Bridgehead at Kharalyk DAR (NO RHYS!)

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-08-24%2015-59-04

My BMP-3 attempts to flank the Bradley, dodging a few Abrams rounds.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-08-24%2015-59-09

But the Bradley is waiting and promptly turns my BMP-3 into another massive fireball.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-08-24%2015-59-59

My squad dismounts from the bogged BMP-3 and moves forward. I don't think I'll send them to hunt the Bradley though.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-08-24%2016-01-06

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-08-24%2016-00-46

On my left flank, a BMP-3 wades along the river to reinforce the position. He will end up in the treeline to cover the gap where I assume my opponent is headed. A T-90, another BMP-3 and a RPG team comprise the rest of the defense.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-08-24%2016-03-03

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-08-24%2016-03-08

A couple of overview shots showing the game at the moment.

Good news: I still have a more or less uncommitted infantry company with most of its vehicles in the town. Because of the geography it will fortunately be difficult to blast the town to pieces from afar.

I believe I have made a sizable dent in my opponent's infantry. I know I've destroyed three Bradleys, and I'm fairly certain helicopters took out two more in the early stages of the game. I also have destroyed one HUMVEE and put a few rounds into another Bradley.

My opponent still seems to lack a clear direction, although he appears to be moving towards both flanks with two Bradleys or so for each. 

I have taken out four Abrams' and I believe immobilized a fifth. One more may have gun damage. He still has seven Abrams though and I'm rapidly running out of things to destroy them with

I still have two helicopters with decent ammo loadouts that should commence their attack runs in a few minutes. I hope he's running low on APS. They are targeting an area with at least three Bradleys and four Abrams. Godspeed helomen!

Bad news: I am down to two fully operational T-90s with a further immobilized tank in a not particularly useful position. I really cannot engage my opponent at any kind of longer range. I still have one Khrizantema, but it is covering an area my opponent seems to now know to avoid. Its thin armour and rather lengthy minimum range mean I'm unsure if it will be particularly useful.

I am running quite low on artillery and get the sense that my generous bombardment of the hilltop farm was not particularly effective, although it did temporarily deny my opponent the terrain. I am practically out of mortar rounds (a truck or two sure would be swell).

My BMP-3's keep exploding into giant fireballs. Maybe they're defective?

Great AAR and like the images (which I can see). It does sound like you are holding the line effectively. It's difficult to see what your oppo is seeking to achieve, as in there is no clear schwerepunkt, unless he's probing your forward lines to prompt a response...?

Great AAR and like the images (which I can see). It does sound like you are holding the line effectively. It's difficult to see what your oppo is seeking to achieve, as in there is no clear schwerepunkt, unless he's probing your forward lines to prompt a response...?

Well, I don't really have much to respond with at this point (whoops!), so I'll just pigeonhole my forces as best as I can and wait and see. I'm not really sure why he's bothering to push down my right flank. His tanks on the hill do have very good overwatch positions, but any infantry will have to push through quite a bit of town (which isn't really defended, but he doesn't know that).

He! I liked your BMP mini nuclear explosions! They're bombs on tracks eh. I've wondered about driving full tilt into an opponent's position with them. TBH sometimes that seems like the only way to effectively use them against the US! ;)

Looking forward to seeing how he deals with your mini Stalingrad when he gets into town.

Great write-up, and greatpix! Keep them coming. :D

Couple of questions, which I think may have been answered already:

1/. Roughly how many times will APS work (ballpark?) per vehicle? Are we talking 3 times, or 10 times?

2/. Ditto with smoke; how may volleys (ballpark) does a tank get?

3/. When a 'laser warning' occurs, I assume the AI will automatically 1/. Deploy smoke 2/. Reverse or 3/. Move into cover (or combination of these)?

Great write-up, and greatpix! Keep them coming. :D

Couple of questions, which I think may have been answered already:

1/. Roughly how many times will APS work (ballpark?) per vehicle? Are we talking 3 times, or 10 times?

2/. Ditto with smoke; how may volleys (ballpark) does a tank get?

3/. When a 'laser warning' occurs, I assume the AI will automatically 1/. Deploy smoke 2/. Reverse or 3/. Move into cover (or combination of these)?

1. No idea! Seems like a lot though. APS has certainly caused me a lot of pain this battle.

2. Two for almost all vehicles in Black Sea I believe.

3. It depends. I've found that once my units have used up their smoke, they're much less likely to reverse or respond to a laser warning.

i just want to say any posts abt my skill and luck taking out us armor isnt intended to brag though i cud see how it cud be construed as such. rather its because theres a large (mostly russian) group that feels russian equipment os nerfed. its not. certain things may need tweaking but as is victory is certaimly possinle and even perhaps likely if forces are used correctly. otherwise the player could be a victim of putin propaganda about russian milotary capabilities, be a poor or unlucky player, or using russ forces the wrong way...

