joke - poor taste but hey nuances of forums etc it's hard to tell the exact intent or meaning behind words. So I gave him benefit of the doubt and took the comment as a joke. The subsequent comment by BLSTK I took less well but decided to ignore it. it could have been a joke but TBH it came across as something else altogether. I was going to bite but decided not to so chose to ignore the poster. Luke (quite rightly looking back) stepped in and called the chap out.

Thanks for adding your point of view. Hopefully BLSTK will note this and learn from it. I really don't want to punt him from the Forum completely, especially over something so trivially stupid as this. But that's not for me to decide.

Steve

Yeah, it's kind of hard to wrap my mind around the kind of forces and pressures involved in something like that.

"more than a little" :)

That Tiger partial penetration that George cited would likely have killed multiple crewmen if it hit the crew space. Look at the amount of armor that is missing. It's a pretty good handful splintered (spalled) moving in all directions at high velocity. Inside the confined space of an AFV that's more than likely to tear someone apart.

Steve

Is there anywhere on a Tiger with that much armor which does NOT have crew-space behind it?

The Schnapps stowage compartment is actually even more heavily armored.  Though occasionally a crew member has been found to wedge themselves in there. :D

For what it is worth, I got the joke both times, but to be honest it wasn't really funny. Sorry Blstk, but the first double entendre reference was a little funny, predictable, but a little funny.  Repeating it not so much - kind of like when you are out at a bar and a guy who is well into his cups makes an off color joke that is a little embarrassing in the circumstances because the lass you are trying to hit up on was clearly offended... and a few moments go by, the moment passes, things are back on track with the aforementioned romantic interest and then the drunk says it louder again.  Just not cool.  The sniping afterwards is where the wheels come off and the conversation goes totally flat.

Notice the use of lass George, did I get the atmosphere right on that?  :D

For what it is worth, I got the joke both times, but to be honest it wasn't really funny. Sorry Blstk, but the first double entendre reference was a little funny, predictable, but a little funny.  Repeating it not so much - kind of like when you are out at a bar and a guy who is well into his cups makes an off color joke that is a little embarrassing in the circumstances because the lass you are trying to hit up on was clearly offended... and a few moments go by, the moment passes, things are back on track with the aforementioned romantic interest and then the drunk says it louder again.  Just not cool.  The sniping afterwards is where the wheels come off and the conversation goes totally flat.

Same here. Contrary to what BLSTK thinks, I got the joke perfectly fine both times.