Syrian Army vs Insurgents?

• 2 weeks later...

I did a semihistorical scenario OPERATION WARHORSE based on the fall of Baba Amr district in Homs in 2012 to a 4th Mech Division tank battalion. No AI plan though: H2H only. Vicious urban street combat! You should probably add more FSA snipers and RPG teams to balance better for RED.

Repository link

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2525

img_2525_01.jpg

Edited by LongLeftFlank

Yup, my main takeaway from our test game was that I needed to add about 3x the number of snipers and maybe a few small IEDs. I also need to max out the pop density settings (BU AFVs spot inf in buildings wayyyy too easily, but that's a chronic problem with the game engine in general)

But I never got round to those changes as you know.

SPOILER.

Basically the only way for Red to win -- as in the real fighting -- is to strip off and break the already understrength Blue infantry dismounts, so the piles of tanks and BMPS are vulnerable to the very limited number of RPG shots.

I did a semihistorical scenario OPERATION WARHORSE based on the fall of Baba Amr district in Homs in 2012 to a 4th Mech Division tank battalion. No AI plan though: H2H only. Vicious urban street combat! You should probably add more FSA snipers and RPG teams to balance better for RED.

I played this scenario in a H2H game against Schmoly War. I was BLUE and i lost. I was able to capture all the objectives IIRC, but i took too many casualties. The rebels werent able to ward off my attack, but i constantly took losses. Schmoly War deployed his forced deep in the city and hit me with one ambush after another, he was really good at this. In the end i think i had about 20-30 KIA/WIA and 2-3 vehicles lost.

I dont think you should add more forces to RED. In my experience as BLUE player, the scenario is very difficult because your forces are not suited for that kind of terrain and the casualty modifiers are extremely strict.

IMO this scenario is perfectly balanced. It' feels absolutely authentic and it' s really cool.

EDIT: Now that someone mentioned this scenario, i would kinda like to play it again :D.... this time as rebels, though. I would love to see what playing the other side feels like. On average i think i can do at least 1-2 turns a day.

Edited by agusto

Anyone for an unexpected and thoroughly unpleasant ATGM addition to the UnCon inventory? How about the TOW 2A?! The Iranian Toophan (Storm) 5, a direct copy of the original TOW has long been in service, but this is something else altogether, and it's no copy! Straight OEM, complete with NSN. 

http://www.armamentresearch.com/captured-tow-2a-missiles-employed-in-syria/

An earlier post indicated the source was an unnamed Gulf State.

http://www.armamentresearch.com/update-tow-2a-anti-tank-guided-weapons-in-syria/

Toophan 5

Regards,

John Kettler