Edited by Sublime

i just want to say any posts abt my skill and luck taking out us armor isnt intended to brag though i cud see how it cud be construed as such. rather its because theres a large (mostly russian) group that feels russian equipment os nerfed. its not. certain things may need tweaking but as is victory is certaimly possinle and even perhaps likely if forces are used correctly. otherwise the player could be a victim of putin propaganda about russian milotary capabilities, be a poor or unlucky player, or using russ forces the wrong way...

1. Why are you posting this here?

2. For goodness sake, proofread your posts. They are painful to read.

Edited by LukeFF

i try but im typing on a cellphone, have big fingers, and when i do have access to a computer during my 60 hr work weeks id rather get my qbs outta the way and see my son or sleep.

my posts arent that bad. i posted that here because ( i think i was mistaken) i made a reference about killing several bradleys and abrams. I mafe those posts because someone advised me it was coming off as bragging and i wanted that clarified along with the fact I wanted to make an apology of sorts to him. feel free to have admins delete because i think this was the wrong thread.

also if my threads are so painful to read luke you can always select the ignore button for me. wont bother me a bit.

Btw ya so what theres a mispelled letter or two here and there. I went to college but didnt finish, and dropped out in 9th grade and got a ged when 40% was considered a passing grade on it. I obviously on a laptop can proofread and type but its harder on a phone. How about you just give me a break and stop jumping down my throat days later on the thread and select ignore?

Edited by Sublime

• 2 weeks later...

I accidentally deleted a few turns so I'll skip a head a bit. The bad news is that I'm now down to a single immobilized T-90. What I assume to be F-15 strikes took out two BMP-3s and a T-90 on my right flank. A Javelin destroyed my remaining T-90 in the town on the far side of the river. Gulp!

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-09-12

Airstrike destroys a BMP-3 on my right flank.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-08-36

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-09-55

A Havoc on an attack run unfortunately peppers destroyed Bradleys with 30mm fire.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-10-06

I decide to employ the amphibious capabilities of my Khrizantema and move it to cover my left flank. While it was well positioned, I don't think my opponent was going to enter into its field of fire after losing two Bradleys.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-12-37

An Abrams and a Bradley on the hill above the town. The Abrams on the left was destroyed by a Havoc. Thankfully this position doesn't actually overlook most of the town.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-12-14

I move half a squad forward, but the building I sent them into is already under fire by 25mm rounds from the Bradley atop the hill.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-13-13

A dastardly aerocraft rains death upon my meagre armoured force on my right flank. Once the first BMP-3 was destroyed, I should have popped smoke and reversed. Even having played Shock Force, there remains a steep learning curve when dealing with the rather awesome capabilities of American indirect weapons. 

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-12-57

Something is brewing on my right flank, but I'm not sure what exactly.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-15-40

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-15-55

My half squad meets their demise in a hail of Bradley and Abrams fire.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-17-10

On my right flank, I now only have an immobilized BMP-3 and roughly half a platoon of infantry. I relocate an RPG team to hopefully get any American vehicles that make an appearance in the side or rear.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-16-26

Too late to make a difference. One of my remaining BMP-3s moves to pop smoke to cover the withdrawal of the half squad that came under fire.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-20-51

An unseen Bradley fires upon the buildings on the left side of the town. Thankfully they are unoccupied.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-21-25

A Humvee moves towards the farm on top of the hill.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-23-45

On my left flank, a squad of infantry watches for any enemy movement. They will soon come under very inaccurate artillery fire and relocate.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-25-34

The other half of the squad that just perished makes a break for it. At this point I hope to stay out of any lines of sight that put my forces at risk of Bradley or Abrams fire. I simply do not have much to fight them with beyond 100m at most.

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-26-22

CM%20Black%20Sea%202015-09-14%2010-26-30

Yet another precision round ineffectively impacts near my immobilized T-90.

• 2 weeks later...

Well shucks. I just surrendered in this battle and I'm not sure if I'll get the chance to finish this DAR as real-life is rather busy these days.

My AFVs got picked off one by one, mostly by precision strikes and air attack, and I was left with a depleted infantry company in the town that was just slowly getting blasted to bits from afar. I honestly feel as if I outplayed my opponent, but APS and overwhelming indirect fire got the better of me. I recently played as the Americans against another friend and he tactically outperformed me by a wide margin, but I still won the battle thanks to APS and indirect firepower. I have to say that playing against the Americans is really unforgiving (not as hard as playing as the Syrians in CMSF, but still tough), whereas playing as the Americans with full APS is remarkably forgiving when compared to any other force in CM. I don't think I've fully adapted to the necessary tactics you need to employ as the Russians in this game. 

While the scenario is excellent, I would have really appreciated a bit more air support and a few more ATGM teams. Hats off yet again to George MC for the great work!

That was a nice report, nevertheless.

I have played this battle only as US against the AI. I believe that the overabundance of APS makes this battle impossible to loose for US. 

I want to try and defend as Russian against the AI but I am convinced that the only reason to win would be the incompetence of AI in attack.

Edited by Euri