My game always acts like its forzen

This somtimes happens with my game too.  Maybe half the time after starting the game the screen grays out and the Windows "app not responding" message pops up. If I hit the close program option and then restart CMBS it starts fine.

Windows 7

AMD 8320 3.5 ghz processor

8 gig ram

Gforce 760gtx

all latest drivers.

I see that when I switch focus away from the game while it is loading.  If I just wait it all works out.  On Windows 7 there is a "wait" button that I click on that gets rid of the dialog box even if the screen stays grey.

im starting to think it might be the amount of saves i have that makes it laggy. after doing poorly on poking the bear 3 times, i decided to save every third turn. normailly i dont like to save so much since dealing with the consqeunces of my actions is half the fun of strategy games for me, and probably the quickest teacher, but ill be damn if ill play a 5 hour scenario a fourth and fith time. so as the saves started to build it seemed my game got laggier, is there anything to this theroy? also remeber the later on in the scenario more and more units are on the field, so it could be that, but my computer seems to handle even very taxing games quite smoothly

I am not really sure but I would be really surprised if the performance of the running game was negatively connected the number of game saves you have on your HD.  Now if there happens to be a memory leak after every save and you have a machine that is light on available memory and you save over and over in a single session of the game - yeah that could make a difference.  Also more units uses more memory so same could happen.  I know on my old machine that when I ran scenarios that were big it caused the whole machine to slow down because various process's memory was being swapped in and out of physical memory.

What happens when you see a slowing down if you shut down and restart the game?  Does it get slow again after playing for a few minutes or does it only get slow again after saving a bunch of times as you play?

I am not really sure but I would be really surprised if the performance of the running game was negatively connected the number of game saves you have on your HD.  Now if there happens to be a memory leak after every save and you have a machine that is light on available memory and you save over and over in a single session of the game - yeah that could make a difference.  Also more units uses more memory so same could happen.  I know on my old machine that when I ran scenarios that were big it caused the whole machine to slow down because various process's memory was being swapped in and out of physical memory.

What happens when you see a slowing down if you shut down and restart the game?  Does it get slow again after playing for a few minutes or does it only get slow again after saving a bunch of times as you play?

well, it seems really slow on poking the bear, if i shut it down and try again its just as slow. I deleted a bunch of old saves so i guess it wasnt that. I just thought of something litreally as i am typing this, doesnt chrome use qutie a bit of ram? like 20-40% sometime? I just realized i usaully chrome open while im playing. Im at work right now but i will try running without chrome tonight and see if that helps.

• 2 months later...

I've actually been seeing this behavior on the demo, playing Rolling Thunder. As I'm a noob, have been saving every turn, so 30-some saves. Pressing save takes well over a minute each time.

I'll see if I can't move/archive the saves out of that locale (can I do this, where is the save folder?) and see if that improves the Save game lag.

Check your processor occupancy and and memory utilization to see what is hogging your machine. Saves have no impact, the game is completely unaware of them beyond the moment you load one.

Browsers can be a sink on memory if you leave them open.

Reloading turns can have an impact. For example when collecting screenshots for an AAR I would load a turn, take screenshots, close and load another turn. On a large game I found in CMSF I could do that maybe 3 times and then it would crash.

Thanks guys; still checking it out.

• Interestingly, same computer, with no browser open, CM:BS still takes fore-ever to save a game.

• But load up CM FI Demo in the same computer/session, and the save process is near instantaneous. 

Anyways, no need for  response, as this is on demos (so not latest engine builds, which is likely something to do with it).

OT: Really enjoying the more prolonged battles / firefights of FI over the 'insta-death' of BS, though BS is visually and technologically very exciting!  

Archived