COMBAT MISSION CONVENTION!!! AUSTIN, TEXAS (14-16 AUGUST 2015)

Come on down! In addition to you, I have many other Canadian forum/PBEM friends that I would be honored to meet and perhaps that kind of group's big Maple leaf money can add pressure to the politics. :D 

P.S. Please bring a beaver. We can do the smoker or just Mesquite BBQ. 

Very tempting, indeed. But unfortunately Austin, Texas, is not exactly "just down the road". At least not, if you look down the road from the Swiss mountains.

Since you planted the idea: Is anybody out there going to the "200-Years Battle of Waterloo" anniversary in Belgium? Needless to say: From 16th to 18th June.

Hey kohlenklau maybe you should advertise your convention in the other subforums of Battlefront.com as well, because you see, the General Discussion forum is not the most populated place here. I am sure Steve and the others wont mind it if you make a thread in every CM-related sub-forum (or better ask them first). Maybe you will even get your own anouncement on the BFC main page :). Just ask them.

Also you should promote your idea at other CM forums, like http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/.

But see Carl, you already are planning a join up with you know who! His plan was in a PM so I will maintain OPSEC in the public threads.

So, the spirit is in you both already to try to meet face to face at an opportunity and raise a toast to common interests. :D

Your mini CM Conference will happen before mine and might be better! 

Thanks Agusto. Good advice. I went and posted a bread crumb thread to lead them here....

New Rule:

Next year 2016 is a leap year and every leap year the CM Conference MUST be held at an actual WW2 battlefield city/location.....covered by a CM game!

Thus no Montevideo, Uruguay wisecracks please! 

So, where do we go in 2016? :D

Thanks Agusto. Good advice. I went and posted a bread crumb thread to lead them here....

New Rule:

Next year 2016 is a leap year and every leap year the CM Conference MUST be held at an actual WW2 battlefield city/location.....covered by a CM game!

Thus no Montevideo, Uruguay wisecracks please! 

So, where do we go in 2016? :D

Cool - at least 5 guys trained in Edinburgh before embarking for Normandy.

So... :P

I enjoyed Edinburgh as a port visit in '88 (age 23) as my salvage ship came back off Norway ops. Met a Scottish girl Fiona in a crazy club near the port. Next day went to the castle. Surprise! Met some American College exchange student girls...one was Nancy. General's daughter! "But February made me shiver with every paper I'd deliver.."
Basically college days in sudden overtime? We all crashed in a hostel and on the bus back to London we had "fun" while everyone else slept...

Later a bit the Lockerbie 747 was downed...I called her home and she was not on that plane.

Edited by kohlenklau

kohlenklau,

This appears to be shaping up as yours truly + 2 x nephews (the sons of my sister, Mary, who's a year younger than me). I pinged the elder of the two yesterday, and he got pretty excited. I have no doubt his brother will respond the same way. As it happens, there has been an evolving plan for some time now to get together for gaming of several sorts. This would appear to be the perfect opportunity for and fulfillment of that idea, and I hadn't thought of the nearby war piggery. How far are you from Austin, please, and in what direction? They live nearish to University of Texas, Austin, if that gives any frame of reference. Frankly, I dread the murderous combo of heat and humidity (hotter and more humid version has killed nearly 1000 in India), in addition to which, I'd have to minimize being outdoors (medically related temperature restrictions tied to head bang). Contrariwise, your Texas BBQ has me in full Pavlovian response mode just thinking about it! How long will you be cooking the brisket?

Turning now to some insights about your event from my own CM gathering experience perspective, your readers, with very few exceptions, have no idea how exciting this will be. I had the great good fortune, in the hallowed days of CMx1, to attend two, both held at the home of ACTOR. The first was the amazing CMBB Beta Demo.

He had a big house (not the "Big House" ), and when I walked in the door, he greeted me graciously and offered cold beverages and chips. The place was electric with excitement, with guys everywhere in a great swirling mass as they alternated among snack raids (hot dogs, too?), head runs and a massive effort to get the cyber gear up and running. You never saw so many computers outside of a computer store than at the CMBB Beta Demo. Looked as if every room had a bunch of computers crammed in, with CMers elbow to elbow in many. Hot and sweaty.

Somehow, I wound up in the living room helming a Russian infantry attack with a two or three T-34s in support. Very early war fight, and my troops were Green and Conscript. Very brittle. The Germans put up stiff resistance from their tree line defensive position, banging away with their Pak-36s, killing one, flinging Molotovs, which fortunately missed our remaining T-34/s and started several fires. Try attacking with such poor quality infantry. Quite a few casualties! Before it was all said and done, not only did we break the German defense utterly, but were in good enough shape to be able to exploit the breakthrough. Russian Total Victory. Talk about hooked on the game! I couldn't believe how cool it was. I think we played a second scenario that day, too. Mark Ezra, unfortunately the only name I recall outside of ACTOR, may recollect whether that memory of mine is correct. 

Not only was I the battle captain, but my team enjoyed a priceless advantage: a virtual screen about five feet wide. How? ACTOR had borrowed a digital projector from work, so we got to see the battle unfold almost as a movie experience, but from the comfort of his couch in an air conditioned room, while our confreres were perspiring profusely in their various battle  warrens. Having peered into a few, I was deeply grateful. Was there at ACTOR's house clear through to the end, and I helped him with the impressive debris field the battles had left. All in all, a rip roaring time, one I'll never forget! Speaking of time...

