Suicidal acts or plain stupidity

I'm just playing CE as the german vs the puter, I lost all the stugs. But I saw 2 really lucky shot : mine last stug vs a sherman where the sherman and the stug shoot at the same time both were killed. But one of mine shreck killed a sherman that was 212 m away (I had 3% chance of a hit) I just could kiss him (the team was reduced to a single man) -what a shot man-

I need one of those shots in my current game.

it has come down to 1 StuG and 1 Sherman (last surviving tanks) fighting eachother at the T-junctions in the CE map. The CE junctions are covered by arty smoke and so its gonna be a pretty nasty close-range fight.

Whoever wins this fight wins the game.. Very nerve-wracking.. I have a schreck in the woods though that I'm relying on to do some damage to his tank if it stays outside of the smokescreens wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

I'm playing SS Panzerleader and he will read the post but it gives nothing away.

My StuG is within 20 metres of two squads of infantry in the houses at the T junction. There are clouds of smoke all around the T junction and the Sherman is on the other side of some smoke.

It is a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation where we can both see all the other players forces and it comes down to guessing what they'll do and dying if we guess wrong...

I'm waiting for the movie file to tell me how it goes wink.gif...

I'm winning the game so far with a score of 56 to 44 ( in reality it'd be a draw but the beta demo score bug will give me a minor win I think) but whoever wins this confrontation will definitely win the battle.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

FIONN - My 'Zook team were hiding in a foxhole facing down the road...when the H/T came into view is when the team took it upon themselves to run into the open to take a shot at the H/T..no movement factor was given to them and they were not fired upon before they ran. This has only happened the one time so far...possibly they became frightened when the H/T drove fast down the road, panicked, ran and when they knew they were NOT being fired upon decided to take a stand in the open to fire at the H/T and lost their lives in the process.

In the same scenario I decided to fire smoke from my Hellcats for cover knowing my opponent had his AFVs in perfect LOS to the upper road but the damn Hellcats decided to fire upon the AFVs before attempting to lay smoke and consequently now I have 2 flaming Hellcats..if they had laid smoke right away like I asked them too they could all possibly be alive. I guess your troops take their own initiative often making the game very interesting, enjoyable and frustrating all at the same time..sounds like my Wife smile.gif

Merry Xmas to all..

RWCANUCK

Guest scurlock

I've played arround with the chance encounter senario quite a bit in the last couple of days. I've been able to eleminate the enemy with only one loss (or no loss)of my own playing either side. I've also been badly bloodied playing either side. It's been purely a matter of timeing, and distracters involved. I'd expect the Shermans to be somewhat inferior to the Germans, booth due to training, and optics. Having said that I don't see the Americans as being truely weak gunners. Not as good as the Germans, but not weak. In a three on three matchup, me as the Germans, The count was three Shermans Ko'd to one Stug. The Shermans were in the open, the Stugs popped up from behind a hill all at the same time. I also had distracted the Shermans with MG fire just before engaging them with the Stugs. That gave me three shots before the Shermans could load AP. The same scenario, with the Shermans popping up at the same time: 5 Shermans vs 3 Stugs: the Stugs never got off a shot.

RWCanuck,

Hmm, no idea what happened there then. I haven't seen it.. Did you select them to see if they were panicked?

For the audience.. Both our vehicles survived although SS-Panzerleader's Sherman is now on top of the hill to the north of the church (south of the woods occupied by Germans) and my StuG is in a position BEHIND (to the west) of the wall to the west of the wheatfield..

perhaps next turn we can swap sides again ? wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Fionn, I didn't check to see if they did panick but nothing showed up on the screen like those infantry who have been fired at frown.gifshaken, broken and routed). A Platoon leader was nearby as well. Wish I had kept that turn now.

Unpredictability and Lady Luck to go along with skillful tactics sure makes CM a fantastic game!

RWcanuck

Guest Big Time Software

RWcanuk,

Your zook team most likely got spooked. There is a low level of "spooking" that won't register much in terms of the unit's Morale. Your zook probably had "Alerted" as its status when it moved, but not necessarily.

In any case, no unit will move to better shooting positions due to the actions of the TacAI. Either the Human or StratAI must explicitly order a unit to move for this to happen. However, the TacAI might decide to move a unit for defensive reasons and have it stop in a better shooting position by blind chance.

Steve