I was jammed for time (forget why) at the CMAK Beta Demo, but I clearly recall the huge battle Fruehlingswind, with the German armor surging across the desert on a broad front and trailing great plumes of dust. Truly, an impressive sight. Truly depressing, too, since CMBB didn't have it--and never got it. There was no continuous upgrade, leading to something I called feature envy. CMAK had them all, leading to great jealousy among the CMBO and CMBB players (who had Cover Armor, which CMBO didn't, together with drastically revamped and deadlier MG fire, I believe). Steve made it brutally clear that, because of hard coding issues, there would be no retrofit of features. Great were the resulting lamentations! And in order to do ETO with the bells and whistles, we were stuck with only what fought in Italy, depriving us of all sorts of goodies in the process. 

What you are planning, though no new game demo is in play, will utterly eclipse the two events I attended. Rather than a few hours, we're talking lots and lots, with all sorts of wonderful opportunities. Including what sounds like a stellar home cooked meal and craft beer! But it really comes down to meeting, and interacting with, the real guys (are some actually women fronting?) behind the avatars; to going from virtual connections to real ones. Online, you can be anyone you wish, but at your place, we'll simply be ourselves. The SPAM Gift Pack could cover many things, as seen here, and this is but the domestic range. And the possibilities of adding long-suffering (to be converted to CM playing) wives, girlfriends and kids (our gaming future) would certainly put some spice in the mixture. We need to grow our hobby cum reason for being! And the best way to do that is show people the games.

I'm really looking forward to meeting you and having all the fabulous experiences your hospitality is bringing about! Does your local costume shop have coal bags and workmen's caps? If not, how am I to recognize you?!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

John and Stephen

Looks like we might end up serving beaver brisket stuffed with vegamite salsa? :D

Lol, nobody will die of hunger on this trip.

John, we are not really doing any kind of LAN party in my house at this point but I do have some capability to project up on my 60" TV in the family room.

I would rather enjoy something like that at a hotel-convention center where we can all relax. 

Stephen, since the divorce, the only female in my house has a pink collar and a tail. But Austin and San Antonio are crawling with eye candy. 

Stephen: you are a serious longest distant attendee contender for the special spam collection!

The heat and humidity: We are NOT gonna sit out in the sun and heat guys!  Dang! Aint you heard of "air Kone-dish-nin"  ?

Bad luck ;-)

John-Kettler---Military-Analyst.jpg

Let me see....20hr flight......screaming baby.....person puts their seat back and crush my knees for 19.5 hrs... bad airline food.......hmmmm.

I hope its a excellent excuse to PARTY.

Question - Will there be women... I mean pleasant looking to stunners ?

Cheers

Stephen :D

kohlenklau,

Understood regarding LAN parties. Also, it occurs to me that if any jaunts are being contemplated to military facilities, we are going to need either a retired or active duty military person. That, at least, was the way it was last summer when with my retired from the Army brother.

Wicky,

Since you clearly weren't paying attention the last time I sent you a very public message, perhaps these will help!

Forum Rules

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Basic Rules

4. Members agree, through use of this service, that this Forum will not be used to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. Members agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by self, Battlefront.com, or its agents.

Abusive Personalities

2. Agent Provocateur - similar to a Sniper, but without overtly running away after the initial volley. Instead, an Agent Provocateur sticks around to make sure that the thread remains heated or otherwise unproductive, yet will not engage in the discussion itself in any meaningful way.

4. Hijacker - topics are created around a certain idea and the first post usually defines its scope. Threads naturally shift, expand, and contract as they progress. Some people, however, try to unnaturally change the subject or scope for one or more reasons. Usually it is to get the attention of one or more people actively posting in that particular thread.

6. Stalker - Members have a basic right to privacy on these Forums. Each Member decides for themselves how much, or little, they wish to reveal about their non-Forum lives. A Stalker is someone who, for their own selfish reasons, decides to reveal more than a Member wishes known. For example, revealing a person's telephone number, address, place of work, etc. It doesn't matter if this information is available elsewhere on the Internet or not, only if it is generally available on the Battlefront Forums or not.

7. Baiter - someone who purposefully goads another Member into a violation. People who make a habit of trying to needle someone into doing something they ordinarily wouldn't do are a detriment to the sense of community and therefore will be held accountable for their actions. That being said, Members are still responsible for how they respond to a Baiter, therefore it is possible that both parties will find themselves banned (though perhaps for different durations).

It is readily demonstrable that, in any given interaction with me, you routinely violate one or more of the above strictures. 

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

Kohlenklau, you live in Texas, dont you? Doesnt that make a Combat-Mission Rodeo obligatory or am i too badly influenced by the cliches we Europeans associate with Texas :D? You do live on a Ranch in the desert though, do you? ;)

Hey John,

Good news. The Camp Mabry Texas Forces Museum in Austin is just awesome and it is an open to the public facility. Has DoD guards but you roll right on through if you show your driver's license. Same with Fort Hood but you swing by and get a temporary pass.

agusto,

I only own 10 acres, all designated as wildlife management. But only on the other side of a fence is the longhorn cattle, sheep, horses and such.

I have never been to a rodeo myself so if you come, then maybe we'll go see it together for the first time and wear big hats and belt buckles and try and rangle some cowgirls?

Edited by kohlenklau